Thread: Vectan SP7 in the .22 Hornet

Vectan SP7 in the .22 Hornet

The Vectan reloading book indicates SP7 suitable for Hornet but no data is provided. Anyone have any reloading data please. I have used SP7 successfully in all 30 cals, but not tried it in the Hornet.

amc577

Far too Slow. You need about 130% fill for a 40 grain.

Vectan SP7 for the Hornet

Yes, I would have thought far too slow for the Hornet.....but... SP7 downloads to 17 gns with cast in the 30/30 (Richard Lee reloading manual) and is accurate! The powder is some of the finest grain I have seen...minute flattened discs. It is a bit annoying when the manufacturer recommends it for a particular calibre but fails to provide a load. I have checked a fill/weigh and you could get 13 gns behind a 45gn bullet....
    Don't think I will bother with the Hornet.

amc577

I have used SP3 in the Hornet but not SP7 it's more of a bigger bore powder.

Quote Originally Posted by acmsarh View Post
    I have used SP3 in the Hornet but not SP7 it's more of a bigger bore powder.
    Me to I have used sp3 in my hornet I use 10grns of powder behind a 35grn v-max

Check this comparison chart:

http://www.lapua.com/upload/reloadin...echart2011.pdf

It's way too slow. For Hornet it needs to be much faster, up closer towards the 'lil gun' zone.

SP7 in Hornet

I can only assume that the entry in the Vectan manual is a printing error. The burn rate is shown with wide variation in various published tables. The Lee reloading data is the only data which shows 30/30
    starting at 16 gns under a 170 gn cast bullet. I have used this powder with 17 gns in 30/30.It is accurate with no ignition problems. This is a very fine flattened disc powder so presumably burns evenly and well.
    I will not try it in the Hornet. It also shot well with cast and 22/24 gns in the 308. Also used at 34/36 gns with the 7.5x55 under fmj at Bisley...Not widely available I would think.

amc577