Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A word of caution for every air gunner

i just applied for a slot on my FAC for this very reason.

removes all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Snooper601 View Post
    More than a coincidence, by chance?...

Cheers

John
    Yes, something Fishy here methinks!
    The views and opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of the author and not necessarily accurate, The author is known on occasion to lie and/or deliberately mislead in the interest of generating debate (and Google searches).

Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post
    i just applied for a slot on my FAC for this very reason.

removes all doubt.
    Only for that particular air rife registered on fac. Not any others you may own!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    My mate got a 2 year sentence for walking with his sub 12fp air rifle from his car to his home ( a few yards ) ... and he never took it out of the bag.

Do you think there may be a tad more to that story?

Is your mate the "bloke down the pub" by any chance?
    "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son" Dean Wormer.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    P

^^ Top Answer^^
    Except for the "my mate" rubbish of course.
    "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son" Dean Wormer.

Quote Originally Posted by SCW22 View Post
    Only for that particular air rife registered on fac. Not any others you may own!

Steve
    will only have one.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Exactly,stupib bloody law especially when one compares sub 12ft lb air guns to catapults or bows etc, imagine if you could have any car you wanted,but they were all fitted with a Morris Minor engine!!
    I am a mechanical engineer by education but not by trade. I once calculated the release energy of a golf ball hit by an average man and medium heavy iron. It came to something like 240 Joules. It was a long time a go when I was in Uni, 1979 to be exact and we did it as part of a project to build a golf playing robot. If this thing hit somebody in the head within 50 Yards the guy would be wasted for sure. Now I think that we need FAC for gold balls and irons, don't you? I didn't raise the point to bring on a debate to challenge the law, The law is the law and it has to obeyed. I just wanted to point out that they do take it seriously and will do their best to convict . The point that I am not happy about and I hope the good people understand is the ambiguity of the law and the way it is loaded for conviction. I have no use for more than 12 ft.lbs for target shooting but I want to know a standard procedure to set the gun and this means a datum to work from. For this to happen we need a standard pellet, there is no other way. My HW 98 is doing 11.6 with JSB RS, 11.3 with JSB Exact and 10.6 with Barracuda match all legal, but there maybe a pellet on the market that may push the gun to 12.2 and be section 1. How the hell am I supposed to know about this? Any law must be set around some logical parameters for it to work and be fair. The guy who got 9 months was done for possessing a unauthorised firearm offence , nowhere in the article mentions that he was done for illegal hunting or angling. Maybe he had a stupid arguments with his partner and things got out of hand and they threw the book at him it doesn't really alter the fact of the matter in discussion. I now have to go and find a way of getting the guns down to 11.2 , one of them doesn't even have a preload washer so the spring has to altered I guess.

Regards,

A.G
    Last edited by lensman57; 21-11-2015 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    I always use the car analogy myself but it's not quite the same is it. When you pull the trigger of a gun it fires at its full power every time, let's say 13lbft. Every time you drive your car, you don't do 150mph.

I think the car analogy would work if you had a sharp Innova capable of holding illegal power with 20 pumps but only ever use 6 pumps.

Although I do agree it's crazy to jail someone that's bought a gun and it's over power unknown to them.
    No, it fires at the power it produces WITH THE PARTICULAR PELLET THAT YOU HAVE LOADED, & some can be 2ftlb+ more than others.
    The test should be with the pellets normally used, not something provided by the test centre.

Quote Originally Posted by Kes View Post
    Except for the "my mate" rubbish of course.
    I especially like the "my mate" bit, after reading about Mr Fisher for the past six years on various forums it made a refreshing change.

Carry on

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    I would like to read the facts in their entirety surrounding this case, I would guarantee that there is more to this story.

Kindest regards

Barrel

Well yes...as the OP said.....police attended due to a domestic.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Two200's View Post
    It seems that whenever I read this sort of thread, I get the feeling that it's all about someone lamenting the 12 ft lb limit that is imposed without an FAC.

Most people who I have encountered who feel this way, have actually done frig all to actually get off their arse and get an FAC to satisfy themselves with higher power guns.

If you want to shoot Rodents and Birds on a casual sporting basis, the sub 12 is perfectly workable.

If you have much longer ranges in mind or bigger targets in mind, you could use a powder burner. If you qualify of course.

As far as anyone getting slammed up for a gun being 12.4 etc. I think that may be a cherry on the cake of other convictions or crimes from that individual.

If a serial con is found with a gun which is over, then he or she is going to be done for that as well.
    I am an FAC holder but correct me if I am wrong but if my sub 12 is found to be capable of producing more then the legal limit I could be prosecuted and loose my FAC and guns too boot.

I cant make my sub 12 FAC because if I want to shoot at an HFT its classed as a firearm even if its actual output is below the 12 FPE limit and if I had a closed cert.....well there you go

The 12FPE rule is a bit stupid and does not allow for the variation in output that a police appointed lab can use to test FPE.
    So they could use ultra heavies or ultra light that is nowhere near what the rifle may have been set up for.

Even if it has an anti tamper device.....in reality....this offers no defence at law because the law is ABSOLUTE.

I know that people say you wont get prosecuted but nobody can tell.me at what point the CPS will decide a hot gun will result in no prosecution and when it will......is it 15FPE OR 14 OR 12.7......

I also appreciate that a routine stop could result in an escalation if the officer is obnoxious or belidgerant as I came across once at an RSPCA despatch incident.

There does need to be a review and the absolute element amended to allow some percentage of error that results in a compulsory notice to have the rifle made right and certificated to that effect.

The use of a base grain weight for the cal8bres and the technology used such as PCP or springer.
    Will never happen
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

is it right that sone coppers in rural areas are been given cronos to test rifles on the spot

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Well yes...as the OP said.....police attended due to a domestic.
    I read what the OP wrote mate, when I said there is more to this story I was suggesting things of a detrimental nature that had not been reported.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Quote Originally Posted by boko View Post
    is it right that sone coppers in rural areas are been given cronos to test rifles on the spot
    That's right, they've got Combros with fold-out screens, Bluetooth, a larger hole and all. Lucky beggars

I can remember we used to walk down the road with our rifles going to the fields rabbiting no one said a word round our way would not do it now