Thread: 224 bullet mold

224 bullet mold

Anyone got any idea where I could get a bullet mold for a .224 40 to 60 gn cast projectile? It's only for loading some subsonic loads for my 222rem.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

bullet mold

Kranks do the Lee 6 cav .225, i have one and its excellent.

At NOE you'll be spoiled for choice, and they ship here with no fuss or bother. I have a Lee Bator as well, could wish it cast a little larger, but no complaints otherwise.
    AYA SLE 12b, Harrier FAC air, Sako Finnfire .22

Quote Originally Posted by SPILY View Post
    Kranks do the Lee 6 cav .225, i have one and its excellent.
    So they do, thank you. I didn't think to look in the six cavity bit. What's the fastest you've used them at?
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

bullet mold

Quote Originally Posted by DesG View Post
    So they do, thank you. I didn't think to look in the six cavity bit. What's the fastest you've used them at?
    Loaded .223 without gas check 4 grains of Trailboss, good accuracy at 25yds. Chronoed them at 1350 fps. I have gas checks but have not tried them yet. Look on powder site for loads, 4 gns is the starting load.

I cast 224 myself, found them to be very accurate considering.

I have a hardly used Lee .224-Bator mould I'll let you have for £20 inc. postage. This is a 55g flat nose gas check design that was special ordered by (I think) mid-south shooters supply. Don't use it any more as I use the NEI 72 gr. instead. I don't do paypal but PM me and we can sort something out. I'll throw in some bullets, ready to go, too.

2gr of Bullseye gives 1050 fps. 8 gr of GM3 gives 2509 fps. Accuracy in the 1 moa class. This is from a .223 Savage FLVSS.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew375 View Post
    I have a hardly used Lee .224-Bator mould I'll let you have for £20 inc. postage. This is a 55g flat nose gas check design that was special ordered by (I think) mid-south shooters supply. Don't use it any more as I use the NEI 72 gr. instead. I don't do paypal but PM me and we can sort something out. I'll throw in some bullets, ready to go, too.

2gr of Bullseye gives 1050 fps. 8 gr of GM3 gives 2509 fps. Accuracy in the 1 moa class. This is from a .223 Savage FLVSS.
    Sounds good. I use bullseye and GM3 in my Marlin 357 so ideal. PM sent.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Quote Originally Posted by sackot View Post
    At NOE you'll be spoiled for choice, and they ship here with no fuss or bother. I have a Lee Bator as well, could wish it cast a little larger, but no complaints otherwise.
    +1 for NOE - I have over a dozen of their moulds and they are all excellent.

New (to me) mould arrived this morning, two days earlier than promised. Many thanks. I went straight from casting 577 minie balls to 55gn pellets! I spilt lead everywhere!!!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

You will need to run the melt hotter than usual for casting centerfire bullets due to the considerably smaller molten mass in relation to mould block size. The main alloy I use is just backstop lead. You will face a bit underwhelmed after a couple of hours casting as opposed to casting .577s. The level of the pot will have barely gone down and you will have a pile of bullets that you can fit in your hand, even though you might actually have over a thousand bullets.

You will need to run the melt hotter than usual for casting centerfire bullets due to the considerably smaller molten mass in relation to mould block size. The main alloy I use is just backstop lead. You will face a bit underwhelmed after a couple of hours casting as opposed to casting .577s. The level of the pot will have barely gone down and you will have a pile of bullets that you can fit in your hand, even though you might actually have over a thousand bullets.
    I run the pot hot (around 370c) for .357 with what used to be known as a linotype mix, very hard and water quenched. I've got them hard enough to shatter on metal plate in the past! I used those in the revolver at 300yards at Bisley with no noticeable leading. I'm trying that mix with the 224 but not water quenched as these are primarily for subsonic loads.

I know what you mean about the pot not going down though. I made a couple of hundred in about an hour and good bullets right from the start with pre heated mould. I don't think the lead level dropped an inch. I'll probably tumble lube them and see how we go. The shape lends itself to hollow pointing a few for bunnies.

Agony is a .36 round ball with a Tanner mould which has no sprue cutter and single cavity!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi