Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations for affordable alternatives to top drawer match pistols please

Inspector71,

I don't have a HW45 (or any pistol), I just said I had enjoyed shooting one.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Gamo Compact around £100-£110 used, HW40 can be had for as little as £70 used. Both are good SSPs. The HW40 grip is not the best, but the texture can be improved. Earlier ones with iron sights (not fibre optic) are best for target work.

The auto safety on the HW40 can be nuisance, but can be easily converted to manual.
    Thank you. I watched a few Youtube reviews of the HW40, so I'll keep an eye on the classifieds.

If you wanted to go cheaper still, there is the Beeman P17, which is a HW40 copy; there is one on Guntree for £55.
    (That's GuN-tree, not GuM-tree!).
    Never tried one myself, but at the price it may be worth a go.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

I have shot the beeman p17 and it is a very capable pistol. If funds are short go for the beeman. It will give you the most bang for your buck. The hw40 is a bit better made but it is a lot more expensive
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Edtwozeronine is offline I say dear boy, would you mind awfully doing as you're told?
    http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/...+-a-8-f-3177+/

HW40 £100 brand new there. I had a hold of one while I was at the Newport store but opted for the HW75 in the end. I'm getting on with it pretty well. I have got used to cocking the hammer before firing, and see it as an extra safety feature.
    ***Proud Member of Castleton Air Rifle Club***

Air Arms Alfa Proj

Hi

I had an Air Arms Alfa Proj for a long time (just sold it and posted it today in fact). This is a great pistol for someone looking for an intermediate target pistol.

You can get them for between £300 and £500 in varying condition; they are a PCP, so no pump required - this gives you a bit more consistency in shooting (no one is going to sympathise with you if you drop shots in a competition because you're tired/stiff from pumping the pistol).

They have reasonable sights; they have a dry fire mechanism - ideal for training. The trigger is pretty adjustable too.

Downsides - it's not the same as the Steyr LP10 I also own! The trigger isn't quite as good; the PCP reservoir is smaller; you need to get anatomical grips (it comes with ambidextrous); there's no gauge on the reservoir.

But - it's quite well weighted (if a touch heavy), and it will outshoot most shooters!

That's my input!

Quote Originally Posted by nige346 View Post

For a decent target pistol that is recoilless without the need for bottles of air or gas the Gamo Compact is pretty hard to beat for the price, a used one is normally around the £100 mark
    *.*.*.*.

We have one in the club that is not being used anymore - if it is any help you can have it for £85 including delivery.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

CO2 temperature sensitivity is very exaggerated a lót. They're not cheapo crosman shit..
    Olympics records were set with co2 (in times there already wére pcp's).
    As long as YOU are comfortable with the temperature you shoot in, so will be yr co2 matchpistol.
    The Tau 7 has been tested from 10-20 C iirc, and gave NO change in fps nor variation, NOT 1 fps.
    Below 10 you wont be shooting very well yrself anyway.
    ATB,
    yana