Thread: Colt 1851 problem

Colt 1851 problem

May I pick your collective brain please ? One of my club mates has got a Colt BP pistol that won't go on to full cock when the cylinder is in. When he bought it ( secondhand ) it worked okay for 18 shots.
    He has had it all apart and removed any bits of lurking spent caps.
    Any idea if it may be a problem with the hand or cylinder lock bit ?
    Anyone had a similar problem that they have solved?

Many thanks.
    Andrew
    No , you don't need a better guitar. You need some lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by Air Waves View Post
    May I pick your collective brain please ? One of my club mates has got a Colt BP pistol that won't go on to full cock when the cylinder is in. When he bought it ( secondhand ) it worked okay for 18 shots.
    He has had it all apart and removed any bits of lurking spent caps.
    Any idea if it may be a problem with the hand or cylinder lock bit ?
    Anyone had a similar problem that they have solved?

Many thanks.
    Andrew
    More info please
    Does it go on full cock without cylinder in
    Usually when they don't hold on full cock , it's done to trigger sears being worn and need re- honing etc

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    When cocking it, does the cylinder turn? ...even if you "help" it to turn?

When on half cock, is the cylinder free to turn by hand?

When cocking, does the cylinder lock into place at full cock?

If you cock it with the cylinder out, can you see the cylinder bolt and hand operate correctly? Does it hold on full cock? (Bolt should withdraw when approaching half cock, and pop up again when approaching full cock, hand should protrude and rise as passing half cock and approaching full cock)
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Sounds like a spent cap stuck in the action to me, would be the first thing i would look for. Tim

mmm.

I shall ask for more information when I see him next.

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Sounds like a spent cap stuck in the action to me, would be the first thing i would look for. Tim
    Hey, tim56, the OP mentioned in his first post that owner had taken it to pieces and cleaned it out of cappy bits. Since it was bought used, who knows how many shots it had fired? We don't know the make, either - it might just be one of the less-well-made brands like ASM.

To help more we need to know more.

tac

Is the wedge in too far? If I tap mine in with a wood mallet it seems to bring frame and barrel in too far causing them to tighten against the cylinder stopping it from rotating and cocking fully. I now push my wedge in by hand which must affect accuracy and I've no idea if this is the norm.
    Lee Loo Dallas multipass, MUL-TI-PASS!

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Hey, tim56, the OP mentioned in his first post that owner had taken it to pieces and cleaned it out of cappy bits. Since it was bought used, who knows how many shots it had fired? We don't know the make, either - it might just be one of the less-well-made brands like ASM.

To help more we need to know more.

tac
    Very true tac, but after 40years of machine maintenance if theres one thing i do know its one persons "stripped it down" isn't the same as another persons "stripped it down". Had a very similar problem
    with my Rodgers n spencer some years ago, wasn't till i got the trigger out that i found the bit of spent cap stuck in the bolt i think its called that indexes and locks the cylinder. If the gun fired 18 shots
    ok before refusing to play something broke or jammed it up. As you rightly say we need to know more. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Very true tac, but after 40years of machine maintenance if theres one thing i do know its one persons "stripped it down" isn't the same as another persons "stripped it down". Had a very similar problem
    with my Rodgers n spencer some years ago, wasn't till i got the trigger out that i found the bit of spent cap stuck in the bolt i think its called that indexes and locks the cylinder. If the gun fired 18 shots
    ok before refusing to play something broke or jammed it up. As you rightly say we need to know more. Tim
    when i first got my remington 1858 it worked ok in the shop until i got home then noticed it wouldnt hold on full cock.
    people tend to dry fire them without realising they can mushroom the nipples etc.
    took it back and the shop re stoned the sears and its been fine ever since.
    the 1858 does have an issue with spent caps falling into places that tend to stop the cylinder rotating.
    as we said we need more info so we can assist further

Solution

Quote Originally Posted by Air Waves View Post
    I shall ask for more information when I see him next.

Many thanks.
    Why don't you give it to that bloke who knows every thing and is sure he can fix it despite taking it to bits and finding no caps ,wad bit etc in the action.
    PS Anyone called Crispin bloody deserves it .

Thank You.

Thanks for your thoughts, my mate has investigated further , swapped the bolt with a club gun and it worked fine , he has a new bolt and is going to file it to fit...

Many thanks for your thoughts.
    Kind regards.
    Andrew.