Hello everyone! I've just come back to air-rifle shooting in the last 8 months (or thereabouts) and am now in the process of researching gear so that I can stop borrowing my mate's HW95. I'll mainly be helping with pest control in a local private wood (with many hours' plinking to make sure I'm effective before starting to take any serious toll!)

I've joined this forum because you seem to know what you're talking about and you're not afraid of telling it like it is... I've read too many reviews that practically claim you'll be able to take out a cockroach at 1.5km if you fit this scope/silencer/pellet/etc. (and furthermore, they all enhance girth, length and stamina). So much for rational, impartial information! In short I'll be looking for lots of advice on the best start-up kit that my £300 budget will allow (gun, scope, moderator, sling, swivels, pellets and bag).

I've shot a Weirauch HW95 fairly extensively, a Walther Terrus and have had hands on with a Hatstand (ahem, Hatsan - it was an underlever that looked like some space-cadet thing and weighed more than my car) and a brand new BSA Lightning SE. I'll be looking for a springer, because of not wanting to troll around with bottles.

I'm looking forward to hearing your views and advice... I might not take it, but that's sort of the point of advice