Thread: A wornout SCUBA-diver's weight belt

A wornout SCUBA-diver's weight belt

found its way into my reloading shed a couple of months back, courtesy of an acquaintance who had such a great time [along with his son] at a recent guest day, and donated it to me as a thank-you. And before anybody takes to task about how a shot-belt can wear out, it appears that constant immersion in salt water over a period of years play gip with the stitching.

Anyhow, half an hour work with mrs tac's unpicking device and I was the proud owner of about 45 pounds of mixed-grade/size lead shot. Melting it down resulted in some pretty gruesome and plentiful dross, but once that was skimmed off, what beautiful shiny lead was there for the casting!

The bullets - 535gr Miniés for my Musketoon and 450gr FNL .45-70 Govt for my Winchester High Wall - came out sharply filling the moulds and of very uniform shininess. Even chilling the 405s straight from the mould into a pail of water didn't change the colour, just seemed to make them very smooth and professional-looking.

My experience has pointed me at any dive shop where old gear might be found - in particular weight-belts with shot, rather than the clip-on lumps of lead one often sees.

tac

how many did make tac

Quote Originally Posted by gtpkeeper View Post
    how many did make tac
    Just counted up - decided to toss the RB back in the pot as I'm doing a lot of .45-70Govt right now. So, the final total, with about five pounds left in the pot that I can't get at, taking into account about 12# of dross, left me with about 33# of good stuff.

I just counted off 320 .45-70 and 76 .577 with a decent amount left for RB if I can get the bottom pourer to work again.

The bullets I roll in Alox and the Miniés I lube with Bore-butter on loading.

A good day's work.

tac

scrap

a nice guy at our club gave me a sack full of range scrap, which I cleaned and put into 1 lb ingots,
    and a large pile of rubbery smelling c***,
    got 75 nice ingots which will make 45, 44, 45-70s the next time around,
    NO good for my BP, but very happy any way,
    lead is getting harder to find these days,
    thanks,T