Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A New Air Pistol ?

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by Edtwozeronine View Post
    Look what my HW75 did on one of the windiest days in South Wales history.

http://i.imgur.com/uLslgWu.jpg
    Impressive !
    What was the range on that ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Edtwozeronine is offline I say dear boy, would you mind awfully doing as you're told?
    10M across my back garden approx.
    ***Proud Member of Castleton Air Rifle Club***

The HW 75 has moved on to my Radar now !
    Are they noisy, will the neighbours be upset ?
    “An airgun or two”………

I'm also taken with a BSA Magnum pistol belonging to an Illustrious member on here owns !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    The noise report is similar to other SSPs....but the loading sequence is not. Fantastic trigger, but it takes six steps to fire a pellet....that's why I sold one!

- Press release catch for over lever
    - Open the over lever
    - Load the pellet
    - Close the over lever
    - PULL THE HAMMER BACK
    - Squeeze the trigger

Most SSPs require no more than five steps. The HW40 also requires six steps....unless you disable the annoying auto safety

I find the most pleasing pistols to use are those that require the least number of steps to shoot it.

IZH-46:

1. Swing cocking lever all the way out (automatically opens loading port and cocks trigger), and back (charges the cylinder) in one smooth movement.

2. Load pellet.

3. Pull trigger.

I make that three...

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    IZH-46:

1. Swing cocking lever all the way out (automatically opens loading port and cocks trigger), and back (charges the cylinder) in one smooth movement.

2. Load pellet.

3. Pull trigger.

I make that three...
    You forgot "aim".

Not for the first time.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    No, they are relatively quiet. I have both the HW45 and 75 and hugely prefer the 75. I think it is a question of horses for courses though, all the HW45 fans can't be wrong. I think maybe the lookee likee style (which admittedly the 75 suffers from to a degree) and some of the more breathless advertising about "bitta powahh" (not from the gents in this good forum) put me off a bit.

The 75 is actually a really good SSP dressed up in a slightly silly style, though it looks better in the metal.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    You forgot "aim".

Not for the first time.
    And I forgot to close the loading port. So I just fired a blast of air at the ceiling.

Not for the first time.

If you do not have any other SSPs, the 75 would be great to own. But if you own others, you will from time to time think why has the trigger gone heavy on the 75.....then realise you forgot to cock the hammer

I can see where this is going..I'm going to have to spend time visiting Gunshops and tracking down all these pistols ! Sometimes its only when you have sight of things and hold them in your mitts that you realise which is the one best suited to you !
    Firings another matter of course !
    “An airgun or two”………

You might want to consider the new SMK PP700W PCP pistol, powerful and no cocking. I had a look at one on Saturday and I was quite impressed with the build quality. The trigger is a little creepy but I am sure it would get better with use. Simple to use pull back the hammer, rotate the breach block, load close breach block and shoot. I don't know how accurate they are as I haven't shot one yet. I might have bought it but I bought one of the new sig 226 pistols instead.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Quote Originally Posted by Bjacobs571 View Post
    You might want to consider the new SMK PP700W PCP pistol, powerful and no cocking. I had a look at one on Saturday and I was quite impressed with the build quality. The trigger is a little creepy but I am sure it would get better with use. Simple to use pull back the hammer, rotate the breach block, load close breach block and shoot. I don't know how accurate they are as I haven't shot one yet. I might have bought it but I bought one of the new sig 226 pistols instead.
    What price range are we looking at here ?
    “An airgun or two”………

I keep coming back to this thread to see if you've made your mind up!

Very good advice above. Find a well stocked gunshop (can be a rarity these days) and have a play. The way a pistol fits and feels in your hand is more critical than fit on a rifle stock. If you find something that comes up naturally on aim with the sights aligned and the first pad of your finger comfortably on the trigger, you have got it made.

(I clearly have weird freak hands, because I am apparently the only person in the world who finds that happens for me with a Webley Nemesis, but not with a match-gripped FWB65.)

A word on the HW75. Despite the palm-shelf grip (and HW's advertising blurb), it isn't a proper match pistol. It is lovely build quality, but performs about the same as a good HW40 and neither the sights nor the trigger are real 10M match quality.

If you want a 3 ft/lb match pistol in that rough price range, the options I know of are:

- second-hand FAS604 or Airmatch CU600. First is a bit weedy (2.5ish ft/lbs), but I like mine. Second I've never shot but is rare.
    - new Chiappa FAS6004. As above. Build quality issues and nearer 400 than 300 pounds.
    - IZH46/46M. Best value match pistol on the market, with proper sights and trigger, but looks like one of those guns made from bits of plumbing by the French Resistance in 1942.

Gonna have to get round the Gunshops ! Far too many choices here to make a decision on "off paper" !
    “An airgun or two”………