Thread: Pellets - how do I choose what suits me?

Pellets - how do I choose what suits me?

Hello, as a newbie to air rifles I have seen a bewildering amount of different types of pellet with differing profiles! How or what is the best way to sort out what I should be using in terms of weight, profile, make etc? I am using a Stoeger S20 .177 springer currently with RWS Superdomes which seem reasonable but wonder if there is anything better to improve grouping etc, I am only plinking at close range targets currently but want to extend my range as I hopefully improve!!
    Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.......

Thanks
    Howard

Welcome to the BBS Howard My advice is stick with dome headed pellets. The super domes your using are a decent pellet, you could also try pellets by Air arms, jsb, H&N etc. Leave the pointed pellets well alone

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Hi Howard and Welcome,

This is a question that will have been asked many, many times on here and other Forums. At the end of the day you are just going to have to try as many different types as you can until you find what suits can I gently steer you towards the 'Search' function on here as I can guarantee there will be many discussions had on this subject in the past. It will be a good place to start at this stage

Regards

Paul
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

you do need to be a highly proficient and confident shot, to know if it's you or the pellets, folk sometimes forget that bit, and proper barrel care.
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    you do need to be a highly proficient and confident shot, to know if it's you or the pellets, folk sometimes forget that bit, and proper barrel care.
    Agreed... Any decent dome head will be fine, it's up to you to get hold, trigger technique, breathing etc right.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

shauny is offline Has a taste for the French fancys
    Quote Originally Posted by Howjo View Post
    Hello, as a newbie to air rifles I have seen a bewildering amount of different types of pellet with differing profiles! How or what is the best way to sort out what I should be using in terms of weight, profile, make etc? I am using a Stoeger S20 .177 springer currently with RWS Superdomes which seem reasonable but wonder if there is anything better to improve grouping etc, I am only plinking at close range targets currently but want to extend my range as I hopefully improve!!

Thanks
    Howard
    hello mate,
    try jsb exact range of pellets.
    seem to work well in the stoeger.

Hi Howard,

There is a pellet thread on here somewhere that'll have a lot of info.

I took a long time to learn my lesson. I kept trying all sorts of pointed ones, hollow tips, plastic ones etc but, I could never find better than a good diablo. The gimmicky stuff is generally crap.

My rifles all like JSB diablos. I find that JSB Heavies in .177 work best for me for hunting. However, H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme (cross tops) also give me very good groups.

You can buy some good pellet sample packs while you're still searching.

As already said, try to be conscious of your own technique while you test them.

Above all, have fun

All of the above.

Thanks
    Howard
    The thing to remember is you need to use what suits the rifle barrel pure & simple.

Every rifle is fractionally different due to manufacturing tolerances, so all you can do is test.

there are firms like Pellet Perfect who supply test packs of so many pellets from multiple brands, if you just count the number they seem expensive, but it's cheaper than buying tins of 500 to test, that aren't accurate.

Stick with round head pellets.

I have to say lots of good info there, but your original heading said 'suits me', sadly it's not you that has to be 'suited'; it's the gun. Firstly decide what you are shooting at, target pellets are not always the best hunting pellets and vice versa, in fact flat nosed pellets lose some accuracy above about 7ft/lbs; good quality round nosed pellets are good for most things but don't put a neat hole in paper targets [only important for competitions]. As has been said Pellet Perfect is just one company that offers a selection of pellets; named, sized and weighted, you don't get many in a pack but if you set yourself a 'program of test' you can note and record as well as see the results, these companies don't seem cheap, but as has been said, it does save you buying tin after tin and maybe having loads of pellets you don't want. A simple word of advice is don't try group sizing free hand, you need to make up a suitable rest for a steady base from which to shoot; if outdoors be careful of conditions, make sure your range is constant, and of course be very aware of your own technique. Also look for other shooters comments with the same rifle. that's a goo start. Hope this helps, don't get too bogged down with statistics that will drive you mad. Just make sure you enjoy the best sport ever and make use of the guys and gals on here, you won't find better anywhere.
    ATVB
    abellringer

Buy a tin of Air Arms Field Target, a tin of JSB Exacts and a tin of JSB Exact Express (lighter pellet).

Chances are they'll all shoot well in your gun. The Superdomes you're using you probably won't be able to improve on to any noticeable extent if you're shooting below 35 yards and they won't be terrible beyond that either (probably).

It 'might' feel slightly better to shoot with the lighter 7.9grain JSB Exact Expresses

For a springer superdomes are the bench mark, they were designed for springers, you could try AA field, a good rule of thumb is light to medium weight pellets for springers, medium to heavy for pcp.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Thanks
    Howard
    As mentioned above go buy the AA and JSB pellets.
    I would like to add the H&N FTT 4.52 to the list

Go to a club and ask advice, the airgunning community
    are such a friendly lot, within 30mins you will have 10 types
    to test
    Usually an experienced shooter will offer to help test.

Good luck and report back!

Do you use Facebook? If so, join the 'Pellet Exchange' group and offer to swap some of the pellets you may have for other types. It's a good way of trying many types for the cost of a few large letter stamps.

Peter

seems to be a popular choice with jsbs these days i remember using caledonian and marksman when iwas young , those were the days .
    eley wasp was for posh people