Thread: Theoben Evolution - accuracy in .177

Venture Guest

Question Theoben Evolution - accuracy in .177

Has anyone had experience of, or heard comments about, the accuracy of an Evolution in .177?
    I have read a negative comment (on this BBS) that a .177 gas ram rifle jumps compared to a .22 and that this reduces accuracy - and a positive comment (in a magazine) that the gas ram recoil is mainly reverse and not lateral, so giving better accuracy than a conventional spring.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Venture; 26-07-2005 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Grammar

I think all .177 'self contained' rifles jump and recoil a little more than their .22 equivalent because of the increased power to get the smaller pellet up to speed. I have a .177 Fenman and it does feel a little lively. It is however very accurate. Conventional springers recoil slightly differently as the coil twists when released.

Dazz

I've recently acquired a 1989 vintage Theoben Sirocco Grand Prix in .177 from Dafy555 and it is a lovely old rifle.

The recoil is noticeable but not overly so there appears to be very little if any muzzle lift on firing the recoil having a straight back feeling to it. There is no twist on firing as Dazzpol mentions due to no steel spring.

I would imagine given the similarity between this rifle and the evolution in the style of the action the performance should be similar.

Dale

Venture Guest

Thanks

Thanks Dazzpol & Rockdrill. I have taken the plunge and ordered an Evolution in .177. If I can carry out some meaningfull tests then I'll let you know the results - providing, that is, I can work out how to do that on the BBS.