Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'New ASG 715 6" revolvers...'

Having seen this youtube vid of the pellet firing 715 version and its pathetic fps figures I will not be getting one,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DKNBfcWUPI
    Last edited by mrto; 14-01-2016 at 04:16 AM.

Three things
    It was -10c
    That is a different box to the model I bought indicating an early or different model?
    The pellet shells are not the ones supplied with my gun but those from the previous DW pellet shooters.
    I will chrono mine at the weekend- bearing in mind it will be cold!

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Three things
    It was -10c
    That is a different box to the model I bought indicating an early or different model?
    The pellet shells are not the ones supplied with my gun but those from the previous DW pellet shooters.
    I will chrono mine at the weekend- bearing in mind it will be cold!

I hope those are the reasons then for that pistols poor performance!

I will be very interested to hear what yours is chrono'ing at......

Just came across this promo vid comparing bb version to pellet version,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPxLD9kmASU
    Last edited by mrto; 14-01-2016 at 11:11 AM.

Minus 10 C pressure of CO2 is around 390 psi. Our average is 820 psi.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I think the daft safety could break the trigger mechanism if you forgot it was on or it got pushed on by accident and you tried to fire it
    then surely that would indicate poor design? a safety is supposed to do just that, stop you from pulling the trigger thereby making the weapon safe? I have 14 co2 pistols, and 10 airsoft pistols, and none of them break when i pull the trigger with the safety on

The broken valve one was in Finland so a bit cold for alloy!

It was -10c

so by that reasoning all his other co2 pistols must be broken?

i'm not "gingernut bashing" here - you have these models and are obviously enjoying them and for that I applaud you, and I still really want one but my money's staying where it is on this occasion as due to the available evidence thus far produced you are in a minority of one

just my ha'porth

We shall see.
    Let's not get into who has the most co2 pistols.

Mines not broken either. Not sure where the evidence is here, you saw one break and read about a couple of others??

Annoying when such a thing happens for sure, but without knowing how many are out there working well it's difficult to get the real picture.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Depressing

Threads like this reinforce my belief that however nice many of these things made as airguns by airsoft manfacturers appear, they are not to be trusted. I just hear too many problems.

I guess the business model is you make them really cheap, sell in bulk, and factor in the warranty claims when they break.

Even the traditional Umarex replicas (5/686, CP88, 99, 225, 1911, 92...) have similar problems of questionable design and Zamak construction, although they are marketed as high-end, German quality, full metal etc products. In their slight defence, at least you or your friendly local gun doctor can get spare parts, unlike a lot of the others. My friendly local gun doctor has had to fix a few of mine.

My first CO2 multi-shot replicas ages ago were a Crosman 357 and a Daisy 693 (S&W 59 9mm pistol copy). They were very cheap, mostly plastic, did not have blowback, did not load or function in a realistic manner, and had moulded fake controls. And had horrid triggers, and really poor (Daisy) or average (Cros) sights. If you held them, you could not mistake them for the real deal. But they did not break.

I'm afraid that if a newbie asked me what to buy in this area, I'd tell him/her to buy (a) a really cheap non-blowback BB thing like the Crosman C11 or Umarex TDP, or (b) a Makarov. Or forget it and buy a "proper" traditional air pistol.

My own personal foray into these modern Asian made bb guns has been initiated by the Umarex Colt, which I am surprised to be able to say has impressed me quite a bit.The majority of other models I have looked at,though don't impress much at all and seem too much of toy like poor quality and performance.

This new ASG Dan Wesson 715 does seem to be problematic by what I have read,but time only will tell if there is a significant design or manufacturing flaw to the model.
    Last edited by mrto; 15-01-2016 at 03:05 AM.

At least they aren't VAG coil packs!
    You will know what I mean if you have a VAG car -or you soon will.

As a free tip replace them with Bosch - nothing else!

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Threads like this reinforce my belief that however nice many of these things made as airguns by airsoft manfacturers appear, they are not to be trusted. I just hear too many problems.

