Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight rifle for HFT - FX Wildcat perhaps?

Lightweight rifle for HFT - FX Wildcat perhaps?

Hi Guys.

As part of falling apart with age I’ve got a problem with my left arm that is getting steadily worse. I can still shoot my HW100 carbine and my Steyr HFT (both about 10lb including scope), but they are becoming a problem, especially when standing. So now I’m looking for lightweight rifle, mainly for HFT. I had thought of putting my HW into a skeleton stock, but I don’t think I’d gain much advantage as the weight is mainly in the metal bits (to use the technical term) anyway. One comparatively cheap solution might be an S400 either in the Superlite version or possibly in a custom stock. I know its not regulated, but there have been a lot of cracking scores shot with S400's, and I could always fit a regulator later. On the other hand, I really fancy a Wildcat . In either case I should save about 2lb.

Any of you folks got any thoughts/experience of using lightweight rifles in general for HFT or how the Wildcat is shaping up in practice, now there is a reasonable number out there? How about single shot loading for the Wildcat? Is it practical, or do you need to use the magazine?

Looking forward to your replies.
    Last edited by Archer50; 29-11-2015 at 01:03 PM.

Hi,
    Being a seasoned HFT shooter for the last 8 years I have tried quite a few set ups and shot with GML 400's and MPR's until recently, although I still have my 2 MPR's as a back up to my Steyr. I would still shoot quite happily with and MPR in a lighter custom stock such as a CS800 or GINB which would gain you a couple of pounds with a light scope on top.

Just a thought but if it's just your left arm, maybe adding weight to the back would lighten the weight on the front.Balance is a funny thing on a gun. I couldnt believe what the FTP weighs when I shouldered one as it felt lighter than my EV2 due to the balance. Sorry dont know anything about Wildcats but I do have a spare GML 400 with a Ben Taylor reg fitted.

Dean.
    BASC

Maybe just swap the heavy standard cylinder for an after market aluminium version. I shoot a HW101 with an A&M carbine cylinder, can't remember the actual weight saving but it's very noticeable. I manage around 70 shots but I have also fitted a full length barrel and anti bounce hammer/valve springs.
    You don't mention what scope you have fitted, might be able to shave a few ounces with a lighter scope.
    Bob

I was gong to suggest adding weight to the rear of gun, also I don't know what scope you are using but an mtc connect although fairly heavy for its size can put the weight towards the back a little. Also try using a different stance ,you should be using as little muscle as possible .
    Don't know anything about the fx but s400k are great little gun and the ones I've had have been amazingly accurate and light but too light for my liking.
    RHINO GUIDED WALTHER LG400
    BASC HFT TEAM ENGLAND 2016 HAS BEEN
    www.tuggstatts.co.uk

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    If you're happy with the HW100, see if you can borrow a lighter cylinder, it'll transform it.
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

Mog is offline Mog has so much potential but does not apply himself fully.
    St Hilaire du Harcouët, Lower Normandy/East Sussex
    So far advice has been given on making the rifle lighter, have you thought about your standing shooting stance? I assume your right handed and your leading (left hand), the one you're having trouble with, is taking the weight. If, at the moment you're using a hunter/sporter stance you might find it easier to adopt a target stance, supporting the stock nearer the trigger and tucking your elbow into your hip, that's if your physically able to do so. HTH.
    Truttemer Tir Club

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité

If you do want to lighten the HW100 then A&M ally cylinder and skeleton CS800 stock is the way to go. The balance is just forward of the magazine slot. It's still a good bit heavier than an S400 Superlite but much better than a standard HW100.

This is mine.

Mog is offline Mog has so much potential but does not apply himself fully.
    St Hilaire du Harcouët, Lower Normandy/East Sussex
    Aa s200?
    Truttemer Tir Club

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    If you do want to lighten the HW100 then A&M ally cylinder and skeleton CS800 stock is the way to go. The balance is just forward of the magazine slot. It's still a good bit heavier than an S400 Superlite but much better than a standard HW100.

This is mine.
    I wondered about the CS stock and that looks really good. Any idea what the weight actually is?

Btw, I've already got the A&M cylinder - it makes quite a difference.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Archer50 View Post
    Hi Guys.

As part of falling apart with age I’ve got a problem with my left arm that is getting steadily worse. I can still shoot my HW100 carbine and my Steyr HFT (both about 10lb including scope), but they are becoming a problem, especially when standing. So now I’m looking for lightweight rifle, mainly for HFT. I had thought of putting my HW into a skeleton stock, but I don’t think I’d gain much advantage as the weight is mainly in the metal bits (to use the technical term) anyway. One comparatively cheap solution might be an S400 either in the Superlite version or possibly in a custom stock. I know its not regulated, but there have been a lot of cracking scores shot with S400's, and I could always fit a regulator later. On the other hand, I really fancy a Wildcat . In either case I should save about 2lb.

Any of you folks got any thoughts/experience of using lightweight rifles in general for HFT or how the Wildcat is shaping up in practice, now there is a reasonable number out there? How about single shot loading for the Wildcat? Is it practical, or do you need to use the magazine?

Looking forward to your replies.
    Think very carefully before committing yourself to an unregulated rifle for HFT. AA guns are accurate but have a very pronounced power curve. This does make your POI almost unpredictable unless you wish to only use the 40 odd shots around the sweet spot.

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by Mog View Post
    Aa s200?
    Good option with an external reg 70+ regulated shots, or an ally cylinder for an uber light rifle though as standard a 11.3fpe S200 gives enough shots for HFT.

imorik is offline I stick my head out and take it on the chin.
    Bit of an oddball but I like the look of the TAU BRNO MK300 http://sureshot-airguns.co.uk/tau-brno-mk-300-sniper/

Not seen one in the flesh. It's a little over 3kg unscoped so not a heavy gun.
    AA TX200 MK2 .177, MK3 Barrel, long stroked & shortened T/P
    AA TX200 MK3 HC .177, 22mm internals, shortened T/P
    http://www.anstonftc.co.uk/

Holywell, North Wales (twinned with Trumpville)
    Have you had a look at the new Brocock Compatto?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJYECikA3L0
    Is there such a thing as owning too many guns?

A bullpup configuration will move most of the weight behind the trigger and you will support much of the weight with your shoulder. I can actually shoot my Viking from standing position with right hand only. Vulcan and Cricket are good ones and FX Wildcat is a possible candidate one FX gets their act together. Alternatively get a bullpup kit for your HW.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

What are bullpups like for shooting prone of the peg?