Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
The revolving pistol was popular from about 1836 onwards.

I did not know that handguns were fired in competition at Wimbledon - can you please point me at a source of information concerning that element of the shooting sport?

TIA

tac
Why are you asking me? I made no such claim, in fact it is my unsupported opinion that there would be very few revolvers used at Wimbledon (if any), the type being not the chosen weapon of the gentlemen.

I could be wrong on this.

Single pistol would be the favoured gun for duelling, and many a gentleman would show off his skill at targets in order to make potential challengers think twice. Of course such guns would not be rifled (not sporting in duelling old boy). However precision target shooting was also popular (probably as a spin off from duelling practice), using rifled single pistols, with a lubed patch and ball. I would not be surprised to find that there were such competitions at Wimbledon, but have no specific information. It happens that the curator of the NRA museum attends one of the clubs I am a member of, and I will ask him the next chance I get, but don't hold your breath.