Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Webley Service rifle stock on a certain auction site

who is it

If this chap jay-tee or AB is as bad as you all say he is, and i have no reason to doubt you, can we all know who he is?
    If the answer be NO ! you can pm me and my lips will be sealed.
    eric

Same prat has got a webley mk1 on gunstar.

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/webley-webl...ir-Guns/798263

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post

Thank you for that, i dont buy guns any more, but have encountered a few, auctioneers, collectors and traders in the past and ive been racking my tired old brain trying to think of the name to go with the initials you quoted (A.B.)
    I could only think of Andrew Bottomley and he is not in the right area so i was confident it was not him, i couldnt see it being him anyhow.
    Now you have pointed me in the right direction Guy, i cant say i know him but its always good to know who is who.
    Thanks again.
    Eric

Clarity

OK, it seems there has been some confusion as to a certain person called bilas that has stuff on bay and attends the M M fair. I can confirm that this person is NOT a member at M M and is NOT associated with them in any way. On the last occasion that I had a table at the fair, he cheated his way in early and over bartered, abusing the good nature of the members that had kindly put in a lot of effort to benefit us in particular and the sport in general....

I could not make the last event, but was told he was up to the same stunt
    Last edited by Binners; 02-01-2016 at 10:33 AM.

melbourne

Sadly i cannot make melbourne, but from what i can gather, its a fair organised by collectors for collectors and not really a commercial affair as are other arms fairs, a bit more of a collective and personal affair?
    It seems a bit underhand for a trader to be going round before opening time trying to snap up bargains, especially when he has no connection with the melbourne guys, there will always be "mates rates" and deals done beforehand between friends and thats only natural, and im sure anything that any of the melbourne guys wanted from one another would have been done before the day. I can see from your notes binners why it would upset you and others.
    Eric
    Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    OK, it seems there has been some confusion as to a certain person called bilas that has stuff on bay and attends the M M fair. I can confirm that this person is NOT a member at M M and is NOT associated with them in any way. On the last occasion that I had a table at the fair, he cheated his way in early and over bartered, abusing the good nature of the members that had kindly put in a lot of effort to benefit us in particular and the sport in general....

After receiving a brief phone caIl I agreed a deal with a certain Alpha Bravo.

That was over four years ago.

Let's just say, it won't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post

On this occasion he was sharing a stall with a trader (non rfd) that I have seen stalled out at the arms fairs in Bedford and Birmingham he is a regular at these so not quite sure how he gets away with blatant dealing with no RFD???

This is him, and marked 'private'

He dreams of being Trade but watches too many antiques roadshows

The good Gentlemen of Melbourne would not give him the time of day normally and I would not be surprised if he was not encouraged to return....

dealing or selling?

On this occasion he was sharing a stall with a trader (non rfd) that I have seen stalled out at the arms fairs in Bedford and Birmingham he is a regular at these so not quite sure how he gets away with blatant dealing with no RFD???
    This is a bit of a grey area is it not? or to be more accurate it is treated as a grey area ! If someone is selling a private and legal collection, no matter how large they are legally entitled to sell without having an RFD in place. I say legal assuming there are no Fac rated airguns or any non section 58 arms. The problem arises when the police become aware a large collection is being sold and they decide to make a issue of the fact and then its a case of proving your only disposing of guns and not trading, ive then heard of them insisting on an rfd.
    Isnt there someone on here who had to get an rfd to sell guns? maybe he could enlighten us or maybe correct me if im wrong?
    eric

Quote Originally Posted by shabee View Post
    This is a bit of a grey area is it not? or to be more accurate it is treated as a grey area ! If someone is selling a private and legal collection, no matter how large they are legally entitled to sell without having an RFD in place. I say legal assuming there are no Fac rated airguns or any non section 58 arms. The problem arises when the police become aware a large collection is being sold and they decide to make a issue of the fact and then its a case of proving your only disposing of guns and not trading, ive then heard of them insisting on an rfd.
    Isnt there someone on here who had to get an rfd to sell guns? maybe he could enlighten us or maybe correct me if im wrong?
    eric

I, also am not sure of police requirements, but when I had a table ( on 2 MM fairs) I offered at least 15 of my collection for sale, I also bought around 6 to take home. This would have been my third year, had I been around.

I would not count myself as trade, but like you say, a grey area....

Quote Originally Posted by shabee View Post
    eric
    I think selling off and adding to a personal collection is collecting by definition but if one actively and constantly buys with the purpose of immediately selling on at a profit, then that's dealing, is it not?

JM

i buy for my own collection and a lot from the net and auctions .if its no up to scratch or i get board i sell it on as i don’t want it,I hope to get my money back, i wont attend the fairs as to many dealers get in early so most good stuff has gone and ends up on the net the next day

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I think selling off and adding to a personal collection is collecting by definition but if one actively and constantly buys with the purpose of immediately selling on at a profit, then that's dealing, is it not?

JM
    Good afternoon John,The individual I referred to earlier is currently advertising an American Co2 pistol online.

Cursory research shows this particular model to be capable of over 500fps in .22.

Under current UK firearm legislation could this gun be defined as section5?.

I'm intrigued .

Quote Originally Posted by piggy589 View Post
    Good afternoon John,The individual I referred to earlier is currently advertising an American Co2 pistol online.

Cursory research shows this particular model to be capable of over 500fps in .22.

Under current UK firearm legislation could this gun be defined as section5?.

I'm intrigued .
    Way too risky to buy IMHO. I'd hate to see it put to the test, so to speak.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post

JM
    John im sure your right, but this is where it gets grey? where is the line in the sand? How do you prove someone is dealing or collecting when their in/out flow of guns appears borderline? what is borderline to you and me may be acceptable to the next man, what are the numbers involved? there simply arent any, i think a lot of the onus is on the individual to do the right thing.
    There was someone on here who went down the RFD route last year or the year before, it would be interesting to hear his view and/or understanding of the law.
    eric