Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: webley mk3 vs osprey shooting behaviour

webley mk3 vs osprey shooting behaviour

I have 2 Supertargets, 1 osprey, 1 mk3. Both serviced 'tuned' for short range targetwork. Serviced with 'modern'parts.
    However, I always notice the mk3 has far less recoil, its nothing short of great to shoot. Whilst the osprey has the heavy target stock and you'd think it would be in favour. Its not.
    Any idea how this is caused? Is it the mk3's build? Shorter stroke? Lighter piston???Smaller spring?
    ATB,
    yana

Hi Yana,

I had an Osprey Supertarget and compared to my Mk3 Supertarget rifles I also noticed that it was positively rough to shoot.

The Mk3 is a much nicer Supertarget to shoot but I have not worried too much about the reasons why - I just sold the Osprey and kept the Mk3 Supertargets .

The new owner of the Osprey Supertarget is delighted with it - but has not compared it with a Mk 3 - yet!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Funny, i used to have a standard Osprey in .22 & it had less recoil than the Mk 3, it did have a heavy barrel & was a real pleasure to shoot. Still kick myself for selling it!

I shot both of my Mk 3 Supertarget rifles at the bell target today and refreshed my memory of them.

The experience was better than I remembered it as both had nice crisp triggers that were not too heavy and ringing the bell with them was not difficult to achieve either ( and great fun too ).

The rifles were also a lot quieter than the Osprey Supertarget as well and shot with very little ( hardly noticeable) recoil but had a solid enough punch.

Many Mk 3 Supertarget rifles have been "butchered" by misguided owners who think it needs a big heavy spring adding to give it more power. This only makes the trigger very heavy and puts a lot of strain on the rifle - as well as spoiling the accuracy of the rifle and making it unduly harsh to shoot - I have bought some in the past that were like this and they were not at all nice or accurate to shoot - until put back to original spec. that transformed them back to a really nice target rifle.

A well lubricated Mk 3 Supertarget ( with the correct spring fitted) is a joy to shoot targets with.
    Last edited by zooma; 23-12-2015 at 09:58 PM.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    I'd make a guess at the difference being down to the piston seal configurations. The MkIII has a leather piston washer, making for a less harsh "slam" at the end of the piston stroke. The Osprey has twin, low friction rings and the piston's travel ends in metal to metal contact.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Dont think my mk3 has leather piston seal. It was upgraded with modern stuff (as was the osprey)
    Funny thing too; the osprey is a doddle to cock. You can cock it with yr pinky so to speak. The mk3 is far heavier to cock. And yet much less recoil
    Maybe the osprey has too little preload?
    ATB,
    yana

I'll need to test the two together one of these days, if Josie allows me access to her boxed Osprey Supertarget, which she insists on maintaining in its present impeccable condition.

From memory the Anschutz peep sight iris was very small and I have since sourced a 1mm replacement. Just out of interest, what size apertures do other Osprey Supertarget owners have?

One advantage of the PH17B sighted Mk III Supertargets was the greater choice of iris size, instantly available to suit the prevailing conditions. Just a shame about the Mk III Supertarget triggers

JM

Dont think there will be other size irises around anymore for the PH sights
    My osprey is a militairy, so no anschutz sights
    Shouldnt be a problem to find any parts for anschutz peeps. Iirc, they all fit
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Funny thing too; the osprey is a doddle to cock. You can cock it with yr pinky so to speak. The mk3 is far heavier to cock. And yet much less recoil
    This might not be a spring issue, rather more likely the available leverage from the cocking levers. The Mk3 is a fairly short lever, whereas the Osprey has a reasonably long lever in comparison.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Dont think there will be other size irises around anymore for the PH sights
    The multi aperture eye pieces crop up quite often on e-bay, and PH adjustable irises too, but not as often as the multi hole ones. Not cheap any more due to their collectabillity, but still out there.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    The multi aperture eye pieces crop up quite often on e-bay, and PH adjustable irises too, but not as often as the multi hole ones. Not cheap any more due to their collectabillity, but still out there.
    Thanks all - For those using Anschutz sights, what size apertures are you using?

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Thanks all - For those using Anschutz sights, what size apertures are you using?

John
    For 6 yard shooting on the Air 7 targets I have found 4.0 to work well but bigger could be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    For 6 yard shooting on the Air 7 targets I have found 4.0 to work well but bigger could be even better.
    Hi Bob,

I should have specified rearsight aperture! My Osprey came with an unmarked disc that is tiny - less than 1mm. I was lucky to find a 1mm replacement and was wondering what other Osprey and Mk III Supertargets' Anschutz peepsights originally came with.

I agree with 4.0 for foresights though. I have been practising with a 3.8 and suspect a 4.0 or over may reduce perceived wobble.

I've recently sourced a Milbro G46 Targetmaster, which has been fitted with an after market tunnel foresight that accepts Anschutz elements. Early results are promising. Now see what you've done Bob. You have awakened an interest in post war target classics in me

John

John,

As I am very wobbly, a 4.6 mm front works for me

WRT the rear, it seems that the 'scientifically correct' aperture size is 1.2 mm (with 1.0 --> 1.3 mm being 'acceptable').

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Bob,
    I've recently sourced a Milbro G46 Targetmaster, which has been fitted with an after market tunnel foresight that accepts Anschutz elements. Early results are promising. Now see what you've done Bob. You have awakened an interest in post war target classics in me

John
    I hope this newly awakened interest (disease?) spreads rapidly so we get to see a lot more Classic air rifles (and pistols) entered in the 6 yard MPL postal competition.