Thread: Pros and cons of compact match air pistols?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Pros and cons of compact match air pistols?

I couldn't find much on the web, so I'd be grateful if someone could summarise them.

Do they for example generate the same velocity as those with a longer barrel?

I'm getting on a bit now, and wondered if the balance and weight of a compact might suit me better than the full size.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Pro's are quite obvious: allthough it varies per gun.
    Most modern guns (pcp) only have shorter barrel and shorter cilinder
    Some older guns also have other the ergonomics of the stock to suit youngsters etc (which are usually the focus of compact guns), with a short LOP, for instance the Tau 200 junior. The 200 jr ónly had an altered stock. Action and barrel length were exactly that of the Senior.
    Some brands, allthough none excisting anymore in pcp-country afaik, lightened the whole gun, except only cutting the barrel and cilinder cheaply (like the Tau 7 jr). Grips may be thinner and smller in size.

I doubt the speed will decrease; you usually dont need much barrel length to achieve 7.5J, but its possible its a tad less. But as yr locktime decreases cause of shorter barrel, this is no problem. No problem anyway, cause speed is not important for 10m work (my Tay 7 match shoots only in the 120s).

Short cilinder/barrel: less front heavy, less total weight, less nr of shots, shorter line of sight, usually more recoil.
    Accuracy wise, no difference, there are even examples where the compact is unexpected accurate (tau 7 junior)
    ATB,
    yana

I know a few people who use LP10 compacts and shoot every bit as well as anyone else (in one case a lot better than everyone else)

They are generally lighter with less muzzle weight and also can assist if the hold is a little unsteady as the shorter sight base lessens the effect of any instability.

Shot counts are normally less however the Steyr can still cover a full match and sighters without issue as I Should think so would the Walther and Morrini options, the best thing to do is try one and see how you get on before buying, I personally don't like them as prefer a heavier pistol but I know plenty who swear by them.

Velocity wise, not a lot in it, certainly nothing that would effect accuracy or performance on the range.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Many thanks.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

I'm picking up my brand new LP2 compact next week so I'll report back.

I've been shooting a mkII FAS604 so figured I'd stick with similar weight and balance.

I'm too excited to carry on typing!
    Last edited by Inspector 71; 06-11-2015 at 09:03 PM.

Recently got my own LP2 and love it, a very fine pistol indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    I'm picking up my brand new LP2 compact next week so I'll report back.

I've been shooting a mkII FAS604 so figured I'd stick with similar weight and balance.

I'm too excited to carry on typing!
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more