Thread: .30 casting

.30 casting

Hi all,

Thinking about casting for my 30-30, anyone else cast for this calibre? question is do I cast for .309 and resize or go for .308 and resize? the rifle is a marlin with a 1/10 twist.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by steviebee View Post
    Hi all,

Thinking about casting for my 30-30, anyone else cast for this calibre? question is do I cast for .309 and resize or go for .308 and resize? the rifle is a marlin with a 1/10 twist.

cheers
    I use a Loverin mould around 160gr cast to .311" and sizes to .310"

Match the bullets to your rifle. Probably best to measure your barrel size and go from there.

This place has lots of good stuff on it:

http://www.lasc.us/ArticleIndex.htm

BB

Darlington. The Land of the Prince Bishops Durham

0.30/0.30

Would recommend you slug your barrel to determine exact dimensions of "boolit" for your rifle.
    I have a Marlin U/l in 0.30/0.30. Must confess gave up with lead bullets after a while. Just could not find the right combination to shoot even half decent group at 100 yards.
    Needs patience.

Dodgy Rog is the man for advice & guidance.

Al.
    AlBur
    Always Remember "Utopia Does NOT Exist"

30/30 cast

If you are using a Marlin, with microgroove you need .310/311. Reasonably hard lead. Dodgy Rog's loverin 155gn is excellent in a number of Marlins I know of...not sure if the mould is available anywhere.
    The Winchester with Ballard rifling does not seem to be fussy..I don't think the Marlin is 1/10 twist..more likely 1/12. My Marlin has always shot well with cast, from 110gn 30 carbine bullets up to 190gn k31 style bullets.

amc577

As everybody else has said, slug your barrel and find the actual size. If in doubt do not size the bullets at all. Marlins are notorious for being oversize, this why microgroove barrels have such a bad reputation with cast bullets.

Most mould manufacturers make moulds specifically for 30-30 and tubular magazines. I use mainly Lee moulds and never had a problem. For alloy I use backstop lead or wheel weights (if I can get them). Drop the bullets in to water straight from the mould to precipitation harden them to 20+ BHN, which is enough for up to 2200 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by amc577 View Post
    If you are using a Marlin, with microgroove you need .310/311. Reasonably hard lead. Dodgy Rog's loverin 155gn is excellent in a number of Marlins I know of...not sure if the mould is available anywhere.
    The Winchester with Ballard rifling does not seem to be fussy..I don't think the Marlin is 1/10 twist..more likely 1/12. My Marlin has always shot well with cast, from 110gn 30 carbine bullets up to 190gn k31 style bullets.

amc577
    NOE can supply the mould - I got mine there.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    I use a Loverin mould around 160gr cast to .311" and sizes to .310"
    That's what I do also