Thread: How much Ss media to a 5lb drum and what other additives

How much Ss media to a 5lb drum and what other additives

Hi all

Picking up a 3 x 5lb drum rock tumbler this week that I managed to find locally for £80.00.

Plan is to use it with stainless media, how much do you need for a 5lb drum? Also do you add anything else? I seem to remember someone using rinse aid which may be a good idea as I live in a 'very hard' water area.

Final question can walnut media be used in a rock tumbler? My thoughts are I may use 1 barrel for dry tumbling to get the brass really shiny, as we all know shiny rounds shoot better.

Only downside is I have to make more room (tidy up) in the shed come workshop!

Thanks.
    Thanks for looking

I use 2 kg in mine and don't bother with rinse aid ( hard water area ) just a rinse with warm water to help the cases dry quicker
    And need sunglasses afterwards 😎
    ATB
    James

Forgot to mention cerAmic media is also now available and is used commercially by companies who offer this service

I have a Thumler (15lb drum?) and use 2kg of SS media. I also put a little washing up liquid and about a half teaspoon of citric acid to soften the water.

About 20-30 minutes on a low heat in the oven when the wife is out and jobs done.

I have tried ceramic media and the results are comparable but I like the way I can pick up the steel with a magnet - those little pins can jump out given half a chance.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

So of I'm using a 5lb drum could I get away with 1kg of SS media? Looking for a smaller outlay if possible as have spent a bit too much on shooting lately
    Thanks for looking

I use a big wide necked glass bottle about 4 litres volume with araldited in baffles filled about a third to half full with the stuff they put on the bottom of reptile cages and tumble about 200 x 357 cases at a time for a couple of hours. They look great and apart from picking out bits of media stuck in the primer holes they are ready to reload.
    You are absolutely right you do shoot better with shiney cases!