Thread: BP Reveolver Misfire

BP Reveolver Misfire

BP revolver capped and loaded. First shot OK. Second Shot OK. Third shot fails to fire. What safe method should be applied to a misfire in say a Ruger Old Army. How do you teach the correct method for a misfire. This is not a trick question.
    Sorry about the miss spell would not allow me to correct.
    Anschutz 1913. .22lr - Big Nikko. TX200.177 Mk3 Ultimate
    Taurus 357 LBR. Taurus .22 LBR BSA .22 RF Martini International Mk3.
    Marlin 357 original JM.

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

I'm assuming that the cap fired

Keep the revolver pointing downrange for at least 40 seconds. Clear the other chambers by firing them and then put another cap on and try again. If it still doesn't work, wait again before removing the nipple from the unfired chamber and let the powder run out.

Tap out the bullet out from the rear, being careful not to damage the threads.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Quote Originally Posted by lilguy43uk View Post
    Keep the revolver pointing downrange for at least 40 seconds. Clear the other chambers by firing them and then put another cap on and try again. If it still doesn't work, wait again before removing the nipple from the unfired chamber and let the powder run out.

Before removing the nipple, it might be worth poking through it with a wire - or even a suitable-size drill in a pin vice - and try a third cap?
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Keep the revolver pointing downrange for at least 40 seconds. Clear the other chambers by firing them and then keeping the revolver pointing down the range and horizontal to the ground put another cap on and try again. If it still doesn't work, wait again, and then, with the revolver still pointing down the range remove the nipple from the unfired chamber and let the powder run out.

Tap out the bullet out from the rear, being careful not to damage the threads.[/QUOTE]

tac

Quote Originally Posted by lilguy43uk View Post

I would try firing the same cap again (after 40 seconds) some times I have had this, the first hit knocks the cap on the second hit fires it, this happens if I have bought the wrong caps/some one has given me some that's the wrong size, a friend had a revolver with on nipple fractionally bigger than the other 5, so 5 would go off first time the last required 2 hits to set it off.
    I bought a nipple primer for the times when a charge has failed to go off (usaly in some one else's gun) it has helped to get the ball out of the barrel without having to resort to the ball puller and the grief it involves (and in my case removing the oats filler/wad which when compressed between the ball and powder sets like concrete) the nipple primer fills the nipple with fine powder so when the cap goes off it hits powder right away and provides a bigger and hotter flame to set the charge off.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Thanks chaps for all the advice. It is amazing when you get older how much you forget. I did shoot BP from 2008 till 2011 since reading your replies my training started to return. Hoping this time I can hit the target LOL.
    Marlin 357 original JM.

I would put the misfire down to three causes, blocked nipple, no powder in the chamber, damp powder from oil left in the chamber.

After trying 2-3 caps I would remove the nipple and check that it is not blocked,and,at the same time, I would check for powder in the chamber. If the nipple is clear then I would get as much powder out as possible, and trickle some new powder into the chamber,(or put some in), and try again. It will only take a small amount of powder to blow the ball out.

If you shoot BP regularly from a gun that is fitted with removable nipples, it is worth investing in the CO2 bullet removers-( they are either a tight friction fit or a screw fit dependant on make). One CO2 cartridge later and barrel/ chamber clear, no fuss!
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson
    N.S.R.A. RCO, Club Instructor, Club Coach.

After a clean and a period of non use I always cap off before loading, ie load 6 caps and fire those off before proper loading to make sure all is clear, doesn't anyone else do this.

Quote Originally Posted by lasbrisas View Post
    After a clean and a period of non use I always cap off before loading, ie load 6 caps and fire those off before proper loading to make sure all is clear, doesn't anyone else do this.

As my training starts to return. I was taught that before any BO revolver shooting one should always cap off before loading.
    Marlin 357 original JM.