Thread: BP newbie advice please

Renegade Master is offline They mostly come at night, mostly

BP newbie advice please

Hi guys,

I shot a blackpowder pistol at the weekend (think it was a Pietta) and did quite well with it, in fact it won me a very nice bottle of bourbon.

I'm vaguely considering putting in a variation for a BP revolver as I must say I enjoyed shooting it. I've reads a few threads on here and see that the Ruger Old Army appears to be favourite, but I can't justify spending circa £500 on a toy that will see only occasional use.

A quick search on Gun trader has brought up a few sub £200 options, like the Pietta Navy Colt, Uberti Westerners Arms and Remington New Army. My question is, which is the best of the non-ROA pistols?

Cheers,

Dan
    Last edited by Renegade Master; 18-12-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Über to Remington new army is the best for me, colts are a pain.
    Also nitro convert if needs be but they shoot lovely as they are. Not expensive either

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenC View Post
    Über to Remington new army is the best for me, colts are a pain.
    Also nitro convert if needs be but they shoot lovely as they are. Not expensive either
    Yup, the Remington New Model Army of 1858 is a very good and much cheaper alternative to the ROA, spares for which are non-existent. Fortunately, it's built like the Pyramids - even mine, at 28 years old and shot most weekends, shows hardly any wear that won't buff out.

Pietta quality has come on leaps and bounds in recent years, and is now easily on a par with the better-known brands like Uberti and Pedersoli. However, THE defining BP revolver just has to be the beautiful and graceful Colt Navy .36cal. Cheap to shoot at ca.18gr of 3Fg per shot, and using a .375" ball that's looks pretty small compared to the .44cal, it's prolly THE most pointish revolver ever put in the hands of men. Wild Bill Hickock used a pair of them, didn't he?

Next on the list are another two contenders, both in .44cal. They are the Rogers & Spencer and the Spiller & Burr - both solid frame actions, unlike the open-topped Colt design. They both have a much larger hand-grip than the Colt, BTW. The CSA version of the Colt, made by Griswold and Gunnison, is a rarer model to encounter, and is usually found with a brass frame. If you are buying used, stay away from ANY brass-framed pistol - you really do not know just how amny shots of whoompers it has fired, and brass framed revolvers suffer from action stretch after a time of hard-shooting. However, if you buy new, and keep the loads moderate, they will serve you well, and, of course, they look pretty spiffy, too.

Don't overlook that getting the gun is only the beginning - you'll be needing a lot of other stuff to keep them going, not least of which is the actual boom-dust itself. Black powder needs a license, but the subs like Pyrodex, Triple 7, and so on do not.

Ask questions until you are happy that we've answered them - there are a good few other folks on this forum apart from me with many years experience shooting guns as they were meant to be shot - lots of smoke and flames and that lovely lingering aroma of massed cow-farts.

tac

Thanks for the advice guys, given me a lot of things to research.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Master View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys, given me a lot of things to research.
    Here's a list of MUST-haves -

1. Powder dispenser - not necessarily a flask. You decide how you are going to reload. Remember that you MUST use a non-ferrous powder dispenser designed for BP.

2. Nipple wrench of the correct type.

3. BP or sub propellant - 3Fg for BP and Pyrodex P for a sub. BP will need an official storage box - figure £75 or make your own from online plans. Subs are just like any nitro propellant as far as safe storage goes.

4. #10 or #11 percussion caps - see if you can try before you buy - they MUST be a good tight fit on the nipples.

5. The latest edition of the Lyman Black Powder manual - THE MUST-have book of how-to!!!!!!!!!

Here's a list of nice-to-haves -

1. Lead casting pot to make your own bullets/ball from PURE lead only. After the first time you've paid around £12 - 13 for a hundred little round lead balls, you'll really be wanting to pour your own....and that is a horse of a different kettle.

2. Set of glass phials for pre-measured charges. Some clubs insist on their use - flask to phial - phial to chamber, NOT direct from flask to chamber.

3. Wad-cutter of a suitable size for calibre - IF you intend to use wads. It's a Marmite thing.

4. Semolina - uncooked, of course - as an over-powder filler to bring the ball level with the chamber mouth. MY favourite load brings my loaded ball level with the chamber mouth, so I don't use it.

5. Babywipes - to clean up between cylinder-loads.

That's about it.

tac

Many thanks for your very comprehensive reply Tac.

It's likely I will be buying 2nd hand, so is it worth just changing the nipples for new ones immediately to be on the safe side?

Many thanks for your very comprehensive reply Tac.

It's likely I will be buying 2nd hand, so is it worth just changing the nipples for new ones immediately to be on the safe side?
    Not necessarily, if those that are on it are in good condition. However, in this country the price of a set of spare nipples is totally over the top by about 400% - one [nameless] company charges £66 for something that costs less than $20 back over.

I'll be making up an order for some ROA nipples soon, so let me know if you want a set for whatever it is that you end up getting. They are all stainless steel, and made by Uncle Mikes of Oregon - I've been using mine for years and my ROA gets shot more than most do.

The most important thing to look for in a second-hand BP revolver is the lock-up, that is, when the pistol is cocked, and how much play there is, if any, on the cylinder. Many hard-used BP handguns either spit bits of cap from worn nipples, leading to the odd chain-fire [exciting stuff - look it up on Youtube], or are out of tune, and shave lead from the lack of alignment between cylinder and forcing cone. That's why I strongly recommend the use of a good set of safety glasses.

Have you ordered your Lyman book yet?

Norman Clark in Rugby has them - treat yourself, it's a great read and totally packed with useful information, too.

tac

No, not yet, but I will get the book come pay day.

Thanks for the offer of nipples (now theres a sentence I never thought I'd type ) but I am way off getting a pistol. I will need to put in for a variation first, and find funds, so it probably wont happen until the Spring. In the meantime I will use the club Pietta.

Thanks again Tac.

Dan

No, not yet, but I will get the book come pay day.

Thanks for the offer of nipples (now theres a sentence I never thought I'd type ) but I am way off getting a pistol. I will need to put in for a variation first, and find funds, so it probably wont happen until the Spring. In the meantime I will use the club Pietta.

Thanks again Tac.

Dan
    Good to hear that you are a member of a gun club where the old fartz and their chelas don't go into apoplectic fits and choke on their pipe-stems when somebody dares to light up anything BP.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Good to hear that you are a member of a gun club where the old fartz and their chelas don't go into apoplectic fits and choke on their pipe-stems when somebody dares to light up anything BP.

tac
    Hey Tac

How is life, love and everything !

I have not posted for a while (you remember I headed to Canada for a couple of years !) and have been lured back on here as Dan (Renegade Master the OP) is a member if our little Club
    Never did make it down to Oregon ..... Would have been cool !

We are the opposite of those 'old fartz' and out of just 20 members we have 8 BP pistol shooters and sadly only 2 BP rifle shooters.

Smoke n noise is GOOD !

On his first try, Dan got the high score at the Clubs Christmas shoot (damn!) and took the Wild Turkey Bourbon ! (Double damn!)

We welcome him to The Dark Side (topical)

Cheers

Roy