Quote Originally Posted by abewilson View Post
To all interested Air Gun Collectors and active Air gunners

When I purchased my Webley Mk.III from Hugh Earl of Pax Air Gun he went to great lengths to explain the qualities of the air rifle in question The 'Tiger Tail' that runs the whole length of the woodwork which has been to a degree obscured by the heavy coat of varnish that has darkened over at least 35 years

After listening to Hugh's exaltation's being Flush with cash at the height of my earning potential un known to him I would have bought it for double the price

It was pointed out of a even more delightful detail which is described and graded by the copied and pasted excerpt from the Bings search engine e.g.....please Note the last Two Lines as follows..

A burl (British bur or burr) is a tree growth in which the grain has grown in a deformed manner. It is commonly found in the form of a rounded outgrowth on a tree trunk or branch that is filled with small knots from dormant buds.

A burl results from a tree undergoing some form of stress. It may be environmental or introduced by humans. Most burls grow beneath the ground, attached to the roots as a type of malignancy that is generally not discovered until the tree dies or falls over. Such burls sometimes appear as groups of bulbous protrusions connected by a system of rope-like roots. Almost all burl wood is covered by bark, even if it is underground. Insect infestation and certain types of mould infestation are the most common causes of this condition.

Burls yield a very peculiar and highly figured wood, one prized for its beauty by many; its rarity also adds to its expense. It is sought after by people such as furniture makers, artists, and wood sculptors.
End of Quote

Please form a orderly queue interested parties of course F to F.... or cheques ....will have priority The sale price will be coupled with My Webley Hawk Mk II Both rifles would be enriched in my opinion by renovation. Both are complete.
Prices to be announced

ATB
All good stuff !