Thread: Neck turner options

Neck turner options

Hi chaps, I may well need to start neck turning some brass next year for my fireball. I'm looking at the KM unit or if I'm feeling rich at the time a 21st century lathe set up. I can't see any one selling the hornady lathe set up over here yet. Using an electric driver to power, is the KM unit up to the job. I'm also concerned whether any of the units are more likely to damage the case when held in the case holder. Your thoughts thanks.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

I use the K&M neck-turning set-up and find it works well with a bit of mechanical sympathy.
    Big Ears AKA BE.

yep happy with k&m ,are you having a custom built or just a clean up of the necks?

Necking down from .221 fireball to .17 fireball with the appropriate dies.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Quote Originally Posted by zx10mike View Post
    yep happy with k&m ,are you having a custom built or just a clean up of the necks?
    Hi Mike its a pacnor barrel from Neil Mckillop. Once I get the hang of turning I will adjust for a fine tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by stillair1 View Post
    Hi Mike its a pacnor barrel from Neil Mckillop. Once I get the hang of turning I will adjust for a fine tolerance.
    Last edited by zx10mike; 26-12-2015 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stillair1 View Post
    Necking down from .221 fireball to .17 fireball with the appropriate dies.
    Hi Stillair, my 17 fireball brass is nearing the end of its life so i too am thinking about necking down 221, what form dies are you using mate? thanks

Ian.

Hi Ian, I've not got any dies yet. I believe Mark Ellis has some, I'm not sure of the make, they might be Redding by looking on the web site. Another way is .221 to .20VT, anneal, then down to .17fireball, and then neck trim ,info which I gratefully received from Richness (Richard Utting ) which he has used to good effect.

Searching the net for info, there seems to be mixed reports on the quality of Redding necking down dies. Some say they work great, others have had issues.
    I'm currently sourcing info on all the bits I need
    The first fly in the ointment will be sourcing nosler or norma .221 cases. I did email Nosler btw, to see if there's any possibility of .17 fireball brass coming from them (no plans at this time).
    As for Remington UK.my local rfd has been waiting a year now for rem small primers. So I've more chance of winning the lottery than seeing any .17 fireball brass from them.
    I have 200 rem .17fb brass on their 3rd firings so I'm probably in a similar position to you. With the current quality of hmr ammo, the fireball will coming out to play more often.

Neil

Hi stillair,
    I have ordered Lapua 221 Fireball brass and a set of Redding forming dies from Mark Ellis, these are going to be used with a new custom chambered barrel, i will let you know how the forming goes, i am going to try a few in my rifle before i change the barrel.
    I have also just purchased the KM 17 neck turning mandrel and the expanderon for my KM neck turning tool, ,its an excellent tool and is very accurate if you dont try to take too much off in one pass, poewering it by an electric screwdriver speeds up the operation somewhat and gives you a more ripple free finish, even though any ripples will eventually be ironed out after firing.

TB.

PS. my current batch of Remington brass has been reloaded 8 times, although my fireball is my go to rifle i am venturing back into the realms of the 17HMR for the third time, im a sucker for punishment but when it is working properly it is an excellent little cartridge.
    Last edited by Treebone; 09-01-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Hi Ian
    Good stuff, that's exactly what I will be getting from Spud in a month or so. I've just got to recover a bit from a scope spend up before xmas.. I've sussed out the annealing front. Definitely let me know how the die forming goes. I've a soft spot for the hmr too.

Neil