Thread: Milbro Diana 27 with Double Pull Trigger

Milbro Diana 27 with Double Pull Trigger

Does anyone know if the early 'Double-Pull' trigger version of the Scottish Mod 27 is easy to strip for someone who is somewhat technically challenged? - I.e. me!

I bought a nice clean example of this underrated classic recently but it seems down on power somewhat. Does the trigger need to be touched/dismantled before the spring can be accessed?

John

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Does anyone know if the early 'Double-Pull' trigger version of the Scottish Mod 27 is easy to strip for someone who is somewhat technically challenged? - I.e. me!

I bought a nice clean example of this underrated classic recently but it seems down on power somewhat. Does the trigger need to be touched/dismantled before the spring can be accessed?

John
    John I've sent a pm that may or may not be of some use. However, before you get the lump hammer out, first try soaking the breech washer and then maybe replace it.
    Often with leather breech seals, they flatten over the years and the power falls on a gun. The gun can feel a bit harsh as well. I've had a few old guns that were down on power and then worked fine with either soaking the breech seal or making a new one.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    John I've sent a pm that may or may not be of some use. However, before you get the lump hammer out, first try soaking the breech washer and then maybe replace it.
    Often with leather breech seals, they flatten over the years and the power falls on a gun. The gun can feel a bit harsh as well. I've had a few old guns that were down on power and then worked fine with either soaking the breech seal or making a new one.
    Thanks Guy - yes very useful but I will probably leave the rifle alone as I don't want to risk damaging it.

Breech washer theory makes sense though and I'll do as you say. I have some NOS Diana Mk IV breech washers amongst my spares - do you know if they will also fit the early Mod 27?

Finally, how deep does the breech washer sit within its recess? Would you recommend it is prised out with a needle/pin?

John

Thumbs up

These two links below may be helpful, they helped me out when researching the Diana mod 27

removing-the-diana-27-seal

blog-diana-27-part-9/

Hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by Targe View Post
    These two links below may be helpful, they helped me out when researching the Diana mod 27

removing-the-diana-27-seal

blog-diana-27-part-9/

Hope it helps
    Thanks for the links. As I'm somewhat ham fisted though, I have decided to leave the seal in place. The rifle works, so any tinkering I carry out could be detrimental to its health!

Kind regards,

John

I have rarely got an old leather breech seal out intact ... start to pick it out and it will begin to fall apart. Very easy to make though providing you have the leather or tap washer and some punches. If I am right the seal may be 12mm across with an 8mm hole in the middle. I use a set of wad punches to make this type. It can be a bit difficult to get the 8mm hole exactly in the middle so I have a small guide that has an 8mm peg in the centre and is 12mm round. I punch the 8mm hole first, put the guide peg in the hole and then the 12mm punch over the outside of the guide before clouting it. Job done. Soak in suitable oil ... e.g. neatsfoot or whatever and fit. Leather or tap washer should be correct depth but if it is a tad too thin you can easily shim it up with a card disc under it ... or a steel shim from a beer can.
    Leather : old belts or handbags from a car boot sale can be very cheap. My wife threw out an old leather handbag bought on a Greek holiday many years ago. Leather is about 3mm thick. Or, a tip mentioned on here but which I have not tried yet ... get some leather boot laces and cut a length to fit in the groove.

Cheers, Phil

Spooky! 27 problems...

My first rifle, back in the '70's, was a '50's (?) 2 stage alloy triggered 27 in .22. Bought a later (steel triggered) one in .177 off a gent on this site last year, used it a few times, then put it away, preferring my Webley/BSA/HW's. I gave it a good outing on my plinking range today. Was impressed with how powerful & accurate it was for the time, but after 150 pellets remembered why I'd put it away. Every 10-20 shots, the barrel latch would be very hard to open or shut when breaking to gun to cock, or latching it shut. It all seems well lubed, any ideas?

Came back in, logged on, & the first thread I see is this...

EDIT; Apologies - my recently aquired Diana is a 25, rather than a 27. DOH!
    Bru
    Last edited by laverdabru; 09-01-2016 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Brain Fade!
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Thanks for the links. As I'm somewhat ham fisted though, I have decided to leave the seal in place. The rifle works, so any tinkering I carry out could be detrimental to its health!

Kind regards,

John
    I know exactly what you mean lol
    I just cleaned the rust of my mod 27 with 0000 wire wool and cleaned the stock up and rubbed boiled linseed oil into it,
    And put a few drops of oil in the transfer port/piston to soak the leather seal

Thats all I'm going to do to it for now as i know i would end up losing bits

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

hi john great to see you and jose in proteks today with the friday club,although we were concerned that
    you had failed us on the "jaffa cakes" of which you are renowned ,if you could remember next time
    The only thing missing was "binners" complaining about the cracked tea cups again.
    very amused that you came in to drop off a pistol and buy some target cards and still managed to
    go out with a rather nice looking little gem!!
    did you get a chance to see the american crank gallery gun? amazing mix of the rustic yet solid
    engineering of the time .
    amazing revelation about the new TNT postal charges horror etcwait till this gets to the ears of
    one and all.
    Last edited by red bob; 08-01-2016 at 05:59 PM.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

diana 27

targes link tells it all really,just had a peek to remind me how the 27 works.i took mine apart(and put it back together),not as bad as you think.my leather washer was flat and replaced with synthetic.you need a spring compressor,knock one up with clamps and vice.refer to targes link and try not to lose the bearings when the bits come apart.line them up and push(with compressor) them back in.the trigger stays put if i remember.don't suppose that's much help but it was not too tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by red bob View Post
    hi john great to see you and jose in proteks today with the friday club,although we were concerned that
    you had failed us on the "jaffa cakes" of which you are renowned ,if you could remember next time
    The only thing missing was "binners" complaining about the cracked tea cups again.
    very amused that you came in to drop off a pistol and buy some target cards and still managed to
    go out with a rather nice looking little gem!!
    did you get a chance to see the american crank gallery gun? amazing mix of the rustic yet solid
    engineering of the time .
    amazing revelation about the new TNT postal charges horror etcwait till this gets to the ears of
    one and all.
    Great to meet you at long last Bob. Can't believe I didn't think to bring the Asda Jaffa cakes as we still have 3 boxes over from Christmas, so it's not as if we don't have any! Will do next time.

That little Gem was marketed as a 'Jewel' a little over a century ago and would you believe it just shot a 20 cm group at 6 yards from the standing position? Only trouble was it grouped some 2 inches above the aimpoint and some aiming off is required. Nevertheless it does demonstrate that these cylinder in the wrist airguns were not all of poor quality. I think I may take her to the club tomorrow to see if she can hit longer range targets.

No, I didn't look at the gallery gun - will need to next time I visit. That TNT cost hike was like a kick in the guts and I hope an alternative can be found, otherwise it could have a detrimental effect on collecting through RFDs.

Best wishes,

John (Jo sends her best too)
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.