Thread: 13mm Dioptre to fit older HW rifles.

13mm Dioptre to fit HW rifles. Got One Thanks

I have recently acquired an old HW35 and following a spot of "grease blob tuning" with IJ and adjusting the trigger to remove any creep it is now a very nice shooting rifle although it is a little down on power - making it ideal for target shooting!

A friend is threatening to enter his old Original Model 35 in the MPL rifle competition and this has inspired me to enter a similar "oldie" to have some fun with and see what scores I can squeeze out of it.

The rifle is in average condition for its old age ( 1973) and there are no plans to restore the lost blue but I would like to enter it in the MPL 6 yard postal competition and need to find a suitable rear dioptre sight to fit it.

These old HW rifles had wider scope rails cut into them that are 13mm wide so I would like to find an old size WH rear sight to fit it.

If anyone has a 13mm fitting WH dioptre sight they would like to sell please contact me so I can get this old rifle into the MPL competition as I enjoy shooting Classic airguns and like to find "alternative" types that are not being used.
    Last edited by zooma; 23-11-2015 at 06:34 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I have recently acquired an old HW35 and following a spot of "grease blob tuning" with IJ and adjusting the trigger to remove any creep it is now a very nice shooting rifle although it is a little down on power - making it ideal for target shooting!

A friend is threatening to enter his old Original Model 35 in the MPL rifle competition and this has inspired me to enter a similar "oldie" to have some fun with and see what scores I can squeeze out of it.

The rifle is in average condition for its old age ( 1973) and there are no plans to restore the lost blue but I would like to enter it in the MPL 6 yard postal competition and need to find a suitable rear dioptre sight to fit it.

These old HW rifles had wider scope rails cut into them that are 13mm wide so I would like to find an old size WH rear sight to fit it.

If anyone has a 13mm fitting WH dioptre sight they would like to sell please contact me so I can get this old rifle into the MPL competition as I enjoy shooting Classic airguns and like to find "alternative" types that are not being used to enter in the competition.
    The alternative sight would be a Williams/Beeman peep - like the one on your HW30.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    The alternative sight would be a Williams/Beeman peep - like the one on your HW30.
    The HW30 has an 11.5mm (?) spacing between the scope rails but it does look like the peep sight fixings might expand up to 13mm so it is worth a try.

One with the nice big adjusting knobs (like yours) would be better than the version that I have with small screw head adjusters so I will keep an eye open to see if one crops up anywhere and also check to see if it will rise high enough for use at 6 yards.

Having said that - I would prefer an WH diopter if possible as it would look "right" on the rifle and I refer the larger "full-sized" eyepiece too.
    Last edited by zooma; 24-11-2015 at 12:59 PM.

Thanks to Robin I have now found a 13mm WH aperture sight.

where did you get it from bob, i am currently reconditioning a 35 and wouldn't mind doing the same
    Beretta AL391 Teknys Stonecoat 28", CZ 452 Style .22lr, Grand Power K22, Rem 700 .308 in GRS Stock, Marlin .357, Tikka T3 Varmint .223, Miroku MK38

Quote Originally Posted by nrees16 View Post
    where did you get it from bob, i am currently reconditioning a 35 and wouldn't mind doing the same
    I was lucky that a fellow BBS member just happened to have one that he did not need and was able to pass it on to me.

Only the older HW rifles have the larger 13mm width of scope grooves, the later models have the current measurement of 11.5mm so it is worth double checking the width of yours as the newer ones are possibly easier to find?

I have a spare 11.5mm HW dioptre but it has the side plate missing so it will still work OK but does not have the pointer to give a reference when height adjusting. I am advertising in the "wanted" section for a broken or damaged one as it may have the part I need to get this one completed as I have a use for that one as well

All of the parts on both widths are the same - apart from the base casting that determines the width of scope rails that it will fit.

Hopefully somebody will take a look at this thread who has one to spare and contact you.
    Last edited by zooma; 24-11-2015 at 02:08 PM.

I was lucky that a fellow BBS member just happened to have one that he did not need and was able to pass it on to me.

Only the older HW rifles have the larger 13mm width of scope grooves, the later models have the current measurement of 11.7mm so it is worth double checking the width of yours as the newer ones are possibly easier to find?

I have a spare 11.7mm HW dioptre but it has the side plate missing so it will still work OK but does not have the pointer to give a reference when height adjusting. I am advertising in the "wanted" section for a broken or damaged one as it may have the part I need to get this one completed.
    Are you sure its a 11.7mm one? It seemed very close when we tried it the other day. Have you tried it on a later HW35/30? I would hate for someone to question its suitability.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Diaopter

Only the older HW rifles have the larger 13mm width of scope grooves, the later models have the current measurement of 11.7mm so it is worth double checking the width of yours as the newer ones are possibly easier to find?

I have a spare 11.7mm HW dioptre but it has the side plate missing so it will still work OK but does not have the pointer to give a reference when height adjusting. I am advertising in the "wanted" section for a broken or damaged one as it may have the part I need to get this one completed.

All of the parts on both widths are the same - apart from the base casting that determines the width of scope rails that it will fit.

Hopefully somebody will take a look at this thread who has one to spare and contact you.
    Hi Bob .
    The 3 for 2 offer ,may just be a better deal than you think, as far as I can determine the Third one is likely to fit your HW. John F.

Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    Hi Bob .
    The 3 for 2 offer ,may just be a better deal than you think, as far as I can determine the Third one is likely to fit your HW. John F.
    Perfect!

Thanks John.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Are you sure its a 11.5mm one? It seemed very close when we tried it the other day. Have you tried it on a later HW35/30? I would hate for someone to question its suitability.
    Yes I am sure the one we were looking at is the 11.5mm one - and that is why it would not fit the old HW35 we were playing with the other day.

I went home and "borrowed" the 13mm dioptre off of my HW55 and it slid straight on - no problem.

I compared the two sights and the one we could not fit is 1.5mm narrower and that is why it would not fit.

As far as I know there are only two sizes of HW sight grooves and they are 11.5mm and 13.0mm.

I have advertised for a damaged or broken HW sight in the hope that I may find one that has the parts needed to fit the incomplete one we played with the other day. It needs a side elevation cover (this includes the pointer arrow) as it does not have one and the indexing is not working on the height adjustment either.

If I can get the parts to fix it then another one will return from the scrap box and being 11.5mm there are a lot of uses for it that I can think of.
    Last edited by zooma; 24-11-2015 at 02:18 PM.