Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley Mk3 valuation request by abewilson

Webley Mk3 valuation request by abewilson

Here is a valuation request on behalf of collectables regular, abewilson. They are not great pics, and I can't hazard a guess based on them myself. Maybe someone else will be braver than me?

Abe says about this gun:

MK3 Webley .22 cal
    Serial number 33886
    No box
    No scope rails
    Tiger striped walnut stock... just a few slight dents
    Blueing faded
    Clear markings
    Complete

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3
    Pic 4
    Pic 5
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hi Danny /Abe,

I like these late 3rd Series or unofficial 4th Series of Mark 3s as they still retain touches that were later 'cheapened' by the factory. These include a proper contoured tap, that nicely profiled trigger, early stock medallion and lack of scope rail, which was never of much use anyway.

Based on pics, which suggest some surface wear to stock and action, a very rough suggestion from me would be £125 to sell. Clearly a shop would ask more but for a private sale on a forum like this, around £125 is probably realistic in my view.

Hope that helps.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Danny /Abe,

I like these late 3rd Series or unofficial 4th Series of Mark 3s as they still retain touches that were later 'cheapened' by the factory. These include a proper contoured tap, that nicely profiled trigger, early stock medallion and lack of scope rail, which was never of much use anyway.

Based on pics, which suggest some surface wear to stock and action, a very rough suggestion from me would be £125 to sell. Clearly a shop would ask more but for a private sale on a forum like this, around £125 is probably realistic in my view.

Hope that helps.

John
    Excellent. Many thanks, John.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

John's value seems spot on to me

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    John's value seems spot on to me

It would be if the tiger had left his stripes behind

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Agreed.

Nice one Peter.....by the way, belated thanks for the MK3 and the Meteor which Big Eddie brought with him on his last trip north. I'm looking forward to doing them up.
    I also agree with the valuation round about the £125 mark..sounds about right to me.
    Cheers, Graeme

Stripes don't always come out well on photos, as we all know.

For example this Feinwerkbau stock looks quite plain from one angle, whereas it's truly beautiful from another.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

mark 3

just renovated a Webley mrk 3 for a shop the shop payed £150 now selling for £300 in the shop?

Confuious says

Tiger always leave stripes, but Leopard never changes spots

Tiger always leave stripes, but Leopard never changes spots
    That reminds me of an old Dennis Hiller mailing, and I quote from memory: "Confucius say Man going through airport door sideways going to Bangkok"

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    That reminds me of an old Dennis Hiller mailing, and I quote from memory: "Confucius say Man going through airport door sideways going to Bangkok"

John
    Another classic Dennis Hiller-ism in one of his mailings is "Confucius say passionate kiss like spider web, often lead to undoing of fly."
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Another classic Dennis Hiller-ism in one of his mailings is "Confucius say passionate kiss like spider web, often lead to undoing of fly."
    Was the bloke a sex maniac ?

Quote Originally Posted by foggy3380 View Post
    Was the bloke a sex maniac ?
    Not entirely. He also acknowledged how un PC it was to advertise the Black Boy slugs he had for sale on another (much missed) mailing. I think Dennis said it was safer to sell drugs in the St Pauls area of Bristol than these old classic airgun projectiles!

John

mk 3 webley valuation

To all interested Air Gun Collectors and active Air gunners

When I purchased my Webley Mk.III from Hugh Earl of Pax Air Gun he went to great lengths to explain the qualities of the air rifle in question The 'Tiger Tail' that runs the whole length of the woodwork which has been to a degree obscured by the heavy coat of varnish that has darkened over at least 35 years

After listening to Hugh's exaltation's being Flush with cash at the height of my earning potential un known to him I would have bought it for double the price

It was pointed out of a even more delightful detail which is described and graded by the copied and pasted excerpt from the Bings search engine e.g.....please Note the last Two Lines as follows..

A burl (British bur or burr) is a tree growth in which the grain has grown in a deformed manner. It is commonly found in the form of a rounded outgrowth on a tree trunk or branch that is filled with small knots from dormant buds.

A burl results from a tree undergoing some form of stress. It may be environmental or introduced by humans. Most burls grow beneath the ground, attached to the roots as a type of malignancy that is generally not discovered until the tree dies or falls over. Such burls sometimes appear as groups of bulbous protrusions connected by a system of rope-like roots. Almost all burl wood is covered by bark, even if it is underground. Insect infestation and certain types of mould infestation are the most common causes of this condition.

Burls yield a very peculiar and highly figured wood, one prized for its beauty by many; its rarity also adds to its expense. It is sought after by people such as furniture makers, artists, and wood sculptors.
    End of Quote

Please form a orderly queue interested parties of course F to F.... or cheques ....will have priority The sale price will be coupled with My Webley Hawk Mk II Both rifles would be enriched in my opinion by renovation. Both are complete.
    Prices to be announced

ATB
    abewilson.
    ''The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens''
    Baha'u'llah 1817-1892.