Thread: Pros and cons of compact match air pistols?

Pros and cons of compact match air pistols?

I couldn't find much on the web, so I'd be grateful if someone could summarise them.

Do they for example generate the same velocity as those with a longer barrel?

I'm getting on a bit now, and wondered if the balance and weight of a compact might suit me better than the full size.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Pro's are quite obvious: allthough it varies per gun.
    Most modern guns (pcp) only have shorter barrel and shorter cilinder
    Some older guns also have other the ergonomics of the stock to suit youngsters etc (which are usually the focus of compact guns), with a short LOP, for instance the Tau 200 junior. The 200 jr ónly had an altered stock. Action and barrel length were exactly that of the Senior.
    Some brands, allthough none excisting anymore in pcp-country afaik, lightened the whole gun, except only cutting the barrel and cilinder cheaply (like the Tau 7 jr). Grips may be thinner and smller in size.

I doubt the speed will decrease; you usually dont need much barrel length to achieve 7.5J, but its possible its a tad less. But as yr locktime decreases cause of shorter barrel, this is no problem. No problem anyway, cause speed is not important for 10m work (my Tay 7 match shoots only in the 120s).

Short cilinder/barrel: less front heavy, less total weight, less nr of shots, shorter line of sight, usually more recoil.
    Accuracy wise, no difference, there are even examples where the compact is unexpected accurate (tau 7 junior)
    ATB,
    yana

I know a few people who use LP10 compacts and shoot every bit as well as anyone else (in one case a lot better than everyone else)

They are generally lighter with less muzzle weight and also can assist if the hold is a little unsteady as the shorter sight base lessens the effect of any instability.

Shot counts are normally less however the Steyr can still cover a full match and sighters without issue as I Should think so would the Walther and Morrini options, the best thing to do is try one and see how you get on before buying, I personally don't like them as prefer a heavier pistol but I know plenty who swear by them.

Velocity wise, not a lot in it, certainly nothing that would effect accuracy or performance on the range.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Many thanks.
    Arthur

I'm picking up my brand new LP2 compact next week so I'll report back.

I've been shooting a mkII FAS604 so figured I'd stick with similar weight and balance.

I'm too excited to carry on typing!
    Last edited by Inspector 71; 06-11-2015 at 09:03 PM.

Recently got my own LP2 and love it, a very fine pistol indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    I'm picking up my brand new LP2 compact next week so I'll report back.

I've been shooting a mkII FAS604 so figured I'd stick with similar weight and balance.

I'm too excited to carry on typing!
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Depending on the kind of reservoir. A jr version with a grip reservoir will give same nr of shots as normal version.
    It may be 'only'co2, but have a look at Tau's 7 junior or compact. They're awesome.
    ATB,
    yana

shorter sight radius,in theory, but you can move the rearsight another 20mm further back than the position it is set at out of the box, so the sight radius can end up only 30mm shorter than its bigger brother
    I weighted mine to the same weight as the full length LP10 ,it felt a lot more comfortable to use than the long one
    looks nicer too
    someone said the shorter barrel is less forgiving but when I asked for details,no reply
    I much prefer my LP50 Compact to the full length LP50,which is heavier still than a long LP10 .It reminds me of the gun I had before the ban,of the match pistols I have had and will have, that is one they will bury me with
    Last edited by craig9mm; 07-11-2015 at 01:09 PM.

Recently picked up a FWB P34 short, I much prefer it to the full length pistol I have been using, it seems so much more pointable, less like I am waving a long stick around. There is no benefit weight wise with this particular model, but the balance suits me better.
    I just need to get my arm to behave...
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

I would say:

Cons are lighter weight and shorter sight base

Pros are lighter weight and shorter sight base......

Personally I like a shorter and lighter pistol.

Having said that any modern PCP pistol seems light compared to my FWB80!

Frog

Some people just don't get on with short versions of some of the well established PCP match pistols and other's absolutely love them so you need to try them for yourself and see if they suite you or not.

This phenomenom even affects some of us who love to shoot the relatively short SSP pistol's such as the FAS 604 and Pardini P10 etc but strangely do not always get on too well with the short PCP pistols - but there are always exceptions to prove any rule.

The short version of the Bennelli Kite does not seem to be as sensitive to "barrel length prejudice" and often suites those that generally don't like short PCP match pistols so it is very subjective and often model specific. The Kite also has a choice of 4 different cylinder length's available for it as well so that can generally take care of almost anyone's balance preferences !

I like my short Pardini K12 just as much as the full size K12 but cannot get on with any of the short Feinwerkbau pistols I have owned or tried such as the P34 and P44 models or the short LP2 or LP10 Steyr models either - whilst I find the full length versions of all of them very good to shoot!

The cylinder air volume can also be a problem with the short versions of the Steyr LP2 and LP10 pistols as they use more air per shot than any other PCP (and we have tried them all - many times!). Air is free of course so it is not exactly a big deal ( just an observation) but is worth being aware of if you only have one cylinder and sometimes forget to top it up before going to the club ! (ask me how I know ).

Comparatively high air usage applies to all Steyr target pistols - its just that the shorter cylinders holds less air to start with, whereas the short Benelli, Walther, Feinwerkbau and Pardini pistols are so thrifty with air use it is never really anything to worry about.

Back to the start then - try the one's you like the look of and see if they suite you as much as the longer versions of the same pistols before you buy - remember the short and long pistols cost the same - so it is purely a mater of personal choice!
    Last edited by zooma; 09-11-2015 at 03:24 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Thanks.

Does that greater air consumption of the Steyr pistols translate into higher velocity?
    Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Thanks.

Does that greater air consumption of the Steyr pistols translate into higher velocity?
    Most of these pistols (if not all) have a degree of adjustment when it comes to velocity - most seem to use 450 -550 ft/sec for paper punching. I think (older) steyrs are simply a bit less efficient in the air usage. Having said that any pistol that gives 80 shots is adequate for shooting a full match and enough for most purposes.

Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Most of these pistols (if not all) have a degree of adjustment when it comes to velocity - most seem to use 450 -550 ft/sec for paper punching. I think (older) steyrs are simply a bit less efficient in the air usage. Having said that any pistol that gives 80 shots is adequate for shooting a full match and enough for most purposes.

Frog
    EVERY Steyr match pistol that we have ever had or seen shoot including LP1. LP2. LP10 and LP10E are ALL noticeably greedy in their use of air and this is noticed by all those when they use a Steyr for the first time and compare it with anything they have ever owned or shot previously.

This unusually high use of air volume does not seem to be affected by the age or type of pistol - they just use more air compared to every other match air pistol ( and we have seen and used them all over the years)!

The performance of the pistol is excellent and this inefficient used of a higher air volume is just a feature of the way they operate.

As previously mentioned - this is NOT a big deal - just an observation but one that could be of interest if you only have one cylinder or like myself sometimes forget to top-up your cylinder(s) before leaving for the range.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    EVERY Steyr match pistol that we have ever had or seen shoot including LP1. LP2. LP10 and LP10E are ALL noticeably greedy in their use of air and this is noticed by all those when they use a Steyr for the first time and compare it with anything they have ever owned or shot previously.

This unusually high use of air volume does not seem to be affected by the age or type of pistol - they just use more air compared to every other match air pistol ( and we have seen and used them all over the years)!

The performance of the pistol is excellent and this inefficient used of a higher air volume is just a feature of the way they operate.

As previously mentioned - this is NOT a big deal - just an observation but one that could be of interest if you only have one cylinder or like myself sometimes forget to top-up your cylinder(s) before leaving for the range.
    Thanks Zooma - I've not used a very recent Steyr so couple not comment on those!

Frog