Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for affordable alternatives to top drawer match pistols please

Recommendations for affordable alternatives to top drawer match pistols please

Enjoyed shooting an HW45, but fancy recoilless option. Cannot afford top drawer match pistols, are there good alternatives?

There are plenty to choose from that will give great results, the Gamo Compact is a perfectly capable SSP, as is the HW40, FAS604
    Another option is to look for a used older match gun ie: Walther CP2/3, Tau 7 , FWB C10/20 it all depends on your budget and what you want to use it for,

For a decent target pistol that is recoilless without the need for bottles of air or gas the Gamo Compact is pretty hard to beat for the price, a used one is normally around the £100 mark

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Enjoyed shooting an HW45, but fancy recoilless option. Cannot afford top drawer match pistols, are there good alternatives?
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

If you like the HW45, you may like the HW75 SSP. I think they class it as an informal target pistol. It has a better grip than the 45 but is not a match grip. The trigger is very good, but I found the need to cock the hammer a nuisance so it had to go. The HW40 is great for the price, but lacks the match grip of the Gamo Compact, however I prefer the HW40 trigger.

There are other 12gm CO2 bulb options such as the CP1, the list goes on.

If you are prepared to use bulk CO2 the FWB pistols mentioned above are very capable high quality pistols.

Also older recoiless springer pistols such as the FWB Mod 65/80/90, Diana/Original Mod 6/6G/10.

Lots more to choose from!

The Lov-21 is well worth considering.

http://sureshot-airguns.co.uk/lov-21/

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post

Agreed. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=4&o=14

A nice alternative to the CP1 which with a bit of tweaking on the trigger, a 10 minute job, http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...tml?sort=4&o=9and a bit of lube I managed this: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=4&o=33

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=4&o=13 I also did a 48 ex 50 at RMTC.

HTH
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 07-11-2015 at 05:01 PM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Yep, I'll agree with that, some of the scores I get with mine are ridiculous for a pistol under £100 new, I have on more than a few times equalled that of my Steyr which is both rewarding and annoying considering the £900 price difference

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post

Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Quote Originally Posted by nige346 View Post
    Yep, I'll agree with that, some of the scores I get with mine are ridiculous for a pistol under £100 new, I have on more than a few times equalled that of my Steyr which is both rewarding and annoying considering the £900 price difference
    Totally agree. Its sickening.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I have not tried a LOV 21 but the already mentioned CP1 is quite a capable pistol given a trigger mod (which can be simple or complex depending on the approach you use - e.g. a bit of tube for spacing or make a new trigger...) and a couple of turns cut off of the hammer spring to reduce velocity and muzzle flip and increase shot count. At £75 from Poland it's a bargain. Mine is pretty much as accurate as anything else I have - including dedicated 10m pistols.
    CO2 has always seemed fine to me for 6yd and 10m target shooting as it's done indoors and in reasonable ambient temperatures.

Having said that I have an HW40 with a hogue handall grip on it (massive improvement in the grip for me - I found it not hand filling and kind of slippy before fitting the hogue) and that is very accurate - some people in the MPL competion on here are shooting very impressive scores with them.

Frog
    Last edited by Frog; 08-11-2015 at 12:04 PM.

Lots of suggestions, thank you.

Is temperature a significant problem for CO2 shot-to-shot consistency? I be shooting mainly outdoors in North Scotland, so there will be low temperatures.

PCP was mentioned - I have a PCP air rifle so already have the charging equipment, what are the PCP pistol options?.

I like the sound of SSP (had to look up what SSP meant - yes, I'm that 'wet behind the ears' regard air pistols), the HWs look interesting, but out of my budget.

Regards

the Fas 6004 is worth a try they don't cost that much and they are quite capable
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Lots of suggestions, thank you.

Is temperature a significant problem for CO2 shot-to-shot consistency? I be shooting mainly outdoors in North Scotland, so there will be low temperatures.

Yes CO2 in low temps is not a good thing. If you have charging equipment PCP is probably the way to go BUT I am not aware of any low cost options - others may know better.

For a starter SSP an HW40 has a lot of merit or, as has been said, a gamo compact (with a trigger tweak!).

Frog

CO2 outside in North Scotland is probably not the best combination for consistent shooting. But shooting pistol target outside isn't ideal with crosswinds etc..

What is your budget Zephyr?

Somebody said the FAS 6004 isn't that much but they are close to £400 for the model,with anatomical grip. £400 is a hell of a lot of money for some.

My budget is low at <£100, so probably 2ndhand. But that will include postage or petrol.

With your budget for a target type pistol, you are going to be limited to a Gamo Compact in good condition.

Could you sell your HW45 to increase your possibilities?

Gamo Compact around £100-£110 used, HW40 can be had for as little as £70 used. Both are good SSPs. The HW40 grip is not the best, but the texture can be improved. Earlier ones with iron sights (not fibre optic) are best for target work.

The auto safety on the HW40 can be nuisance, but can be easily converted to manual.