Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC attack article on lead as ammunition

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close

BBC attack article on lead as ammunition

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-34861602

ususal balanced reporting I see..no mention of the fact that the report they are referring to wasnt sanctioned by many of those that participated in the LAG
    Gun control means using both hands.

Wouldn't be so bad if the ammo manufacturers got their collective fingers out and developed some top quality non-toxic alternatives.....

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Wouldn't be so bad if the ammo manufacturers got their collective fingers out and developed some top quality non-toxic alternatives.....
    They have, at least with shotguns. The Bismuth & Tungsten loads work well but at eye watering prices, you wouldn't want to spend a day at the clay ground shooting Tungsten loads. Steel shot is OK too, but you have to up your normal pellet size so obviously it's not as efficient as lead & it can give the chokes a good hammering into the bargain. I know a couple of lads who now have fixed chokes, they were removable but are now apparently welded in.

It's coming........ everybody from anglers to hunters is being affected, and it can't be long before a total ban on lead shot, weights, pellets and bullets is introduced.

And so now is the time for pellet (and air-rifle/pistol) manufacturers to begin research and development of lead-free pellets and barrels that cope best with these...... surely?

I have never used those steel (hard metal) pellets which are carried down the barrel by plastic 'liners'....... how do they rate?

Caveat: If Airgunners insist and shout loudly enough that only lead pellets are any good for their guns, somebody in power might say, 'Yep...... we need to ban hunting with those, like in France'.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbadger View Post
    It's coming........ everybody from anglers to hunters is being affected, and it can't be long before a total ban on lead shot, weights, pellets and bullets is introduced.

And so now is the time for pellet (and air-rifle/pistol) manufacturers to begin research and development of lead-free pellets and barrels that cope best with these...... surely?

I have never used those steel (hard metal) pellets which are carried down the barrel by plastic 'liners'....... how do they rate?

Caveat: If Airgunners insist and shout loudly enough that only lead pellets are any good for their guns, somebody in power might say, 'Yep...... we need to ban hunting with those, like in France'.
    Is there not an argument that single shot air rifle ammo largely is spent indoors on ranges (or, ahem, buried in quarry) and is a drop in the ocean compared to shotguns spraying large quantities into the environment.

Coarse anglers have had no lead for yonks now.

No one would have a problem if there was a cheap realistic alternative so indeed the only hope is that the manufacturers do sort something out. The article talks about "phasing out" lead. I wonder how this would work. If indeed air rifle users would get a break on the basis that the quatities released into the environment are very small.

NASTY.....

"100000 birds annually" that's 11 birds an hour I smell bs
    hoplophobe

And I would love to see where these "children" are that are eating all this game

Quote Originally Posted by Mole trapper View Post
    And I would love to see where these "children" are that are eating all this game
    Won't somebody think of the children

Quote Originally Posted by Hollowpoint View Post
    "100000 birds annually" that's 11 birds an hour I smell bs
    That was an error. The bbc meant to publish that sentence in the Charley sheen article.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    NASTY.....
    ...... ah..... pity
    My local gun-shop flogs Prometheus .22 at £10 per 200...... I called 'em, this pm.

I've got to try them, though.

If all these animals were being poisoned by lead, you would have thought there would be hundreds of wetland shooters with lead poisoning from the birds they ate. Wild game would be banned from the food chain. Would like to see the report.

Quote Originally Posted by Simonsays View Post
    Is there not an argument that single shot air rifle ammo largely is spent indoors on ranges (or, ahem, buried in quarry) and is a drop in the ocean compared to shotguns spraying large quantities into the environment.
    I don't think so....... well, hang on.... there is an argument... one which we would support, but all them millions of voters out there who are not interested in air-gunning... what d'you reckon they would agree to? See? We'll be lead-free by 2020' is my guess.

Coarse anglers have had no lead for yonks now.
    Don't hold your breath for sea anglers........ Look at what happened to two-stroke outboards and such.....

No one would have a problem if there was a cheap realistic alternative so indeed the only hope is that the manufacturers do sort something out. The article talks about "phasing out" lead. I wonder how this would work. If indeed air rifle users would get a break on the basis that the quatities released into the environment are very small.
    That's the point. If somebody can't come up with a brilliant alternative, and barrels to cope with said alternative, in this technical world, I'd be very surprised.

Do you remember how motorists screamed and raged as the filling stations dumped leaded fuel? Remember how valve gear seized up with unleaded fuel? They said that it could never be sorted, yet look at modern motors.....

It's not that we can manage, it's that we're gonna have to.

Does lead not originally come from the ground?

No mention of the other side of the argument. Well done Beeb. Pillocks. Hopefully BASC and the likes will balance the argument with them. The LAG has no credibility left. Bunch of
    If you're not up to date, likes of BASC and CA websites tell more.

secretagentmole Guest
    Don't hold your breath for sea anglers........ Look at what happened to two-stroke outboards and such.....
    2 stroke outboards are alive, well and readily available, the Evinrude E-Tec for example! Do try and keep up old chap!
    Last edited by secretagentmole; 27-11-2015 at 09:05 AM.