Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extending the range of 6ftlb match guns.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Long range with air

A few years back the NSRA in a move to increase access to young people and avoid firearms restrictions in clubs, announced a trial to allow match air rifles to be used to shoot standard 25 yd prone .22 target competitions.

Just as a matter of interest my wife who is a good prone shot did some trial prone cards with her then match air rifle which was an LG300 Walther Junior. On a perfect wind free day she shot two cards scoring 99 and 100, with the ton cleaning out all the pips. That's near enough a one hole group. She thought it was easier than with her .22.

Sadly the NSRA never allowed it in competitions, sad, it may have brought more young and new people into the sport.

Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

match air weapons

Robin the NSRA couldnt run a p** up in a brewery ! they are out of touch with what ordinary Joe would like to take part in. they seem to have it all revolving around international standards and have neglected the "clubmen".
    When LSWR was first introduced it came as a surprise,at first it looked good,air weapons could compete alongside the rimfire boys then the rules on the weight of the gun and trigger weight etc ruled out any quality sporting air rifle from competeing,a TX.HW77 etc were overweight,but rimfire sporters mostly only weighed 6 or 7 ibs.
    I rang Bisley and spoke to a person in the comps dept.who agreed that our sporters were out of spec. but to give him his due he did get a comp started called supersport,this enabled match airgun shooters to take part in a new comp shot at 20yds on BM1089 targets,it didnt get much publicity and i think it only managed a couple of seasons before it was dropped.
    At our county meet for LSWR/Sport air rifle there is no weighing equipment and triggers for air rifles,just cock the rifle and bang the butt on the floor to prove its safe.
    Our postal comps are seperated into .22 rimfire carbine and Sport air rifle, if its air powered its in!
    Same with benchrest.22 and air all in the mix shot on the county's own BR cards,any rifle can be used, match,sporter,pre charged or spring , if it shoots then use it!
    If it aint fun then its time to stop!
    Don.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    If I could find a scope mount to fit I would have a go with my 300SU - that would be fun!
    Not sure what the issue is with mounts - I have scoped a number of my FWB300's using ordinary Sportsmatch and BKL mounts. The only thing to watch is how big the scope is to avoid obstructing the loading port - unless you happen to have a Running Boar version. I do find that a droop compensating mount helps for longer range shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    You could be right there John - it was my Feinwerkbau 601 that I could never find any scope mounts to fit - I think the 300S should be much easier to find a solution for.
    That makes sense, I have also seen an interesting mount for a 601 but could not find a source for it.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    Not sure what the issue is with mounts - I have scoped a number of my FWB300's using ordinary Sportsmatch and BKL mounts. The only thing to watch is how big the scope is to avoid obstructing the loading port - unless you happen to have a Running Boar version. I do find that a droop compensating mount helps for longer range shooting.

That makes sense, I have also seen an interesting mount for a 601 but could not find a source for it.

It was a long time ago that I wanted to fit a scope to my FWB but it was the 601 I had problems with and still cannot find a mount that will fit it.

I asked FWB if they had any idea who made it and they had no idea other than to confirm it was not them.

I started a thread about it here on the BBS and somebody submitted a photo of a superb mount that was made for the 600 series rifles.

The picture showed it fitted to a 601.

As mentioned previously, I had a comment from somebody claiming to be from a well known UK mount manufacturer who said that he had made them.

I was really impressed and wanted to buy one from him but he would never reapply to my request for details of price and delivery cost so maybe I called his bluff ?
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    One of the 'match target' boyos came along to an FT shoot with a FWB300 & diopter sight.

He took all the shots standing, and didn't miss a target out to 40 yards.

Well that's what somebody said. I wasn't there so I don't know. But I doubt it was windy.
    Back in the day, Ian Law used a FWB 300 to shoot field target courses with just diopter. The problems start when trying to locate a target craftily hidden in long grass 15 yards out, that's when optics come into it. Ian was such a good marksmen though with the ability to read range and windage as long as he could see the kill zones. I've heard the FWB range of match rifles can be engineered to reach higher velocities without upsetting the sledge system.