Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Walther LGV question for the tuners out there

A Walther LGV question for the tuners out there

Hello folks

I have an LGV and an LGU. The LGU has one of NickGs skirtless pistons in it and it shoots unbelievably well.

My question is this. I notice that the LGV is sleeved where the piston runs - so I wonder how this sleeve is fitted into the gun. Could it be removed? Could a set up similar to that of the LGU be fashioned so that he piston runs in a movable compression chamber?? If so that would allow me to have a skirtless piston set up in my LGV too and possibly the nicest shooting break barrel on the planet....

Discuss...
    My youtube channel and please subscribe if you like itShooting at Dawn
    Facebook group Air Rifles

the lgv comp ultra is the only gun in my collection that i havnt tuned. simply relube it with a good moly [rocol for example] and leave well alone, they shoot superbly as-is
    TINKERING WITH PASTY POWER

It does indeed

but you seriously need ot have a go with my LGU or any LGU that has either a NickG or Bigtoe skirtless piston in it... They are a revelation. I would love one in my LGV

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    The short answer is no.

You'd end up with an even longer transfer port even if the sleeve was removable.

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by neil180 View Post
    It does indeed

but you seriously need ot have a go with my LGU or any LGU that has either a NickG or Bigtoe skirtless piston in it... They are a revelation. I would love one in my LGV
    Ola

Where can I read up more on this?
    Would like to investigate a little before I try this.
    Paying in ZAR is no joke!

If you mean the NickG or Bigtoe skirtless piston here's a video I did of mine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV6RAO1i1A0

Quote Originally Posted by Snooper601 View Post
    The short answer is no.

You'd end up with an even longer transfer port even if the sleeve was removable.

Cheers

John
    and thats a bad thing I take it??

Quote Originally Posted by Snooper601 View Post
    The short answer is no.

Cheers

John
    hmmmm i wonder if there's a way around that.

Neil ,are you able to have a good old measure up ........piston wise ?

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    I first did a skirtless / bodiless piston many years ago, and the light weight, in a gun set up correctly for them, makes for a very fast, low recoil setup (albeit at the expense of some cocking effort). The 22mm bodiless incarnation I've currently got in the TX addresses this nicely, with the longer, more efficient stroke.

What I've never worked out how to do, however, is to pull a piston back to cock it when there is no skirt / body to engage with

This is clearly a mod for comp tube guns only... so can you convert an LGV to comp tube by removing the sleave and replacing with with an LGU comp tube ? My gut feel is probably, as anything is possible with a bit of time, but why not just use the LGU ?

If you want to play, buy a Century (which is an LGV with the sleeve already removed, and much cheaper than the LGV) and let us know Or at the next bash if someone has both guns (LGV / U) we can take them apart and have a think. John is obviously right about the trans port, and the LGV already has a ridiculously long 25mm (?) port, so adding another 6mm to it's length isn't the best idea. You'd have to plug the LGU trans port / and seal recess up completely, and then drill a new 2.6 (?) mm port though, and install an o-ring seal, but all do-able. But what will the downside of that long TP be ? You could spend £250 in tuning/parts and not like the result.

Not sure about cocking lever lengths / fitment either.

*thinking aloud* you could test the effect of the long TP by machining a 25mm OD disc, 6mm thick, with a 2.6mm Tp through it, and appropriate seals on the OD and for the TP, stick it into your LGV, and see how it shoots. This will emulate the end of the LGU comp tube.

Everyone always says things couldn't or shouldn't be done - I posted up here a decade ago about sleaving my ProElite down with a 25mm tube and was told to leave it alone - well it took me a few years, but having done the conversion it's one of the sweetest guns I have. But no-one would pay for the true cost of doing it.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    hmmmm i wonder if there's a way around that.

Neil ,are you able to have a good old measure up ........piston wise ?

Not at the minute mate - just 'thinking out loud' at this stage...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    I first did a skirtless / bodiless piston many years ago, and the light weight, in a gun set up correctly for them, makes for a very fast, low recoil setup (albeit at the expense of some cocking effort). The 22mm bodiless incarnation I've currently got in the TX addresses this nicely, with the longer, more efficient stroke.

What I've never worked out how to do, however, is to pull a piston back to cock it when there is no skirt / body to engage with

This is clearly a mod for comp tube guns only... so can you convert an LGV to comp tube by removing the sleave and replacing with with an LGU comp tube ? My gut feel is probably, as anything is possible with a bit of time, but why not just use the LGU ?

If you want to play, buy a Century (which is an LGV with the sleeve already removed, and much cheaper than the LGV) and let us know Or at the next bash if someone has both guns (LGV / U) we can take them apart and have a think. John is obviously right about the trans port, and the LGV already has a ridiculously long 25mm (?) port, so adding another 6mm to it's length isn't the best idea. You'd have to plug the LGU trans port / and seal recess up completely, and then drill a new 2.6 (?) mm port though, and install an o-ring seal, but all do-able. But what will the downside of that long TP be ? You could spend £250 in tuning/parts and not like the result.

Not sure about cocking lever lengths / fitment either.

*thinking aloud* you could test the effect of the long TP by machining a 25mm OD disc, 6mm thick, with a 2.6mm Tp through it, and appropriate seals on the OD and for the TP, stick it into your LGV, and see how it shoots. This will emulate the end of the LGU comp tube.

Everyone always says things couldn't or shouldn't be done - I posted up here a decade ago about sleaving my ProElite down with a 25mm tube and was told to leave it alone - well it took me a few years, but having done the conversion it's one of the sweetest guns I have. But no-one would pay for the true cost of doing it.

Cheers Jon

Always a great source of knowledge on springers!

SO a Century isn't sleeved down????

the big advantage of the skirtless design is the low weight, the lgv could have a lightweight piston constructed from ally to achieve the same thing, a steel band on the rear would be required for the cocking lever / shoe to run against, I have been thinking along the lines of this ally/ steel mix for something I am considering doing. the only reason to remove the skirt on the lgu is its an easy path to a lightweight piston. If anyone can post a pic of an lgv piston I will have a look.

Neil,the Century has a 30mm non rotating piston with a rear bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    the big advantage of the skirtless design is the low weight, the lgv could have a lightweight piston constructed from ally to achieve the same thing, a steel band on the rear would be required for the cocking lever / shoe to run against, I have been thinking along the lines of this ally/ steel mix for something I am considering doing. the only reason to remove the skirt on the lgu is its an easy path to a lightweight piston. If anyone can post a pic of an lgv piston I will have a look.

I think its the same as the LGU Nick....

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post

In fact thinking about it - one of your alloy pistons would probably do the job if you can get the thing to cock the gun without destroying the shape of the piston where the cocking arm pushes against the rear piston ring housing. I would want parachute seal rather than O ring though which is the anti christ for you isn't it NicK??