Thread: Webley MK3 Trigger weight

Webley MK3 Trigger weight

To all not sure if im on the correct page , can I adjust the trigger on a Webley MK3
    I have a vast collection of match rifles and pistols and this feels like pulling up the anchor?

Hi,

You can adjust it. There were three types of trigger on the Mk III. The first was the so called double pull with adjustment screw located on the trigger blade. The second and third had a locking screw on the side of the trigger block, whilst the adjusting screw was located on top of the block. The differences between the 2nd and 3rd types is the 2nd has a curly trigger profile, whilst the 3rd type has a shorter trigger blade, which sits slightly further back. The 2nd type had the best and 'crispiest' pull, whilst the 3rd type probably had the heaviest pull. Ironically the Supertargets were fitted with the 3rd type, which in my experience was the worst trigger on any of the Mk III rifles!

As a rough guide, the 1st type can be seen on rifles serial numbered to 6000. The 2nd type from SN 6001 until the A prefix was introduced in 1966 and the 3rd type on letter prefixed rifles.

John

Hi, the answer is yes as has been superbly described by John & Josie. To be totally honest unless you have a two stage trigger version you can adjust from bloody awful to just awful. Sad really that an iconic gun such as the MKIII never had a decent trigger mechanism. On a note of caution, if you have a sintered mechanism, be very careful, as too light a pull will result in the edges of the trigger and sear breaking up and the gun will quickly become unsafe. Spares are available but not cheap. Hope this helps.
    ATVB
    abellringer

Webley MK3 Trigger adjust

Thanks for that When I get 10 mins I shall give it a go.

Webley MK3 Trigger

All done thanks for that chaps. I did remove the action from the stock as I was not sure of what I was looking for.
    There is no need to do so as both screws are easily accessible
    Well done

I have a nice pair of Mk 3 Supertarget rifles and as has been mentioned the trigger adjustment varies between awful and bloody awful.

Such a shame for a good looking and desirable iconic match rifle to have one of the worst trigger actions in the business - but if you can shoot one of these well then any other match rifle is easy !

...I know you like a challenge Alan - so go for it - and enter it in the MPL postal competition and see how you get on

Anything over 45 ex 50 in this 6 yard competition with a Mk 3 Supertarget would be impressive
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I have a nice pair of Mk 3 Supertarget rifles and as has been mentioned the trigger adjustment varies between awful and bloody awful.

Such a shame for a good looking and desirable iconic match rifle to have one of the worst trigger actions in the business - but if you can shoot one of these well then any other match rifle is easy !

...I know you like a challenge Alan - so go for it - and enter it in the MPL postal competition and see how you get on

Anything over 45 ex 50 in this 6 yard competition with a Mk 3 Supertarget would be impressive
    I'm quite tempted to have a go myself Bob. Do you have a link to the relevant MPL rules and target dimensions? Presumably the target can be downloaded?

Kind regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I'm quite tempted to have a go myself Bob. Do you have a link to the relevant MPL rules and target dimensions? Presumably the target can be downloaded?

Kind regards,

John
    Hi John,

Jump onto the target section where I have just written-up the rules and how to enter etc for the new 2016 Spring Summer MPL postal competition that starts on 1st January 2016 - just a few weeks away!

It would be good to have you join us - it is a great excuse to exercise some of our Classic airguns

Bob.

Hi John,

Jump onto the target section where I have just written-up the rules and how to enter etc for the new 2016 Spring Summer MPL postal competition that starts on 1st January 2016 - just a few weeks away!

It would be good to have you join us - it is a great excuse to exercise some of our Classic airguns

Bob.
    Thanks Bob. I'll print off the rules and show them to the Bisley vintage section tomorrow evening. You never know, some may want to enter. I think I may have a go as it's an excuse to use a post WW2 rifle in competition rather than the pre 1939 rifles our club rules stipulate.

I think that was my first visit to the Targets section, I'm ashamed to say

John

Thanks Bob. I'll print off the rules and show them to the Bisley vintage section tomorrow evening. You never know, some may want to enter. I think I may have a go as it's an excuse to use a post WW2 rifle in competition rather than the pre 1939 rifles our club rules stipulate.

I think that was my first visit to the Targets section, I'm ashamed to say

John
    Don't be afraid - there are some very nice people in the target section - many also contribute to the Collectable section too!

It is possible to be a collector of classic match pistols and rifles (like myself) and this bridges both sections sometimes making it difficult to know which one to start a new thread on when the subject concerned is a classic target rifle ( or pistol).

The MPL is another case where it was devised to encourage the use of classic springer and CO2 pistols and rifles but as it was a target competition it was placed in the Target section which means we may have missed some possible entries from the Collectable section who may not have taken a little peep over the section wall to find out about it.

Lets hope a few more from each section take a peek at each others threads now and again as there are interesting threads that both sets of contributors would find interesting from time to time.

Red face Webley MK3 Trigger

Hi Bob Hope all is well I hear through the grapevine that you are still buying a few bits,
    As for 45/50 with a webley I could do that over my shoulder using a shaving mirror
    All the best

Quote Originally Posted by 10/10 View Post
    Hi Bob Hope all is well I hear through the grapevine that you are still buying a few bits,
    As for 45/50 with a webley I could do that over my shoulder using a shaving mirror
    All the best
    Ha !

Any form of optical aid is banned (and this includes shaving mirrors) and shooting from a rest is banned too ( resting on your shoulder) so the challenge is can you do it freestanding?

The only way to prove this is to enter the 6yard MPL postal series with your Webley

Your grapevine has extended roots and the vibes are true - I am still having a little dabble now and again but selling a few nice things as well and this may have to include one of my HW55T so I am still slowly reducing the collection but unable to resist some of the nice old Walther match rifles that come up now and again

Hope to see your MPL entry soon

Don't be afraid - there are some very nice people in the target section - many also contribute to the Collectable section too!

It is possible to be a collector of classic match pistols and rifles (like myself) and this bridges both sections sometimes making it difficult to know which one to start a new thread on when the subject concerned is a classic target rifle ( or pistol).

The MPL is another case where it was devised to encourage the use of classic springer and CO2 pistols and rifles but as it was a target competition it was placed in the Target section which means we may have missed some possible entries from the Collectable section who may not have taken a little peep over the section wall to find out about it.

Lets hope a few more from each section take a peek at each others threads now and again as there are interesting threads that both sets of contributors would find interesting from time to time.
    Hi Bob,

I'm more embarrassed than afraid as I ought to have visited the Target section before now. Especially as I used to shoot 10 M air pistol competitively for a number of years. The idea of competing with a 1950s-60s Webley or BSA appeals and I will have a go - This is something I should have dipped into before now.

John

Hi Bob,

I'm more embarrassed than afraid as I ought to have visited the Target section before now. Especially as I used to shoot 10 M air pistol competitively for a number of years. The idea of competing with a 1950s-60s Webley or BSA appeals and I will have a go - This is something I should have dipped into before now.

John
    Its never too late John.

..and that is what you need to tell your friends as you try to persuade them to also come and have a go with us in the MPL.