Thread: Sierra 50gn Blitzkings

Sierra 50gn Blitzkings

Managed to get out yesterday for what must have been the first time in a month. Pretty windy which was a shame.

Tested out some 50gn Blitzkings with some half decent results. Around 1" at 135 yards with 23.5gn and 24.5gn of Viht 133 proving to be the best charges. Just need a fine day for some further refinement and play with the bullet seating depth.

Hope you've all managed to get out a bit more than I have!

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

Not really. I had a day playing with rimfires last week, got home and got my rifles cleaned down and put away, then got a phone call from the same landowner to say a couple of Muntjack he wanted cleared up were giving his winter Barley some stick so back I went.

Apart from that it's mostly been raining here. Not as much as in your part of the world though.

Great result on the SBK's, satisfying when it all comes together isn't it?
    Good deals: longy0710, Antonov, hairlesshunter, Gnome of the Woods, pinguisgod, zx10mike, matt007, Sir slots alot.

Good work Elliot, I'm watching and reading your posts with great interest as I am currently loading for a .223 and also using viht 133.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    Managed to get out yesterday for what must have been the first time in a month. Pretty windy which was a shame.

Tested out some 50gn Blitzkings with some half decent results. Around 1" at 135 yards with 23.5gn and 24.5gn of Viht 133 proving to be the best charges. Just need a fine day for some further refinement and play with the bullet seating depth.

when i had a t3 in 223 it seemed happy with bullets set to just fit the mag.....i was useing 55 vmax tho

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post

Sounds promising, I've not had much time to load or shoot recently though have the .308 shooting 3/4 moa and the .223 the same or sometimes better with the 69gr SMK over N140, this load was good enough for me to head shoot a bunny at 168 yards off of sticks (substantial backstop as the results showed these really dont expand) whilst walking the dog this week which I was pretty pleased with.

The 69 gr TMKs are proving more illusive though, initial results were good 1/2 moa for 3-4 groups when testing then made up a batch and groups were double that. Planning on starting again with TAC as I want to save the N140 for the .308.

Good luck progressing the load mate, happy new year.
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by grim_reaper View Post
    Not really. I had a day playing with rimfires last week, got home and got my rifles cleaned down and put away, then got a phone call from the same landowner to say a couple of Muntjack he wanted cleared up were giving his winter Barley some stick so back I went.

Apart from that it's mostly been raining here. Not as much as in your part of the world though.

Great result on the SBK's, satisfying when it all comes together isn't it?
    Wish we had Muntjac around these parts, I bet they're pretty tasty! I've been meaning to get out with the 22LR for a while now but it's just too wet. Our house has been flooded five times in three months!

Quote Originally Posted by big rich View Post
    Good work Elliot, I'm watching and reading your posts with great interest as I am currently loading for a .223 and also using viht 133.

Rich

Hi Rich, I'm finding the Sierra 52gr HPBT to be about the best at the moment but I think the Sierra 50go Blitzkings are showing good promise. I was keen to have a ballistic tipped round that performed equally well.

Vhit seems to be a decent powder but haven't tried another others. Might just stick with it for the moment rather than cocking up everything I've done so far!

Quote Originally Posted by philong View Post
    when i had a t3 in 223 it seemed happy with bullets set to just fit the mag.....i was useing 55 vmax tho
    Yes I think playing with seating depths is the next thing I'll look at. I modified a brass case to accept some dowel so that I can push a bullet into the lands to measure when it touches. I'll be checking the 50gn Blitzkings next at their preferred powder weights

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Sounds promising, I've not had much time to load or shoot recently though have the .308 shooting 3/4 moa and the .223 the same or sometimes better with the 69gr SMK over N140, this load was good enough for me to head shoot a bunny at 168 yards off of sticks (substantial backstop as the results showed these really dont expand) whilst walking the dog this week which I was pretty pleased with.

The 69 gr TMKs are proving more illusive though, initial results were good 1/2 moa for 3-4 groups when testing then made up a batch and groups were double that. Planning on starting again with TAC as I want to save the N140 for the .308.

Good luck progressing the load mate, happy new year.
    Sounds like good fun. Time seems to be in shortage at the moment, I barely have any time to myself at the moment! Still on the lookout for a CZ 22 Hornet to replace the HMR and serve a mid-range foxing rig. I've also been looking at the Lyman Gen6 powder charge dispenser!

Just get a decent beam scale or switch to a powder that throws well like the ramshot powders, much cheaper!

Hornet is becoming rather popular with the current drop in popularity of the HMR, will let you know if I spot anything though.
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Just get a decent beam scale or switch to a powder that throws well like the ramshot powders, much cheaper!

Hornet is becoming rather popular with the current drop in popularity of the HMR, will let you know if I spot anything though.
    I've got my heart set on the Lyman and a Hornet at the moment

Popped out again yesterday and, frustratingly, it was still quite windy but I positioned myself as best I could with the wind at 6 o'clock-ish.

Best group turned out to be with the COAL set to 2.280 which is the longest COAL that I've tried so far. I'll get another batch loaded up in preparation for another calm day. I think its touching the lands at just over 2.300.

Might load upto 2.285 which I think is the max mag length and see how I get on

what are you using the BKs on?

I just switched to 40gr Bk in my .222 as I couldnt get the AMax to work in this rifle
    shot a fox with them the other night and they are much more messy than AMax and VMax (well on this one shot I have experience of)

blew a massive hole out the side of its neck shoulder on a front on bib shot
    would have expected less exit with something so frangible

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsh View Post

I just switched to 40gr Bk in my .222 as I couldnt get the AMax to work in this rifle
    shot a fox with them the other night and they are much more messy than AMax and VMax (well on this one shot I have experience of)

Same effect 70gr BK's have, very devastating bullets.
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsh View Post

Just targets at the moment but when I've settled on a load they'll be used for fox and long range crows, magpies and rabbits