Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extending the range of 6ftlb match guns.

Extending the range of 6ftlb match guns.

I had a little 6fpe HW30s for a while which was able to group very nicely at 20 and even 30 yards.

It got me wondering how many of you use your own match guns out to say 20 yards informally, or if there have ever been any fun type competitions with these guns at that range.

I know they are designed for one purpose - extreme accuracy at 10m - but I just wondered.

I also wondered how well the match type pellets would hold up at 20 yards.

I suppose I could always go outside and see, but it's too cold a the moment.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Arthur

If you Google "minisniping", you'll find a few sites in the States talking about what you're asking about.

My Diana 66 wore a scope for so many years as a long-range plinker that I forgot where I'd put some of the sight parts 10M Match rifles stay stupidly accurate out to at least 30 yards. But with very loopy trajectories, and a lot of wind sensitivity.

If you go onto http://www.tenrings.co.uk/20-yards-testing/ you'll find their results.
    Makes very interesting reading.
    ,AA , Magtech , Arnie, Sako, Ruger . plus the others .

Thanks for the links, boys.
    Arthur

One of the 'match target' boyos came along to an FT shoot with a FWB300 & diopter sight.

He took all the shots standing, and didn't miss a target out to 40 yards.

Well that's what somebody said. I wasn't there so I don't know. But I doubt it was windy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    One of the 'match target' boyos came along to an FT shoot with a FWB300 & diopter sight.

He took all the shots standing, and didn't miss a target out to 40 yards.

Well that's what somebody said. I wasn't there so I don't know. But I doubt it was windy.
    If I could find a scope mount to fit I would have a go with my 300SU - that would be fun!

Some time back I saw a pictures of a superb scope mount on a 300SU and got very excited about it but could never find one. I checked with FWB and they said it was not one of theirs or anything they had ever supplied.

I asked on the BBS and got a PM from somebody claiming to be from a well known UK mount maker who told me that it was them that made these mounts. I was delighted and said I would buy one.

..but I never heard back from him again!

So at this moment I cannot find a scope mount to fit my 300SU anywhere so that is not going to happen!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Lots of 20 yard pistol comps and 20 meter air rifle comps down south, lots of shooters use sporting rifles + scope, I find I can do better with my AR 20 target rifle,
    but I am a rotten shot.
    We use PL 14 targets for 20 meter rifle, and I think the same target for 20 yard pistol, but I dont shoot that, its to b---y hard at 74.
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    If I could find a scope mount to fit I would have a go with my 300SU - that would be fun!

Some time back I saw a pictures of a superb scope mount on a 300SU and got very excited about it but could never find one. I checked with FWB and they said it was not one of theirs or anything they had ever supplied.

I asked on the BBS and got a PM from somebody claiming to be from a well known UK mount maker who told me that it was them that made these mounts. I was delighted and said I would buy one.

So at this moment I cannot find a scope mount to fit my 300SU anywhere so that is not going to happen!
    Aren't they the regular 11mm ones Bob?

I've see loads of photos of FWB 300s scoped.
    Arthur

20yds Air

Hi .
    I shoot the Midland 20 yd cards with my Walther LG300,it does ok for me.
    The rifle(or me)does not do as well at 25 yds although I once got into the top 3 in a ukbr22 comp.
    I am not an air rifle shooter as such but I do like to have a bit of range time now and again.
    Against all good advice I shoot Match Diabolo, the reason for that is when I got this rifle about 8 yrs ago there were 5000 of this type of pellet included.
    John F.

xbow is offline "Right a bit, left a bit............"
    Maybe I should refit the old reg in my P700 and have a go...
    We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.
    Rudeness is the weak mans imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer.

If I don’t reply to your comments it’s probably because you’re on my Ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post

Bob, there are a bunch of guys on youtube showing their 300s fitted up with some serious sighting systems for FT use, search for Tomaz Holmstrom for a variety of stripping and longer range shooting stuff, and airgunoperator with his heavily modified 300SU.

match weapons at longer range

Yorkshire county and Leeds and district run comps for 20yds air pistol in the summer and winter postal leagues,.177 or .22 can be used,all shots scored using a .22 gauge, pl15 target i think.And any sight's i think.
    They both also run sporting air rifle 20yds comps using air pistol 10mtr AP4?targets, 5 shots per card x 4 per round..177 or .22 scored using .22 gauge.10 mtr match rifles are used by some as perfectly accurate at 20yds,no different to people who use Styer's or Walther's twiddly things!Any sights too!
    And of course there are 20yd and 25yd bench rest comps as well for .177/.22 and .22 rimfire all mixed in together scored using .22 gauge.Any sights.
    A 10mtr match weapon is perfectly capable for any of these comps.You can use your diopters too!
    The reduced power compared to a 12ft pound weapon can have positive advantages!
    Don.

Quote Originally Posted by trick cyclist View Post
    Bob, there are a bunch of guys on youtube showing their 300s fitted up with some serious sighting systems for FT use, search for Tomaz Holmstrom for a variety of stripping and longer range shooting stuff, and airgunoperator with his heavily modified 300SU.

Thanks for that - I will take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    Aren't they the regular 11mm ones Bob?

I've see loads of photos of FWB 300s scoped.
    You could be right there John - it was my Feinwerkbau 601 that I could never find any scope mounts to fit - I think the 300S should be much easier to find a solution for.

10-metre match rifles can be great to use at longer ranges.

But please bear in mind the rifle+scope+glove-weight limits and trigger-weight limits of the competition if you want to shoot Lighweight Sport Rifle comps.