Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A New Air Pistol ?

For general use, the HW45 is hard to beat. Just needs zeroing straight from the box. I've used one for plinking, pistol HFT and even 10 Metre targets, albeit the latter informally.

Probably the best general purpose pistol out there. ...And there's no additional cost for consumables such as CO2 powerlets.

Only problem is you would probably then want to find a pair of Hogue grips and perhaps an original shoulder stock, then find you 'need' another HW45!

John

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    It's pretty amazing how no matter how much I research quality air pistols, eventually the HW 45 tends to "rise to the top" of the issue !
    Must be good reason for that I guess but personally, I've never shot one.
    Said it before but tend to have a bit of a problem with them looking like a Colt Auto.
    What's preferable the .177 or .22 Cal. and what ammo do they like ?
    Thanks.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    What's preferable the .177 or .22 Cal. and what ammo do they like ?
    Thanks.
    I have '45s in .177, .20 and .22. All like a diet of H&N FTT or Hobbies in the two common calibres.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I have '45s in .177, .20 and .22. All like a diet of H&N FTT or Hobbies in the two common calibres.

John
    Thanks for this, the .20 seems attractive !
    I asumme the Black/Silver Star is available in .20 Cal. ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Said it before but tend to have a bit of a problem with them looking like a Colt Auto.
    Don't worry John, they're nothing like the Colt, except for the grip panels. More like a Colt and a half.

I can walk around all day with a 1911 shoved in my waistband, but can't do the same with an HW. The front of it clangs into one of my Jacobs...

Thanks for this, the .20 seems attractive !
    I asumme the Black/Silver Star is available in .20 Cal. ?
    Hi John,

Not sure if it is available from stock. I obtained a spare .20 cal barrel from Chambers and replaced one of my .22 HW45s with it.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi John,

Not sure if it is available from stock. I obtained a spare .20 cal barrel from Chambers and replaced one of my .22 HW45s with it.

John
    Many thanks John !
    “An airgun or two”………

Mm mm.....
    Thought about the LP8 Jagdtiger in the past. Certainly is well built, solid and powerful !
    Would I be ably to hit anything with it though ?
    I have been told the trigger on the Diana LP8 is non adjustable, and is quite heavy for accurate shooting. I have the Diana P5 Magnum .177 that is very accurate but does not have provision for scope mount. That doesn't bother me as I love its fibre optic open sights.

If I were to buy a new air pistol tomorrow in any caliber for general use not specifically targets, what would the best quality, engineered, accurate pistol I could buy ?
    I would not be interested with fiddling with it as it would have to be as near as dammit, just right "out of the box" as I fancy treating myself !
    Guess it depends on your budget, and what your preference is (spring, pneumatic, CO2)? 'New air pistol tomorrow' might suggest off the shelf current production standard, not a collectable? 'Just right out of the box' might imply self contained (spring, SSP) as opposed to CO2 or PCP?

Quote Originally Posted by derekj View Post
    I have been told the trigger on the Diana LP8 is non adjustable, and is quite heavy for accurate shooting. I have the Diana P5 Magnum .177 that is very accurate but does not have provision for scope mount. That doesn't bother me as I love its fibre optic open sights.
    Lucky man. I must get a P5 Magnum sometime.

The review I linked to way up this thread says the LP8 trigger broke at 3lb 5oz (which isn't bad at all), with quite a bit of second-stage creep, and that a screw adjusts the first stage travel.

If I were to buy a new air pistol tomorrow in any caliber for general use not specifically targets, what would the best quality, engineered, accurate pistol I could buy ?
    I would not be interested with fiddling with it as it would have to be as near as dammit, just right "out of the box" as I fancy treating myself !
    Hi

I'm just wondering what is meant by a 'general purpose air pistol'.

If you're not looking to kill things with it - which is not recommended by too many people - or shoot match target seriously,
    then the field is wide open.

Personally, I have yet to find anything better than my Walther CP88 for build, balance, size, reliability, ease of use, accuracy and by no means least fun.
    Others will prefer the somewhat more iconic Colt 1911 or Beretta 92 FS but in my experience the Walther is much nicer to shoot than either.
    It will easily take tin cans at 20 yards plus and it's not too shabby at ten metre target either should you feel inclined.
    A better man than me put all eight shots from the magazine in the black of an official ten metre match target with mine first time he had touched one.

Power is around 400 fps at the muzzle which should be quite enough for most people

Unless, you want to save on gym fees and need a workout when you shoot (which of course sooner or later will affect your aim at the very least) and would prefer to avoid a hernia the co2 route is a no-brainer for shooting pleasure.

Just a final word on BBs. I avoided them for decades dismissing them as toys but how wrong I was!
    Having bought the Colt Peacemaker I can assure you that both power and accuracy can be close enough to most pellet firers at normal plinking ranges.
    My eyes have been opened and the next pistol I buy will almost certainly be a BB.

Name of the game is fun!

In the meantime go shoot a CP88 before being seduced by bigger and meatier options that bring with them the downside of hard work

Just my two-penneth.

Good Luck!

Hombre
    I'm not stuck in the past, I just prefer it.

Many thanks for the above appraisal Hombre !
    I don't wish to shoot match targets or "kill"'with a pistol and ideally as my other thread states, I'm not too keen on pistols which imitate side arms although if needs be I'll make an exception and to be honest, the HW 45's coming up to the top of the pile.
    Apart from Seniors/Premiers etc. the Fwb/LP53 look is what I prefer and if I could get a really nice example then I guess that would suffice !
    “An airgun or two”………

Many thanks for the above appraisal Hombre !
    I don't wish to shoot match targets or "kill"'with a pistol and ideally as my other thread states, I'm not too keen on pistols which imitate side arms although if needs be I'll make an exception and to be honest, the HW 45's coming up to the top of the pile.
    Apart from Seniors/Premiers etc. the Fwb/LP53 look is what I prefer and if I could get a really nice example then I guess that would suffice !
    Obviously a man of taste, discernment and strength!

My apologies, I missed the bit about your dislike of side arms look-alikes
    I wish you well with whatever you finally decide upon

ATB
    Home
    I'm not stuck in the past, I just prefer it.

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    If I were you and money was no object I'd hunt down an FWB 60 or 80. Diana LP8 is also worth looking out for. I would also stay away from CO2 pistols. They look good but are mostly only good for plinking soup cans at 15 feet. I am not very impressed with my CP 88 even though I have put a 6" Competition barrel on it. Some people report good things about them but not for me. You can also have a look at the Zoraki/ Webley, not the same build quality as a HW 75 but very accurate, a lot more powerful and a lot cheaper. I am quite pleased with my HW 40 but due to its low power it is a strictly 10 meters target pistol. Stay away from Steyr lP pistols, you will end up spending the best part of £1500.00 on these beauties. Their accuracy is mind blowing.

A.G
    Zoraki ?
    I thought it was the big horsey guys in Game of Thrones !
    Looked it up and it's impressive !
    I did think it looked a little like Han Solo's hand Blaster though and wondered which Section Plod would subscribe it to when I applied to put it on my ticket !
    “An airgun or two”………

Edtwozeronine is offline I say dear boy, would you mind awfully doing as you're told?
    Look what my HW75 did on one of the windiest days in South Wales history.

http://i.imgur.com/uLslgWu.jpg
    ***Proud Member of Castleton Air Rifle Club***