Thread: Does anyone use a lubesizer?

Does anyone use a lubesizer?

I am looking for advice if you use one and what you do.

I want to lube .38"/.357" & .303" cast lead bullets.

I have been looking at the RCBS & Lyman 4500. The Lyman has an heater, is there any advantage to having one?
    What lube do you use, is it in stick form or do you have to make it yourself?

Never having ever used one I have no idea how they work so any tips or advice will be welcome.

Thanks.

I cast my own .32 for a zylab patriot pistol, then I lube with lee alox (put heads/bullets in a round plastic bowl and add a few drops of alox then roll the lead around untill coated, place on grease proof paper to dry, then resize using a lee sizer, (looks like a die with a plunger that goes where the case holder goes on a press, it pushes the lubed head through the sizing die up into a holder,) then I relube with the alox.
    Yes it's a long way to do it but it's cheap
    This is the 357 version http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?...oducts_id=1536
    Lee once had a advert showing how good the lube is, it showed a lubed bullet head (sorry for those who will complain about the bullet head bit) a blow torch is melting one side of the bullet and you can see the lube still clinging to the other side
    Last edited by airgunnut; 07-11-2015 at 08:57 PM.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

I cast a LOT and have 3 Lyman and 2 RCBS as well as a Star lubesizer.
    I don't like the leaky Lyman but love the RCBS (and their customer service).
    The Star is great for volume pistol calibre boolits.
    Use a good lube - White Label Carnauba Red is the best by far.
    BTW I hate Liquid Alox!

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    BTW I hate Liquid Alox!
    I love the smell of lee liquid alox
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    I cast a LOT and have 3 Lyman and 2 RCBS as well as a Star lubesizer.
    I don't like the leaky Lyman but love the RCBS (and their customer service).
    The Star is great for volume pistol calibre boolits.
    Use a good lube - White Label Carnauba Red is the best by far.
    BTW I hate Liquid Alox!
    Hi Dodgyrog, am I correct in assuming that you put the lube into the resizer and this is squeezed onto the bullet?

Airgunnut-thanks for the input. I have used Alox. It catches my breathe and makes me wheeze.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    Hi Dodgyrog, am I correct in assuming that you put the lube into the resizer and this is squeezed onto the bullet?

Airgunnut-thanks for the input. I have used Alox. It catches my breathe and makes me wheeze.
    Theres nothing stoping you using a different lube and the lee sizer

I use both an rcbs and lyman lubrisizers. You do not normally need any kind of heater, I've never had to resort to one. Lyman SuperMoly is a good lube for high velocity, 2000 fps, applications. The big advantage is they are SO CLEAN to use.
    if you are casting for your .303 slug your barrel before doing anything to find out what size it is. The Lee .312-185 is a good mould due to the fact that for some reason they are generally cut oversize, mine casts out at .3145", perfect for my .3142" mosin.