Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bipod

Bipod

Hi All
    Want to get a bipod for my S400 carbine but can not afford a Harris bipod. Just wondering if you lovely people out there could recommend another, cheaper, make/model.
    Appreciate your help
    Terry

Look on mate you can get Harris clone bipod for £18-£20 posted, from the UK. just type in rifle bipod and you start seeing them straight away.. I use then and I know other people that do as well..

I use one on a smk qb78d with no issue we also use one on a Ruger 10/22 Andrade no issues too,bargain price..

ATB Marc
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Or you could just go with the far more versatile and cost effective " 2 hazel sticks, a zip-tie and a couple of bits of foam pipe lagging" and make your own
    Due to a back problem I cannot shoot from prone anymore so I have made up a set of sticks that are perfect height for shooting from my bucket seat and a set that are fine for standing shots (the latter usually used for deer stalking rather than wandering with the air rifle). Cost next to nought and serve purpose wonderfully

There are loads of Bipods of varying quality, I've had Deben, Stony Point & Shooters Ridge(?) which have all been problem free, but these are all £50+ rather than the very cheap stuff of the bay.

The only Bisley one I had bent at the spring top attachment hole because the metal was quite thin.

I looked at a Sniper Systems 29" for kneeling/sitting, because it's the tallest bipod made, but I was not at all impressed at the quality especially when compared to a Harris.

It's only when you compare them that the Harris quality stands out, so I'd say keep your eyes open for a used one, they're worth the money, otherwise with the cheapies you tend to get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by hktc View Post
    Hi All
    Want to get a bipod for my S400 carbine but can not afford a Harris bipod. Just wondering if you lovely people out there could recommend another, cheaper, make/model.
    Appreciate your help
    Terry
    Hi Terry,

I have 3 of these far eastern cheap ones. They are adequate but just. None of them has a tilt function either. They also have a tendency to mark the stock as the foam protector bit slips off and allows the stock to rest on metal. Harris is expensive for a reason. In their favour these don't cost £120.00, so you pay your £15.00 but should know what to expect for it.

A.G

Thanks a lot gents. Much appreciated.
    Looks as though I shall have to save up another month or two and get the 'real' one!!
    Thanks again
    Terry

peterd8877 is offline Anschutz connoisseur and marksman
    Just continue saving for the proper one and then you will have no regrets. Make sure you know the height you want, the 6-9 inch is okay for benchrest but you may need the 9-13 for hunting in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by peterd8877 View Post
    Just continue saving for the proper one and then you will have no regrets. Make sure you know the height you want, the 6-9 inch is okay for benchrest but you may need the 9-13 for hunting in the field.

Thanks mate
    TC

Quote Originally Posted by lensman57 View Post
    Hi Terry,

I have 3 of these far eastern cheap ones. They are adequate but just. None of them has a tilt function either. They also have a tendency to mark the stock as the foam protector bit slips off and allows the stock to rest on metal. Harris is expensive for a reason. In their favour these don't cost £120.00, so you pay your £15.00 but should know what to expect for it.

A.G
    Mine has tilt/swivel action, was £20. Posted from the UK..
    And has lasted well over a year on my co2 rifle and on a cartridge firearm so easily good enough for a recoilless PCP rifle.
    Personally I think Harris bipods are highly over priced, just my opinion though..
    ATB Marc
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Atlas clone off DHGate £38

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc.RG1 View Post
    And has lasted well over a year on my co2 rifle and on a cartridge firearm so easily good enough for a recoilless PCP rifle.
    Personally I think Harris bipods are highly over priced, just my opinion though..
    ATB Marc
    I have had 2 clone bipods nd I will not buy another. First Deben I bought lost the pads after the first week, these were then held in place with duct tape. The damned thing felt so flimsy you were worried that the legs would snap off, then the pins that went into the QD stud fell out, then it let one of the springs go as I was deploying the legs, luckily it smashed into my knuckles and did not mark the walnut stock. It went flying into a deep ditch.

Move onto several years of worry free Harris ownership. Decided to try another Deben after all the positive comments on here. Bought it, not a cheap one, virtually the same price as a fixed Harris 9-13 (this one had a tilting head), after a week of use the pads started to move and the walnut stock was getting slightly marked, so it went in the recycle bin. Not bothering with another clone, Harris only for me. I do not knock Deben stuff for the sake of knocking it, I am an avid Hawke scope user, but really teyh bipods in my experience have been a load of organically sourced field fertiliser!

Michael Tawn sells the fixed 9-13s at £59.99 and the swivel/tilt at £79.99!

Suppose it comes down to how much do you love your gun....

Core yeah mate, sounds like yours did not hold up well.. Mine was not deben though it was another brand.. And all of them work great and are holding up well, and being put on a Ruger 10/22 you have to make sure it's not going to fall apart while your shooting it, lol we love our firearms that's for sure but know people with Harris bipods and our are holding up under use just as well so don't see the point in spending 5 times as much.

Thanks a lot gents
    Got a few ideas to be getting on with. Will let you know which one I went after.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Marc.RG1 View Post
    ATB Marc
    Wow a whole year

If you still have it, working, in 10 years then I'll accept it as good quality