Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HW80 with Titan no. 2 - advice please.

OK as a rule of thumb as the calibre goes up so does the air efficiency so .177 is least air efficient, .25 much more so.

Purely on that basis, if the ram is designed as sub 12fpe for a .22, it might be a fraction over on a .25, further details are impossible, as due to manufacturing tolerances no two rifles are identical.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    A correct length titan shoots very well in an 80, the short stiff spring does a great job on the big ol piston imo

I prefer V Mach springs generally, but do have a perfectly well set up 80 with a titan and it shoots superb.

Titan are a very very good spring, if not quite the very best, or as refined as V Mach who do their best to produce an exact spec spring matched to model/calibre
    I also agree that the titan and vmach are the top springs but the titan( no 2 ) in a 80 that is running right is risky if you want to stay legal, its the same with the old large diameter 80 vmach springs,
    I think that Steve now supply's hw 95 diameter springs for the 12ft/lb 80.
    Does your 80 have a large diameter no 2 titan in it ? is it .177 or .22 and how close does it get to the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Purely on that basis, if the ram is designed as sub 12fpe for a .22, it might be a fraction over on a .25, further details are impossible, as due to manufacturing tolerances no two rifles are identical.
    Thanks - that's the bit I wanted to know about...

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Thanks - that's the bit I wanted to know about...
    Same here, thanks

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    In springers you'll generally find that .25 has the same efficiency as .177 , i.e. a .177 power plant will produce roughly the same power when a .25 barrel is fitted.
    It seems to contradict the .22 /.177 rules but it's due to the extra frictional losses countering the efficiency that the extra cross sectional area should give.

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Snooper601 View Post
    In springers you'll generally find that .25 has the same efficiency as .177 , i.e. a .177 power plant will produce roughly the same power when a .25 barrel is fitted.
    It seems to contradict the .22 /.177 rules but it's due to the extra frictional losses countering the efficiency that the extra cross sectional area should give.

Cheers

John
    A timely thread... So when considering the most suitable spring for a sub 12ftlb HW80 in .25, a .177 spring is a reasonable starting point?

Cheers,
    Tim

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Snooper601 View Post

Cheers

John
    I agree with this.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I also agree that the titan and vmach are the top springs but the titan( no 2 ) in a 80 that is running right is risky if you want to stay legal, its the same with the old large diameter 80 vmach springs,
    I think that Steve now supply's hw 95 diameter springs for the 12ft/lb 80.
    Does your 80 have a large diameter no 2 titan in it ? is it .177 or .22 and how close does it get to the limit.
    No Barry, not right risky. 11.4 in 20 cal, it's not the spring that's the issue as much a seal wear, that was the problem with the old Venom seals, the ones that V Mach now use for fac rifles only - (power pulse). Titan springs don't shoot up if correctly set, as welsh willy's kits clearly show.
    What people perhaps don't realise is to check after a year or so, not just at original set up time. I find that in 177 and 22 hw80s are fine, I'm not keen on sub 12ftlbs in 22, prefer 85/95 then unless 80 short stroked or reduced diameter
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    Quote Originally Posted by TRS1 View Post
    A timely thread... So when considering the most suitable spring for a sub 12ftlb HW80 in .25, a .177 spring is a reasonable starting point?

Cheers,
    Tim
    Yes, it's a good starting point when tuning a .25 springer.

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    No Barry, not right risky. 11.4 in 20 cal, it's not the spring that's the issue as much a seal wear, that was the problem with the old Venom seals, the ones that V Mach now use for fac rifles only - (power pulse). Titan springs don't shoot up if correctly set, as welsh willy's kits clearly show.
    The spring that I am talking about is the heavy gage no 2I am guessing welsh willy 80 kits are not no 2 titans.

Who actually manufactures titan springs?
    Terry Robb beast springs look the same are they just re-badged titans?

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post

Who actually manufactures titan springs?

John Knibbs International, Barry.

He used to supply springs under the name P and J Springs (Pauline and John) in the good old days.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    John Knibbs International, Barry.

He used to supply springs under the name P and J Springs (Pauline and John) in the good old days.

All the best Mick
    Thanks Mick,
    That's where I bought my first titan spring
    Any idea if the beast spring is a titan?

hw80 titan

Hi I have a welsh willy HW80 in .22 and it is sublime. It matches my HW100 for accuracy on a very good day!! From what i remember the WW spring is a titan and it was a bigger dia than the stock spring when i fitted it. The kit had a number of different thickness washers supplied with it and I have had no overpower issues with it as the original piston seal was used and it had already run been run in with about 3000 pellets.
    mk2 rapid.22