Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Spring/Summer MPL Postal Competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave.N View Post
    Why is it I shoot a great card, then I stick the stickers on and shoot 2 poor cards and then straight after use one without a sticker and another great card?

I think my stickers are faulty. They keep deflecting the pellets.
    Guess I'll end up last again this month.
    Lol it seems that I am a bit like that as well although hopefully be recording some decent scores after a little fettling of my hw40
    Not going to give up on my compact but I feel it's too new to take to bits and potentially fluff for the sake of a wee experiment but could do with investing in another pistol of good quality when I have the cash

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    If I remember correctly the pellet that suited the LP53 the best when we tested it the last time was a 4.50 Meisterkugeln - but for as long as the pistol is out of control it makes absolutely no difference what pellet it has bunged up the spout!

There are a lot of collectors of LP53 pistols and if we could get enough of them together in the MPL we could even start a sub category to see who can get the best out of them and to share hints and tips to bring the scores achieved up to a more respectable level.

At the moment it is all a mystery to me and I fail to understand how SOME people are able to hit good scores with such a good looking but highly unwieldy kicking beast

I hope John gets to read this and decides to show us how it should be done - he is a bit of an LP53 buff and is known to have some that need some exercise !
    Hi Bob,

I'd be up for a sub category for LP53s. My single hand shooting is not what it was once though - too many aches and pains!

Maybe a comp that allows unsupported two or single handed use? We could call it the Bond

Once I have 'zoned' myself in with an LP53, I have found them an accurate pistol, although probably not the most accurate spring pistol. They can be a little wild and require a tad more concentration on the follow through than say a contemporary Webley. The muzzle is a little light due to most of the weight being in the grip but having said this, my scores are worse with the factory muzzle weight fitted. In fairness, I have not used a muzzle weight that often and ought to put in a little more practice with one.

As for pellets, I have had good results with JSBs outdoors and H&N Match indoors.

Kind regards,

John
    Last edited by Josie & John; 08-02-2016 at 08:46 PM.
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Bob,

I'd be up for a sub category for LP53s. My single hand shooting is not what it was once though - too many aches and pains!

Maybe a comp that allows unsupported two or single handed use? We could call it the Bond

Once I have 'zoned' myself in with an LP53, I have found them an accurate pistol, although probably not the most accurate spring pistol. They can be a little wild and require a tad more concentration on the follow through than say a contemporary Webley. The muzzle is a little light due to most of the weight being in the grip but having said this, my scores are worse with the factory muzzle weight fitted. In fairness, I have not used a muzzle weight that often and ought to put in a little more practice with one.

As for pellets, I have had good results with JSBs outdoors and H&N Match indoors.

Kind regards,

John
    Ha - get your entry in and bash the card with an LP53.

Aches and pains - I have had major neck problems following an injury for years and it is getting worse as time goes by and the Rheumatism is now creeping into both of my hands as well. We could probably play "Top Trumps" with aches and pains and bore everyone else to death but it does not matter as it is much more of a challenge now and so even small amounts of success make me smile so give it a go and see how the therapy works for you!

My practice with the LP53 tonight is showing some small signs of improvement - from spraying the card to closing in on the black and now hitting it more than missing it is a great improvement and enables me to adjust the sights to get the group ( if you can call it that) moving towards the centre of the target.

I forgot my Meisterkugeln pellets tonight and have been using RWS Basics, but these are not shooting too bad and as the pistol remembers how to work again after being hidden away for years it seems to be getting a little more consistent .

The spring retaining cap at the base of the pistol has come slightly loose a couple of times but nothing to worry about just a slight twist to get it back tight again.

Come on John - get your LP53 spitting out some lead at 6 yards every month
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Everyone knows that stickers make the wall move

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Lol it seems that I am a bit like that as well although hopefully be recording some decent scores after a little fettling of my hw40
    Not going to give up on my compact but I feel it's too new to take to bits and potentially fluff for the sake of a wee experiment but could do with investing in another pistol of good quality when I have the cash
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Well, gave the LP a good run last night to bed the new seal, once I got used to it I managed some good groups and really enjoyed it, I did find grip was the main factor in getting in the black, hold it loosly like a normal kicker and it went off on a tangent but a good firm hold produced a nice controllable kick, mine's the later flat back and only tried R10's and Geco's as yet.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Quote Originally Posted by nige346 View Post
    Well, gave the LP a good run last night to bed the new seal, once I got used to it I managed some good groups and really enjoyed it, I did find grip was the main factor in getting in the black, hold it loosly like a normal kicker and it went off on a tangent but a good firm hold produced a nice controllable kick, mine's the later flat back and only tried R10's and Geco's as yet.
    I followed your technique Nige and held the LP53 more tightly than I would normally do for a springer and as you say it does give a better group with more consistent results.

The scores I achieved are far better than I would have expected them to be - BUT - I also notice the results are a bit more variable than I would like them to be as well so I think I could have had an element of "LP53 Beginners Luck" and would be quite surprised if it went that well again!

The LP53 I am using is a nice tidy earlier model with the hooked back and has brown grips. It also came in a hard fitted Walther case with red silk lining. This is probably more interesting to a collector to be honest so I may sell it as I have another LP53 that just came in a carboard box and I am sure I could get on just as well (or not) with that one!

I will have to take a look to see what it is worth and then put an advert for it on the BBS - I only really need the one LP53

I am elevating this to the top of the page as I am still receiving emails from interested persons who would like to know the rules and how to enter.

I followed your technique Nige and held the LP53 more tightly than I would normally do for a springer and as you say it does give a better group with more consistent results.

The scores I achieved are far better than I would have expected them to be - BUT - I also notice the results are a bit more variable than I would like them to be as well so I think I could have had an element of "LP53 Beginners Luck" and would be quite surprised if it went that well again!

The LP53 I am using is a nice tidy earlier model with the hooked back and has brown grips. It also came in a hard fitted Walther case with red silk lining. This is probably more interesting to a collector to be honest so I may sell it as I have another LP53 that just came in a carboard box and I am sure I could get on just as well (or not) with that one!

I will have to take a look to see what it is worth and then put an advert for it on the BBS - I only really need the one LP53
    Just sent my results with the LP53 and very pleased with them, must be the new piston head/seal I made certainly shots nice,
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,

Blaming your good scores on new bits you have made is phooey. It was just plain good shooting - Well shot Nigel!

Geo

Quote Originally Posted by thirdwheel View Post
    Blaming your good scores on new bits you have made is phooey. It was just plain good shooting - Well shot Nigel!

Geo
    Maybe, but its good justification for the wife for all the hours I spend in the shed
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,

Quote Originally Posted by nige346 View Post
    Maybe, but its good justification for the wife for all the hours I spend in the shed
    Have you made any changes from the original dimensions ?

And if so, has it helped to reduce or soften the infamous LP53 "kick"?

If your mod has achieved any of the above it can only be good news and a great reason for choosing to shoot this great old (iconic) classic pistol in the MPL.

Very good shooting with it by the way - a very impressive score with an LP53 - wish I could do that

Welcome to our newest competitor bobroberts75.

Hope you enjoy shooting in the MPL pistol series with us

We have had some more new interest in this competition again today and so I am pushing this thread back to the top so the rules and entry details can be easily found and seen by those that have not seen them before.

More new enquiries this morning from late entries for this current MPL competition - all thanks to John and his article in Airgun World magazine!

Thanks John

More new enquiries this morning from late entries for this current MPL competition - all thanks to John and his article in Airgun World magazine!

Thanks John
    Glad to have helped Zooma.

It is good to see growing interest in this discipline.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.