I guess the business model is you make them really cheap, sell in bulk, and factor in the warranty claims when they break.

Even the traditional Umarex replicas (5/686, CP88, 99, 225, 1911, 92...) have similar problems of questionable design and Zamak construction, although they are marketed as high-end, German quality, full metal etc products. In their slight defence, at least you or your friendly local gun doctor can get spare parts, unlike a lot of the others. My friendly local gun doctor has had to fix a few of mine.

My first CO2 multi-shot replicas ages ago were a Crosman 357 and a Daisy 693 (S&W 59 9mm pistol copy). They were very cheap, mostly plastic, did not have blowback, did not load or function in a realistic manner, and had moulded fake controls. And had horrid triggers, and really poor (Daisy) or average (Cros) sights. If you held them, you could not mistake them for the real deal. But they did not break.

I'm afraid that if a newbie asked me what to buy in this area, I'd tell him/her to buy (a) a really cheap non-blowback BB thing like the Crosman C11 or Umarex TDP, or (b) a Makarov. Or forget it and buy a "proper" traditional air pistol.
    This thread only actually has one person who has seen a fault and not with their own gun, the only thread on the UBC has 3 faults mentioned, one of them is the same as in this thread! One of the posts links to a video which shows a pistol used with the incorrect shells in sub zero temperatures.

Again, I question the evidence of a bad product. I'm not denying there are faults but we have all taken back expensive purchases with a fault and not written them off as a bad product. The internet is a perfect media for types who think that personal opinion translates into fact once typed or spoken.

Anyway, some testing. As already mentioned the UK pistols come with shells similar to the Peacemaker that load from the rear. In the video shown above (incidentally shot in very cold conditions) the pistols was chronoed with Front loading old style DW shells. It is 4 degrees here right now, not warm at all but not -10. So, some tests :

RWS Match from the correct shells for this pistol give me an average of 357 FPS
    RWS Match from the shells used in the video give me an average of 238 FPS
    And just for fun, Gamo lead ball from an original DW BB Shell gives me 249 FPS

So I think we can put the power issue to bed, though it is worth pointing out that the DW pellet shells also add about 100FPS to the old DW pellet firing revolvers (A shame because I have loads of the old pellet shells and they are very nicely made). Worth pointing out as well that I have just shot the pistol a lot and it is great fun to shoot, feels very very solid in the hand and is decently accurate. My opinion, it feels a lot more solid than my Peacemaker does.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

And if you look at the pistol box the 400 + fps claimed is with 35 gram pellets which are pretty rare.
    I have some H&N Green which are near that so will give them a go.
    Trouble is I use an outdoor chrono at the range and it is v cold even in the South!

And if you look at the pistol box the 400 + fps claimed is with 35 gram pellets which are pretty rare.
    I have some H&N Green which are near that so will give them a go.
    Trouble is I use an outdoor chrono at the range and it is v cold even in the South!
    Put the CO2 cylinder in your trouser pocket for 1/2 hr before hand. Should push the first 4 or 5 shots up to summer levels!
    Steyr LP10, AA S200 .177,
    Remmy Express .177, Sig Sauer P226- .177
    Crosman Rabbitstopper- .22, Chinese XS36-1- .22

Hopefully, this pistol will prove to be reliable for the majority and, though I personally am interested in revolvers of the American frontier this is quite an appealing looking pistol that I wouldn't mind having as a garage or indoor plinker.

More and more reviews of the 715 will start appearing on youtube over the next month or so I am sure.

As there appears to be a trend in the industry towards more of this type of pellet gun I would like to see higher fps with an eight pus grain weight pellet, even at the trade off of a dozen or so fewer shots......
    Last edited by mrto; 16-01-2016 at 02:59 AM.

Off to our forest range in an hour to chrono a couple of 715's plus a plethora of other items, Firebird .25, Spitfire .22, 600,677, 2 x Rohm, plus, plus, plus....
    Will post results on Dan Wesson. Hope the temperature picks up.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD