Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'New ASG 715 6" revolvers...'

My 715 chrono today.
    Temp 2C
    New ASG gas not warmed.

AA Diablo 290fps.
    H&N ftt Green .36 gram between 364 and 379 fps.
    This is AGS suggested weight.

All shots single action.
    But then Baz suggested double action and with the Greens 419 fps!

By comparison my Umarex Colt Python did just 290fps tho it is only a 4 inch.

Again the 715 performed well on can bashing and I think it is a proper air pistol which will be even better when it's warmer!

It does seem 30 odd fps slow for a 6" barrel going by some other models...

You really don't get the cold thing do you?
    Which other models are you referring to?

Actually,I do "get" the cold thing.As you stated yourself your 4" barrelled Python is returning the same fps at the 2 degrees C you say it was when you chrono'd both guns yesterday.

I would expect to see the extra 2" of barrel of the 715 return higher fps figures at the same temperatures.In the youtube vid at Crawley Surplus Store when the chap there states the chrono figures for the bb version he remarked that it was a "bit under" at 350fps, the pellet version he stated with AA 8.4 grains was achieving between 330 and 350 fps,(he doesn't state temperature in the shop) which is in the region of 30fps slower than the Crosman 357 I used to have for example with the same weight pellets or the 6" Umarex eight shot revolving 'semi auto' pistols,there are others too that shoot faster.

There of course is no real industry power standard for these Co2 pistols other than the practical limitations of the design.As a potential buyer I am just stating what I prefer to see from one.

ATB.
    Last edited by mrto; 17-01-2016 at 02:52 AM.

I think it's a lovely looking pistol whtever the fps. The grey pellet version is my next aquisition.

Typically,these guns perform better in the bb version,unfortunately that doesn't appear to be the case with this pistol.If it had been returning stated figures on the Surplus Store vid of around 400fps or more that is the version I would have gone for.Of course the pistol demonstrated may not be typical of all of them,so I'll just wait and see what other reviewers findings are.

I agree,it's a lovely looking pistol hence my interest and concerns...

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Typically,these guns perform better in the bb version,unfortunately that doesn't appear to be the case with this pistol.If it had been returning stated figures on the Surplus Store vid of around 400fps or more that is the version I would have gone for.Of course the pistol demonstrated may not be typical of all of them,so I'll just wait and see what other reviewers findings are.

I agree,it's a lovely looking pistol hence my interest and concerns...
    Define "perform better".

Why are you so hung up on velocity, does it make that much difference to you ?
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

It did very well in my view and slightly exceeded the claimed fps in double action.
    Obviously it will do better in warmer weather.

I thought I preferred the Python but side by side the 715 has taken a big step forward for this type of gun.

Also the Python shells fall apart which is a bit odd!

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Define "perform better".

Why are you so hung up on velocity, does it make that much difference to you ?

I am not "hung up on velocity",but I do want a pistol for my money that will perform at least as well as other models.If a gun fails to do that I will purchase another.

As I have said,for me the jury is still out.

Have you bought a 715,by the way and do you like it?

I am not "hung up on velocity",but I do want a pistol for my money that will perform at least as well as other models.If a gun fails to do that I will purchase another.

As I have said,for me the jury is still out.

Have you bought a 715,by the way and do you like it?
    Yes, I have one. It is very nice indeed. It seems to perform well for me, I wouldn't worry at all about velocity, it is more than adequate for a CO2 pistol..
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Yes, I have one. It is very nice indeed. It seems to perform well for me, I wouldn't worry at all about velocity, it is more than adequate for a CO2 pistol..

If it is a capable tin can basher I will probably get one, eventually.I'm glad you're happy with yours......

i dont think you can get great fps from a modern replica co2 pistol?
    Compared to older classic models they are wimps.

When you build a replica you have to make it look real.
    No such constraints when you design your own pistol.

I have a couple of Challenger Plainsman pistols that prove the point.

As does the Schimel which I grant you looks a bit like a Luger.

The S&W 78G and 79G are however closely modelled on their target pistol and were made by S&W.
    So close as you can get to a good power replica.

Spring pistols are also a good choice for power but not easy to shoot.

If it is a capable tin can basher I will probably get one, eventually.I'm glad you're happy with yours......
    Fair enough.
    I dont blame you for researching your purchase choices.
    I admit I just tend to think< oh that looks nice> which may not be a great way to buy!

If the 715 breaks I will post about it

I think the only crap pistol I have bought is the PX4 which I took back in 2 days.
    but some people still like them!
    Last edited by gingernut; 17-01-2016 at 01:39 PM.

I have several Crosman 150's and a 157 I also have a S&W 78g,an early Croman 38T a Crosman 600 and an SA6.I don't have a Schimmel,but will rectify that at some point or a Plainsmen which I would like too.I have several Sheridan EB Co2 pistols also and have had a number of the early,but still in production Umarex rotary eight shot pistols,so I am very familiar with Co2 pistols.

These Asian made low powered bb guns designed originally for 6mm bb in the main are underwhelming,but my interest has been piqued by the newly designed Colt SAA and now this model 715.

It will definitely be interesting to see what follows in the future from the industry.Nine tenths of it with these guns is,of course imagination anyway....

Next on My list, when it becomes available in Canada, the price, ouch! our Loonie taking quite a beating!
    Looks to be a beautiful gun, irresistible! Will be interesting to see how it stacks up against my DW6 or 586-6?
    Just received My Sig Sauer Pellet, seems a 'keeper'!
    Baikal MP654 MP53M IZH-46M LP53 CP88comp Alecto .177 LB, .22 Tempest .177, .22 Cr 2240 Weih HW45 HW45BS HW70 HW75 XSP180 Cometa Indian Hatsan25 Scorp MKII Benj Trail NP AVOKE Diana P5 Avanti747 * PLUS Over 70, Co2 BB/Pellet Pistols*