Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW80 with Titan no. 2 - advice please.

HW80 with Titan no. 2 - advice please.

Can anyone advise me on how many coils to reduce a Titan no.2 spring down by, when fitting to an 80 in .177 - in order to get it in the sub 12ft/lb ball park ?
    As standard, the Titan has 31 coils and loads of pre-load......I just know it's going to be horrendous to shoot. I'm thinking of reducing by at least 3 or 4 coils, but thought I'd seek advice before I get the angle grinder out. - I've turned up a matching spring guide and top hat from steel to suit the Titan, so at least the rifle should be nice and smooth to cock once I get it back together.

Paul.

I believe 21coils left is about right for.22. The rest depends on tophat, Springside and any pre-load washers if required.

I do not know the answer to your question but can offer some advice:
    Go carefully, read what others say but do not automatically assume that because x,y, z, all declare that you should remove 'so many' coils that it will be perfect for you. It is far better to take these recommendations as a guide and err on the side of caution. Remove coils in small steps until you get what you want. Remember: take too many off at any one time and you may end up with a too low power spring. The difference between 9 and 11.5 can be surprisingly little.
    Cheers, Phil

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by GATMAN View Post
    As standard, the Titan has 31 coils and loads of pre-load......I just know it's going to be horrendous to shoot.
    Paul.
    On the contrary, it will probably shoot nice. the problem however will be when you come to chrono it
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

.22 cal AWT gas ram in a .25 cal?

I have one of the new Birmingham built BSA XL Tac in .25, it's shooting at about 11 fpe with 19 grain H&N pellets. I enjoy shooting non magnum springers. I have an AWT sealed gas ram unit for a BSA Lighting in .22 and was thinking about having it installed, it's one of the 12 fpe limited units, just wondering how dropping in the a .22 cal gas ram unit will effect the power being that it's a .25 cal air rifle. I think there were a few guys that dropped .177 cal gas ram units in .22 cal air rifles or vice versa and I believe the power went up. I'm perfectly fine with it shooting at 11-12 fpe but was wondering...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    On the contrary, it will probably shoot nice. the problem however will be when you come to chrono it
    Exactly Jon....it'll be too fast for my chrono.

paul.

For the purposes of this forum, and the fact that we have different legal power restrictions in this country I would suggest that your bsa is set up just fine, as far as tuning goes. There is another section on here for discussing what we know as fire arm certified issues. That is airguns over 12 ft lb.

The OP has posted a perfectly reasonable question - and in the correct section, as I see it. I'm interested in the answer too, because I had an idea of fitting a .25 calibre barrel to a UK-legal sealed-unit .22 rammer - running a little under 11 ft/lbs - and would like to know if it likely to remain sub-12 ft/lbs before I spend cash on a project that wouldn't be legal...

I have a Webley Vulcan with a ram conversion, I also have a quick release breech block and .177 - .22 - .25 barrels, with the rifle set for 10.5ft/lbs in .177 it increases to 11.2ft/lbs for .22 and 11.8ft/lbs for .25, just by changing the barrel.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    I have a Webley Vulcan with a ram conversion, I also have a quick release breech block and .177 - .22 - .25 barrels, with the rifle set for 10.5ft/lbs in .177 it increases to 11.2ft/lbs for .22 and 11.8ft/lbs for .25, just by changing the barrel.
    Very interesting

has anyone noticed where the op is from?
    i had a .25 lightning tactical with a .177 awt ram in it (on ticket),it was very nice to shoot.not sure about what it would be like with a .22 ram in it.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    I have one experience and that was over 10 years ago with a no2 titan spring in a 80, I reduced it to about 22 coils with about 1mm pre-load, it was so smooth
    But it was to close to the limit for comfort so I started to cut off one coil at a time using spacing to take up the slack on the guide, but as the spring got more compressed the power was just going up, I went to 19 coils and then give up and fitted a softer spring.

Quote Originally Posted by larrylamppost View Post
    has anyone noticed where the op is from?
    i had a .25 lightning tactical with a .177 awt ram in it (on ticket),it was very nice to shoot.not sure about what it would be like with a .22 ram in it.
    Op is from the US but I don't shoot magnum springers or gassers. Not looking to convert it to fac but I was wondering how the .22 gas ram would effect the .25 cal. The ram is set to the legal limit but in .22 and I want to drop it into a .25 cal air rifle.

What I do on any rifle I toooone is the following.
    Choose your top hat and rear guide, best is get hold of that tinbum fellow,
    every now and again he seems to know what he is talking about

Put the piston in the gun and fit the tophat and spring.
    Now.... look where the bottom of the rear follower will be if you
    were to assemble the gun, mark it.

Take out the spring and from your mark count 5 coils.
    Cut it there.
    This usually gives a good starting point to work from. Now you can clip one coil at a time
    and play with preload washers.

Not saying it is the right way, just my way.

A correct length titan shoots very well in an 80, the short stiff spring does a great job on the big ol piston imo

I prefer V Mach springs generally, but do have a perfectly well set up 80 with a titan and it shoots superb.

Titan are a very very good spring, if not quite the very best, or as refined as V Mach who do their best to produce an exact spec spring matched to model/calibre
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34