Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage "ORIGINAL Spud Gun

Vintage "ORIGINAL Spud Gun

Dear all,

This is my first posting on the forum, so thank you for letting me become a member.

I have joined as I have an old working spud gun which I am selling. It’s one I acquired a while back, had some fun with but now looking to move on. I did have it on , with one bid on it in less than 24 hours! That was until the powers that be at deleted the add as they considered this spud gun an offence weapon under their Policy's...

I am not 100% sure of when it was made, buts it was manufactured in of West Germany, so it could of been made anytime between the late forties or until the Germany was unified? But looking at the patina of the metalwork I am sure it was manufactured between the late 50’s to mid 60’s.

I know if I have suggested the wrong dates, then there will hopefully be someone who will reads this posting that will put me right.

The Spud gun has “ORIGINAL” stamped on what would the breach of an air gun. To ‘Prime it with air ’ you break the barrel in a similar way to an air rifle.

It’s approximately 785mm in length, structurally sound and even has the original sights, which line up pretty well.

If anybody has come across this type of spud gun before or knows the best place to sell it or would like to buy it for themselves, then please reply to this posting.

Many thanks,

Gentlemen, may I just draw your attention to one of the stickies at the top of this very page :-

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Hi. Am posting this sticky to clarify things. When a valuation thread is posted, it must be treated as that, and nothing more. Once an owner of an item has a sound valuation figure, if they then wish to sell, they must start a fresh sales thread, in either the main sales section, or if a collectable, in this collectors section, or with my blessing (if it is a collectable), in both . Turning a valuation thread into a sales thread will result in a one week holiday for the member in question.

Similarly, as of midnight tonight, anyone posting on a valuation thread, or sending a p-m, that they would like to buy or swap the item in question, irrespective of their motivation, is also unfortunately going to get themselves a two week holiday from the BBS. Asking an owner to let you know when they offer their item for sale, too, will imo constitute offering to buy off the back of a valuation thread, so please don't do it . Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Gareth W-B (o.b.o. The Airgun BBS Admin Team).

I seem to have inherited a ban button, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Carry on
    Last edited by T 20; 19-11-2015 at 06:29 PM.

Best to get some pictures so we have a better idea of what we are looking at.

Charles

P.S. Welcome to the forum

Original spud gun

There is one,so described,at Amazon.com......$16 plus free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by trevor1 View Post
    There is one,so described,at Amazon.com......$16 plus free shipping.
    I don't know whether this is relevant but there was a display stand full of them in a cookery shop in Dorchester (Dorset) last week ...

Hi and welcome, l think you have an airgun not a spud gun,if you could put some photos up we would be able to tell you for sure.

[QUOTE=trevor1;6844872]There is one,so described,at Amazon.com......$16 plus free shipping.[/QUOTE

Hi trevor1,

I had a look on Amazon, but could find it. As you have qouted the price in $ this would be in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    Hi and welcome, l think you have an airgun not a spud gun,if you could put some photos up we would be able to tell you for sure.
    Hi Micky,

No this is definitely a Spud gun. I would post photos, but I don't currently have permissions from the moderator(s).

Send me a message via the private option and I will happily send you images of the gun with the breach open.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolId View Post
    I don't know whether this is relevant but there was a display stand full of them in a cookery shop in Dorchester (Dorset) last week ...
    Hi trevor1,

I should of asked you on my earlier reply if you have any images of the display stand you saw them in?

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Gentlemen, may I just draw your attention to one of the stickies at the top of this very page :-

I seem to have inherited a ban button, and I'm not afraid to use it.

Carry on
    Apologies for not abiding by the rules….. I will try and behave in the future.

i have seen a pic and it's an original tin plate air rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by larrylamppost View Post
    i have seen a pic and it's an original tin plate air rifle.
    Hi Larrylamppost,

Thanks for the reply.

I am not doubting your correct, but in all my years I have never seen an air rifle like this and have seen quite a few - albeit traditional ones, break barrels and under lever type.

Would you be able to advice what calibre this might be and how you would load a pellet into, it as it doesn't have any way of doing this when you break open the breech?

Is your gun something like this?... http://www.network54.com/Forum/66282...ted+%281923%29

if so, think the barrel is removed to load it.
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    Is your gun something like this?... http://www.network54.com/Forum/66282...ted+%281923%29

if so, think the barrel is removed to load it.
    Hi DCL Dave,

Thank you for the reply and yes it is! but it doesnt say Diana but "Original" on the breech. It was made in West Germany though.

By joining this forum I have gained some new knowledge and anyway who says old dogs can't learn new tricks....

Hopefully soon, I may be given permission by the moderators to upload some images, get a valuation on it. Once I have that, then maybe somebody might be interested in it taking of my hands.

Thanks again for the information, most appreciated.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    If you upload the photos to a hosting service such Flickr or similar you can just post a link straight away to your pictures...
    However if the barrels had soggy spuds shoved up there, then it might be a tad rusty in the bore