Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PP700W pistol

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?

Power adjustments

I spent a little while fettling the trigger as shown in other threads- quite straightforward and effective.

Next I chrono'd it. Oh dear!

It was either very ott or ok- but very inconsistent. I started off by reducing the preload on the hammer spring. This didn't help too much, reduced the power but the inconsistency was terrible, 5.4 to 6.9 ft.lbs from one pellet to the next and so on!

Anyway- long story short, I gave the pistol a long coat of looking at The rotating breech block has an allen headed grub screw in the top, turns out this is an adjuster for the transfer port (a throttle if you will) Out of the box this is set flush with the top of the breech, looks neat but is totally non functional. If you swing out the breech block and start screwing in the adjuster it will take at least 4 turns until you can see it in the transfer port. At this point it starts to work.

After checking and adjusting I can now set the power wherever I want (legal of course!) but what is better it is now amazingly consistent, 3-4 fps between shots. I'm no expert, but does the regulator need a bit of back pressure to work properly?

Hope this helps anyone having the same problems!
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

thanks for the tip mine was same , if i screw the hamer screw flush, so it produces 12 ftlbs can i reduce the power to 6 ftlbs by just screwing in the breech block screw.

You may- but cocking will be difficult and so will trigger pull. I've left that adjustment pretty much as it was out of the box.

thanks ill do the same. by the way how many shots are you geting with the breech block screw srcewed in. ive screwed mine in about three quaters way in.

To be honest I've focused more on getting the pistol to shoot how I want it so I haven't bothered counting shots. My gut feeling is it's pretty good, but to me that's not too important. I would rather have 40 consistent shots than 60 inconsistent shots!

To anyone reading this and thinking this pistol is poor then trust me- it isn't. It's probably the most accurate and nice to shoot full power pistol I have owned (and I've had and moved on a few!)

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I went out and bought one yesterday and had a go at setting it up today.

I can't see the link about trigger fettling?, can someone repost it please?

I did set the trigger to it's lightest adjustment which improved things, and I turned the power down to around 4 as I seem to be having trouble zeroing it with the red dot sight I got with it. It's probably me though, I know how to zero things, but the groups are just way to big, but as I'm not used to pistols it's frustrating seeing other peoples groups and them saying how accurate it is.

I tried resting it on my arm and got better results, but resting either the cylinder or fore grip on the back of a soft chair was rubbish, it looked like it was not moving, but the groups would suggest it was kicking up, but you could not see it?

Does anyone have any tips for an effective rest for zeroing, I get it that I will never be able to do it accurately freehand.

Thanks

Not sure about this particular pistol, but the Caldwell Hunters Blind Bag works well (bay item....311460202506), or a DIY equivalent for initial setting up pistols/rifles. After that it's freehand...which is where the fun starts with either muzzle flip or poor technique or both!

What pellets are you using? Mine likes AA/JSB 8.4 grainers the best.

Just a thought (and I may be wrong) but 4 ft.lbs may be a bit too low as the pellet will take fractionally longer to leave the barrel and may add to inaccuracy. Something else I did while I had it apart was to polish the hammer spring strut and lube the spring lightly in a bid to shorten lock time.

Trigger fettling is down to removing the trigger and sear and polishing the contact surfaces, but be aware the small coil springs used are a complete pita to get in the right place afterwards! But worth doing as it does make a difference!

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I'm guessing it's just low experience with pistols, so I've not even got as far as pellet testing, I'm just using Accupells for now, I reconed at 6m it would be a negligible difference. As for power, I thought more kick from 5.5fpe, so turned it down for better shot count and lower recoil/hammer action.

It's my first pistol but I've been using PCP rifles for a couple of years now.

James

Doubt if any kick will make any difference as the pistol is fairly front heavy. Do persevere with it as I'm sure you'll be delighted with it once it's fettled to your taste and you've had experience shooting it. As for me I'm somewhat in awe of it, very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    Does anyone have any tips for an effective rest for zeroing, I get it that I will never be able to do it accurately freehand.
    One nice point about the PP700 is that you can get 95% of the way to being zeroed by bore sighting it as with the breech-block in the open position and the hammer cocked you can see straight through the bore.

With the pistol in a solid rest line the bore on the target and adjust your sight to intersect what the bore is pointing at.

Keeping your groups tight just comes down to practice.
    Last edited by rockdrill; 25-02-2016 at 03:59 PM. Reason: typo
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

first mod to the gun new weihrauch barrel, screw cut for a moderator its almost silent

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/p...psyipddinx.jpg

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/p...psi0xfyvqv.jpg

with weihrauch silencer

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/p...psppocsrmw.jpg

Well I picked up my second pp700 on Friday afternoon from Guns and Roses in Dewsbury, this time I got a .177 to match the .22 . To say that I am happy is an understatement these pistols are the dogs bollocks and a great price at £150 each. Also picked up a couple off decent shirts for a good price, a good little gun shop if ever you are in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by buttloaves View Post
    Ive said this before, if SMK could deliver this gun with plastic stock, slightly longer barrel, sub 12fpe, under £300 they'd have a winner..