Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: webley mk3 vs osprey shooting behaviour

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I hope this newly awakened interest (disease?) spreads rapidly so we get to see a lot more Classic air rifles (and pistols) entered in the 6 yard MPL postal competition.
    Me too Bob. It's a great excuse to use an old classic for its original intended purpose.

John

Bob, John,

Happy New Year

I have got a bad case of the disease

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Bob, John,

Happy New Year

I have got a bad case of the disease

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ
    Happy New Year to you too Russ.

Good luck in the MPL

John

Regarding the different characteristics between the MK III and Osprey S/Tgt's. Firstly the MK III has a much bigger main spring and shorter cocking lever than the Osprey so it seems right that the cocking effort is harder on the MK III. The shot / feel difference is more difficult to be sure about; The MK III does have a leather piston seal and the Osprey has twin low friction rings, and they are set back from the piston face, so you do indeed get a metal to metal contact, which in my opinion would give a harsher feel, however the Osprey S/Tgt should have a much longer but 'weaker' mainspring than normal and the piston head is counter bored to reduce the compression ratio, so it should be more 'comfortable' to shoot than a std Osprey, so the differences between a MKIII and an Osprey should not be that great. However if you mod the Osprey piston and fit a leather set then there is an amazing difference [or at least there was on the ones I modified].
    Regarding rear sight eye pieces, I have just done some checking on an assortment of makes and found some are marked at 1.1; my assortment of Anshutz ones are all unmarked but checking them shows 1.0mm as the smallest and 1.15 as the largest, none would accept a 1.2 gauge.
    Regarding front sight element sizes, everyone has their own theory and preferences and who is to say what is right, there are so many variants to consider; however I was told many years ago that a rule of thumb is to put a square outline around the aiming mark; take the diagonal of this and this is your minimum element diameter [trigonometrically scaled down of course] and you should be able to keep the aiming mark in this circle; but then eyesight and age usually means you need to increase this accordingly, in the 70's I shot Bell easily and proficiently to a good standard with a 2.8 front element; now at 70 I use a 3.5 or sometimes a 4.0 and now shoot poorly in comparison to before.
    May this be of more help than confusion.
    ATVB and Happy New year to All.
    abellringer

Quote Originally Posted by abellringer View Post
    Regarding the different characteristics between the MK III and Osprey S/Tgt's. Firstly the MK III has a much bigger main spring and shorter cocking lever than the Osprey so it seems right that the cocking effort is harder on the MK III. The shot / feel difference is more difficult to be sure about; The MK III does have a leather piston seal and the Osprey has twin low friction rings, and they are set back from the piston face, so you do indeed get a metal to metal contact, which in my opinion would give a harsher feel, however the Osprey S/Tgt should have a much longer but 'weaker' mainspring than normal and the piston head is counter bored to reduce the compression ratio, so it should be more 'comfortable' to shoot than a std Osprey, so the differences between a MKIII and an Osprey should not be that great. However if you mod the Osprey piston and fit a leather set then there is an amazing difference [or at least there was on the ones I modified].

ATVB and Happy New year to All.
    abellringer
    Very interesting that Webley reduced the compression ratio on the Osprey Supertarget that way, I had read that they modified their guns that way for the German market.

I never found the copper impregnated PTFE Hawk/Osprey piston rings gave a very good seal, fitting O rings helped the firing cycle but I found machining the piston head to accept a 25mm Weihrauch seal to be the best fix when coupled with a reduced ID transfer port.

I can imagine your leather seal conversion giving a very nice firing cycle.

Happy new year

All the best Mick

Yes, a leather seal dóes give nicer shooting behaviour than rings or PFTE seal. But not sure my mk3 still has leather.
    I asked Steve Pope what he thought. He also mentioned the leather seal difference, but also stated the mk3's probably have better tapload seal. They're better built overall.

About that compression ratio; you mean there's a hole in the piston to lower compression? All-through or just a cut-out?
    ATB,
    yana

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Slightly off thread here, but by accident, I tried a Diana 25 mainspring in a Webley Falcon, which uses the same mainspring as the Hawks and Osprey. It made the gun very easy to cock and a pleasure to plink with. I could not find the details of a Diana 25 spring here http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ng-data-thread
    But suspect it would be ok to use in an Osprey, especially with a guide fitted.

Drilling and tapping the head of an Osprey piston, rather than machining the thickness of the washer off and then fitting one, would give a shorter stroke and would reduce power and recoil but still be ok for paper punching I guess.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

This is a photo of the Osprey S/Tgt. piston; counter bored as per my earlier post. The counter bore is 1/2" dia. X 0.200" deep; the angle at the point seems to be a std. 120 degree drill point. Hope this is of help.
    ATVB
    abellringer
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nfy1qyjca...6.JPG?dl=0nger