Thread: Curtis's and Harvey's

Curtis's and Harvey's

I've just acquired a pot of almost 3lbs of Curtis's and Harvey's FFF. I'm going to give it a go tomorrow and see how it goes! Has anyone had any experience of this powder? Strength, burning, dirty etc. I'll try treating it as Swiss #1 initially I think.

The history of the company is very interesting. Yet another bastion of the British industry at the turn of the last century. I've no idea how old my powder is but it looks fine.

I'll finish this post from my hospital bed tomorrow.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Curtis and Harvey's rifle powder was very highly regarded right up until the company ceased production. Far from occasioning your visit to hospital, it will be right up there quality-wise with present-day Swiss powder, of that there is no doubt. Bill Curtis, bastion of BP shooting in the UK and curator and general maven of all things relating to the Crimean War, and presently the incumbent source of all knowledge in the Royal Armouries, is, I believe, a great nephew of the Curtis of that company name.

Treat it as gold-dust, since there will never be any more, and deal with it as though it was Swiss in terms of loads.

Enjoy it on my behalf.

With envy - tac

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    +1 on what Tac says. It is sought after by muzzle loaders and (if in original packaging) by collectors. Black Gold.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Not, unfortunately, in original box. I spent all morning down the range doing woodwork in the clubroom as the weather is so bad so not a shot fired. Back down tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Then shoot and enjoy!
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Well it goes bang, but very smokey with showers of sparks. I've mixed a bit with some of our Henry's fine BP and it goes very well in the bigger guns with fine energy, but not something I'd use in the .36 pistol in comps.

Could be just old, maybe a touch damp or maybe not Curtis's n Harvey's at all. I may have been ripped off for the three quid a pound I paid for it. I think I might try some in the blunderbus tomorrow.

I put a clip of it on youtube in the Hawken 45 last week in slow mo with lots of sparks, but can't find it now. I'll put in a link when I do.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    Well it goes bang, but very smokey with showers of sparks. I've mixed a bit with some of our Henry's fine BP and it goes very well in the bigger guns with fine energy, but not something I'd use in the .36 pistol in comps.

Could be just old, maybe a touch damp or maybe not Curtis's n Harvey's at all. I may have been ripped off for the three quid a pound I paid for it. I think I might try some in the blunderbus tomorrow.

I put a clip of it on youtube in the Hawken 45 last week in slow mo with lots of sparks, but can't find it now. I'll put in a link when I do.
    Most definitely NOT -C & H, Sir. The real stuff is every bit as good and as clean-burning as the very best Swiss BP can be. As for the 'very smoky' well, BP is MEANT to be very smoky, else what's the point of shooting the stuff?

tac