Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Spring/Summer MPL Postal Competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave.N View Post
    Payment made and email sent. First ever comp of any kind so expecting to be at the bottom end especially as I am not yet a very good shot and will be shooting with a new pistol.
    Hi Dave,

I sent your entry pack out to you today.

Don't worry about this being your first competition - the MPL competition is a fun competition and the only person you will enjoy beating is yourself if you can score better than the previous month now and again.

If you can show a steady improvement then it is good to see that every month - but don't worry about the peaks and troughs that we all go through

When you have "peaked" in future years you can also use it as a barometer to keep yourself up to your current average.

6 yard shooting on the Air 8 targets is no easier than shooting at 10 meters at your local club so it is a very good competition to take part in and one that I hope you will enjoy.

Best regards,

Bob.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Hi Andy,

Thanks for your entries.

I will get two pistol entry packs out to you tomorrow - the stickers with a "S" marked across them is for use on the Supported Pistol Class targets .

Thanks for keeping Elvis company - now we could do with another entry in the Supported Pistol Class to keep you company :roll eyes:

Best regards,

Bob.
    Hi Bob,

Entry packs arrived on Thurs. All checked and counted, everything present and correct. I'm looking forward to getting things under way.

Thanks
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Dave.N View Post
    Payment made and email sent. First ever comp of any kind so expecting to be at the bottom end especially as I am not yet a very good shot and will be shooting with a new pistol.
    Hi Dave,

Sounds like we're both in a similar situation , barring the odd bit of backyard plinking with my CO2 CP88 I have done absolutely zero pistol shooting up until last month.

With regards to the scores I'll probably see you down there around the bottom of the standings!

As Bob has said though, we've got to start somewhere. I just want to see some improvement over time and I'll be happy.

ATB
    Andy

hi bob entry packs arrived today thanks, looks like we are all looking at bottom of the league position well count me into that one
    cheers chris

Quote Originally Posted by dot1dog View Post
    hi bob entry packs arrived today thanks, looks like we are all looking at bottom of the league position well count me into that one
    cheers chris
    You and Andy may well surprise yourselves but if you are at the bottom when you start then you can only go UP so that is not such a bad place to start from as you will have everything to look forward to as your experience helps you to improve.

The best thing to do is to get in plenty of practice on the correct targets and become familiar with your choice of pistols.

I shot with a Webley Allecto and a Webley Nemesis during this current season and proved that you do not need anything expensive to compete with or to enjoy shooting your mach cards with.

Both these pistols have far more ability than the shooter that was holding them and are not expensive to buy and are available "used" for even less.

The MPL is a great series to take part in as only air pistols or rifles that need Muscle Power to put the energy into them can be used and this by definition brings many of the older and Classic air pistol and rifles into play as well as the less expensive current production models.

It also excludes all of the CO2 and PCP examples - so none of the expensive and sophisticated current match airguns can be used - and this provides a very level playing field for us all to enjoy!
    Last edited by zooma; 20-12-2015 at 10:29 AM.

Hello to All,

The thing I most like is that you can use the old non-target 'springers' that a lot of people would turn their noses up at

These non-target classics can still shoot surprisingly well, and can be most satisfying to shoot, as well as being a bit 'interesting'

I am finally getting of my arse (got some time off work !!) and getting the backlog of cards from August --> December done

Have fun & a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Hello to All,

The thing I most like is that you can use the old non-target 'springers' that a lot of people would turn their noses up at

These non-target classics can still shoot surprisingly well, and can be most satisfying to shoot, as well as being a bit 'interesting'

I am finally getting of my arse (got some time off work !!) and getting the backlog of cards from August --> December done

Have fun & a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Best regards

Russ
    Precisely the attraction for me. Means I can use an aperture sighted Webley Mk 3 in a competition.

JM

JM,

+1 on the Webley Mk3

A spiffing rifle to use in the MPL !

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

With some luck we may see a few Webley Mk3 entering the rifle competition next year - and perhaps some Supertargets too!

