Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSP Pistols

Question SSP Pistols

Having been through a few co2's and buying a P17 SSP I really like this design of the power plant. So much more consistent than co2!

The P17 was cheap and has already caused me trigger faults (which I've sorted). But it's got me really interested in buying a good quality single stroke pneumatic pistol.

I'm going to sell some of my co2 guns and get a nicer SSP.

I was looking at getting a FAS 6004 from Germany, but a search on here may have put me off

I'm not going to be shooting at clubs or comps, so don't want to be spending loads. It's just for my own amusement, indoors at home but I'm hooked. I know I could stick with the P17 but there are annoyances already.. like the fact it stopped working after 60 shots! And how damn sharp the dovetail rail is!

I guess I do t really want to be spending more than £300 from an EU seller (around the price of a 6004 with nice grips).

Are the reports of the 6004 warranted? Or are people comparing them to £1500 pistols? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

There's not a busting lot out there as far as I can see. Gamo compact, hw40, hw75, FAS, Alecto (or whatever it's called)

I like the idea of the decent right hand grip.

jameswrx,

I was looking at SSP pistols about six months ago. I had a Gamo Compact, but wanted a 'better' pistol.

In the end I bought a Baikal MP-46M, which has proved to be, for me, an absolutely super pistol

(It cost me ca. £280 from a well known UK gunshop.)

The grip needed some work to fit like a glove, but that was very easy to do. The MP-46M has shown itself to be very accurate and easy to shoot.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    There you go....http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/...a-8-f-3177+11/

Under budget and better than the FAS IMHO as an ex-FAS owner

Thank you guys.

I did overlook the Baikal purely on initial reaction to the cosmetics of the pistol, I'm trying to convince myself it's immaterial when it's in hand but I don't know if it's for me. I may change my mind though.

Just really liked the look of the FAS but it does seem to get rather lack lustre reviews. Mainly down to leaking seals but then again, I'm not adverse to replacing seals if that's the only issue.

I know what the main dislike was, the length of the pistol. I did look at some google images and they seem very long. I'm only shooting at 6m indoors.

Be interested in some up to date FAS 6004 reviews. Are they reliable apart from seals?

To be honest, the HW40 with a decent grip would probably do me. That's assuming they don't suffer the same trigger sear issues the P17 does! But I do like the idea of a better quality pistol that's not plastic. The HW75 just feels a right lump.

I have tried then sold the following:
    - HW75: Great trigger, well made, cocking the hammer every time was a nuisance.
    - Gamo Compact: Decent trigger when modified (easy fixes), decent velocity, good basic match grip with adjustable palm shelf
    - Webley Alecto: Trigger OK but too spongy, spare seals not listed...cost of replacement powerplant is £120 plus post

I have retained the following:
    - HW40: Good price, great trigger, very accurate, grip feel can be improved, fibre optic sights can be masked, auto safety can be converted to manual
    - FAS 6004: Great looks and nice feel, very accurate, easy to cock...but fairly low velocity (~370 fps IIRC)
    - IZH 46M: Great pistol, easy to cock, good velocity (~470 fps IIRC). Chunky grips would benefit from customising.

I have tried a FAS 604 Mk 1, better construction than the 6004...but it leaked and had other issues and had to go back.

If the 46M looks too big, there is the older 46 which has a shorter cylinder, makes it a bit lighter but produces a lower velocity (around 60 fps lower IIRC). I think the overall length is the same as the 46M, so if keeping that long barrel is an issue for you, it will be similar on both versions...although the 46 will be less front heavy.
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 15-11-2015 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Velocity values - approx only, depends on pellet.

Is the FPS of the FAS 6004 an issue?

My P17 actually hits with quite a thump at 6m flattening the .22 pellets into the pellet trap, seems too hard to me anyway. As long as the FAS is accurate and the FPS doesn't mean that it's shooting low at target distances (which I'm sure it doesn't) is 370fps going to be of any notice to me?

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Is the FPS of the FAS 6004 an issue?

My P17 actually hits with quite a thump at 6m flattening the .22 pellets into the pellet trap, seems too hard to me anyway. As long as the FAS is accurate and the FPS doesn't mean that it's shooting low at target distances (which I'm sure it doesn't) is 370fps going to be of any notice to me?
    The cylinder on the 6004 is somehow slightly smaller than most other SSPs, makes it easy to cock, the velocity it what it is. It's OK at 6m, and therefore fine for home range. I reckon the holes would be ragged at 10m. Higher velocity would give a cleaner hole in the target card, I find the velocity is less than the HW40.

I have had no problems with the trigger on the HW40, and no problem with seals on the 6004...in fact no problems at all on either of them.
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 15-11-2015 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Cylinder size

SSP Pistols

There is an FAS 604 for sale on Gun* at the moment, looks to be a late model and in good condition. (I have no connection with the seller)

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/fas-ap604-1...ir-Guns/792120

I had one a few years ago, at 10m it will make clean holes in good quality targets eg Kruger.
    Evo 10 Compact.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    There you go....http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/...a-8-f-3177+11/

Under budget and better than the FAS IMHO as an ex-FAS owner
    Wow, that's a lot of gun for the money

Some info on the 6004 velocity here
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ght=6004+tests

Quote Originally Posted by silvershooter View Post
    There is an FAS 604 for sale on Gun* at the moment, looks to be a late model and in good condition. (I have no connection with the seller)

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/fas-ap604-1...ir-Guns/792120

I had one a few years ago, at 10m it will make clean holes in good quality targets eg Kruger.
    Those black grips look a bit odd, shame to loose the grain of the walnut.

I read that the 604 Mk 2 was a bit longer than the Mk 1, not sure whether the velocity was any different. I'm guessing the design (and velocity) of the 6004 would (should) have been based on the Mk 2?

Quote Originally Posted by ProHunter View Post
    Wow, that's a lot of gun for the money
    Correct...it's nearly twice the size of many other SSPs But seriously, it also comes with a spare set of breach seals, piston seal and alternative front sight blades.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I know I could stick with the P17 but there are annoyances already.. like the fact it stopped working after 60 shots! And how damn sharp the dovetail rail is!
    SSP pistols need constant lubrication.. you didnt say what the issue was with yours, but you must use a light oil regularly to keep the orings lubricated. there is a tiny air relief hole on the piston.. a drop or two of pellgun, sweing machine oil or something similar [I use quantum hot sauce, simply because my dad brought me some back from the usa] down this hole and worked in by pumping the piston back and forth, will keep your gun smooth and full power. take note of how smooth it feels right after lubrication, and after a couple of hundred shots or a long period of storage, always relube to get this feeling again.

Ive got a webley nemesis which is agricultural to say the least, but I but a 6x40 rifle scope on it and was shooting it from the crook of my elbow at 10 yards and was very impressed with its accuracy... I got it for free and it has no rear sight and I didnt have a pistol scope, so had to make do to get shooting..

I have shot the baikal and it its a cracking pistol... I think accuracy all comes down to repeatability and comfort with the SSP pistols.
    As long as your pistol has a match grip and is properly lubed, you should do well with it.

sorry i cant give any help with choosing a new gun, but I hope you can get your p17 shooting again... nothing worse than having a gun sitting that you cant use,

ATB
    Donald