Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A word of caution for every air gunner

A word of caution for every air gunner

I maybe preaching to the converted but I was just browsing the net ( looking for Chronometer related material ) and came across a post in the Hunting Life forum posted in 2009. The storey was about an angler that had his gun seized in a police raid after a report of a " domestic disturbance ". The gun was found to be over the limit and he was jailed for 9 months. He had proof that he had bought the rifle in car boot sale and the gun was only to shoot rats with as he did his angling mostly at night and the place was rat infested. The gun was found in his angling gear. Another poster stated that he was prosecuted in 2007 for having his gun over the limit @ 12.4 . He had proof that the gun was set @ 11.5 but still Police claimed that the gun did 12.4 with their test pellet and a Skan Chronometer. I myself have 5 guns two of which are running at 11.6, the other three are about 11.2, but with pellets that I think produce most energy. Having read this I am going to see if I could detune the guns to 11.2. One never knows. I travel to the outdoor range on Sundays and god forbid if I had an accident on the crazy M62 then I wouldn't want the a double whammy and be shafted twice.
    On a different note the law states that it is illegal to be in possession of an air gun that is capable of going beyond 12 ft.lbs without an FAC. The way I look at it all air rifles are capable of going over 12 ft.lbs so in effect this is already loaded against us. PCPs and CO2 guns are notorious for this on a hot sunny day, so what is the answer really?

Regards,

A.G

It's no different to getting done for owning a car that can do 120mph when the max is 70. It's a load of bollocks. Sick of these ancient laws. When the power law was introduced 99% of guns struggled making 10fpe. Sure folk will say how lucky we are compared to say Germany.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    I would like to read the facts in their entirety surrounding this case, I would guarantee that there is more to this story.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    I would like to read the facts in their entirety surrounding this case, I would guarantee that there is more to this story.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    Here is a link to the original reporting of the case. http://www.tamworthherald.co.uk/Tamw...ail/story.html

Regards,

A.G

[QUOTE=peddy;6845687]It's no different to getting done for owning a car that can do 120mph when the max is 70. It's a load of bollocks. Sick of these ancient laws. When the power law was introduced 99% of guns struggled making 10fpe. Sure folk will say how lucky we are compared to say Germany.[/QUOT

My sentiments exactly. I have had a little sports car for the last 15 years, it can do 150+ mph, it can reach the motorway speed limit in the 2nd gear but I doubt very much if I have ever gone half as fast as its potential max speed. Does this mean that I am potentially capable of doing 150 mph and therefore I have to loose my driving licence and livelihood? Why don't they just specify a standard pellet and set all measurements with this pellet so every one knows where they stand with the law? Why so much ambiguity and unfairness with these laws?

A.G

My smk qb78d puts out around 6.5ft lbs so I should be OK lol unless the rifle blows up then manages to fire over 12ft lbs..

I agree the power limit law needs sorting out, but it will not, so we will just have to keep an eye on our rifles power limits..
    ATB Marc
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    Here is a link to the original reporting of the case. http://www.tamworthherald.co.uk/Tamw...ail/story.html

Regards,

A.G
    No where in the article does it mention what the rifle was chronographed at, in fact I cannot find this information anywhere. Also did he have permission to shoot where he did, etc. There are so many unknowns to say whether or not the sentence was justified. Without facts distorted conclusions result.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    It's no different to getting done for owning a car that can do 120mph when the max is 70. It's a load of bollocks. Sick of these ancient laws. When the power law was introduced 99% of guns struggled making 10fpe. Sure folk will say how lucky we are compared to say Germany.

Exactly,stupib bloody law especially when one compares sub 12ft lb air guns to catapults or bows etc, imagine if you could have any car you wanted,but they were all fitted with a Morris Minor engine!!

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    No where in the article does it mention what the rifle was chronographed at, in fact I cannot find this information anywhere. Also did he have permission to shoot where he did, etc. There are so many unknowns to say whether or not the sentence was justified. Without facts distorted conclusions result.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    Absolutely. I have no doubt that there is far more to this. Many sentences can seem draconian when the full facts aren't known.

When the full facts are known, most senetences seem pretty soft to me!

My mate got a 2 year sentence for walking with his sub 12fp air rifle from his car to his home ( a few yards ) ... and he never took it out of the bag.

Do you think there may be a tad more to that story?

Pointless thread. I don't care, the police don't care and most airgunners don't care ...

... because there's nowt to care about.

Usual babble ... check your gun ... do nowt daft ... dah de dah de dah.
    Last edited by bozzer; 21-11-2015 at 08:51 AM.

I always use the car analogy myself but it's not quite the same is it. When you pull the trigger of a gun it fires at its full power every time, let's say 13lbft. Every time you drive your car, you don't do 150mph.

I think the car analogy would work if you had a sharp Innova capable of holding illegal power with 20 pumps but only ever use 6 pumps.

Although I do agree it's crazy to jail someone that's bought a gun and it's over power unknown to them.

P
    Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    My mate got a 2 year sentence for walking with his sub 12fp air rifle from his car to his home ( a few yards ) ... and he never took it out of the bag.

Do you think there may be a tad more to that story?

Pointless thread. I don't care, the police don't care and most airgunners don't care ...

... because there's nowt to care about.

Usually babble ... check your gun ... do nowt daft ... dah de dah de dah.

^^ Top Answer^^

It seems that whenever I read this sort of thread, I get the feeling that it's all about someone lamenting the 12 ft lb limit that is imposed without an FAC.

Most people who I have encountered who feel this way, have actually done frig all to actually get off their arse and get an FAC to satisfy themselves with higher power guns.

If you want to shoot Rodents and Birds on a casual sporting basis, the sub 12 is perfectly workable.

If you have much longer ranges in mind or bigger targets in mind, you could use a powder burner. If you qualify of course.

As far as anyone getting slammed up for a gun being 12.4 etc. I think that may be a cherry on the cake of other convictions or crimes from that individual.

If a serial con is found with a gun which is over, then he or she is going to be done for that as well.
    Dance like no one is watching.
    Sing like no one can hear.
    Scratch yourself like you think the zoom meeting has ended.

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post

Regards,

A.G
    Same chap?

http://m.burtonmail.co.uk/Convicted-...ail/story.html

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    Quote Originally Posted by TRS1 View Post
    More than a coincidence, by chance?...

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.