Maybe some of the BSA fans would like to dig out their .177 rifles to give the Webley shooters a run for their money?

Webley Mk 3 Supertarget

I had a play with a couple of Webley Mk 3 Supertargets the other day and was surprised at how well they shot.

I was shooting into a RedBob bell target and was impressed with the trigger - that may sound like a strange thing to say but I had just been shooting some BSA Airsporters and compared to them the Mk 3 ST does have a very good trigger !

As I got "acclimatised" to the trigger I found it to be every bit as predictable to use as the fabled trigger on my HW rifles - it was just a case of getting used to it.

The Mk3 ST is a very small and lightweight rifle compared to any of the current crop of heavy match rifles and was a real joy to shoot - ringing the bell reasonably frequently also suggested that it could be good choice of MPL rifle as well - in some ways it felt like the HW 30S that has also proven to be a good MPL rifle choice.

I used RWS Superdome pellets for bell target shooting but have used RWS Meisterkugeln 4.50 match pellets on the 6 yard Air 7 targets with some success too.

I think the Mk 3 Supertarget will be very bit as competitive as the HW35 I had a go with in the MPL league recently and if used regularly it could even be a better choice - and by jove it is British !

Entries Please

I have just received the trophies for the previous MPL Postal Competition that ends TODAY.

This reminds me that we need to get the entries in for this NEW competition that you can start to shoot from tomorrow onwards but you can join in at any time during the next 6 months.

Supported pistol???

Hello All,

I see I'm still alone on this. I had been hoping that once one name was down, others may follow but alas No!

As it happens I'm a bit behind on my prep for it, I've got a cheap speaker stand lined up to be the base for my support but suitable grip mods for my mp46m are proving to be a little trickier due to the underlever...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyTMan View Post
    Hello All,

I see I'm still alone on this. I had been hoping that once one name was down, others may follow but alas No!

As it happens I'm a bit behind on my prep for it, I've got a cheap speaker stand lined up to be the base for my support but suitable grip mods for my mp46m are proving to be a little trickier due to the underlever...
    Hi Andy,

Don't worry - it is not a lost cause yet - but even if you do end up being the only entry don't give up as we will still display the score every month and as time goes by I am sure this will attract some attention and we will get some more "support" ( sorry) for this new class.

We always seem to get late entries - more than we get on time entries - but this is absolutely fine as it reflects the casual and fun nature of the MPL competition and we encourage new entries at any time during the competition.

A speaker stand sounds like a neat way of getting some good support and the base of your grip only needs to make a tangent to the round bar or cylinder you rest it on ( no shaping of the lower grip surface) so it should not be too bad to accommodate your MP46M.

Any information about your stand or grip mods would be good to read about on this thread as it all helps to keep the subject fresh and may also help others to "have a go" too .

Supported pistol shooting is NOT easy - all it does is to take the weight off of the pistol supporting arm. Initial testing at RMTC did not show the super increased scoring figures we all expected compared to the regular free standing ( unsupported ) position and it did show that aiming and trigger control remain very much in the ( supported) hand of the shooter.

This is a worthy and challenging competition class, but like all things new it often takes time and the resolve of those involved to get it started.

Hi Bob,

I'll keep plugging on for now then. At least with no other competitors to start with I can be guaranteed top spot in the standings for a certain period of time

I was hoping to post some pics and info after attempting to shoot the first round.

George sent me the rules etc so I've been working from this. I'm sure I'll come up with something suitable, alternatively it will be a good excuse to add a pistol to my collection. I had been looking at the CP1 which can be bought at such good value in Europe. CO2 powered single shot so still qualifies but with a very simple grip that I will be happy to bodge around with to my hearts content...

I'm looking forward to seeing how it all works out.

Andy

Comps 6 yds

Hi bob
    Today is sent my money via PayPal but think I said for ten meters. It's. Not it was. For this
    .177 6 YARD MPL POSTAL COMPETITION. January 2016 - June 2016 ( inclusive).

Regards peter. Ty