Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Results 2016 Spring Summer Series MPL Competition

More feb scores recorded - well done all

Lots of feb rifle scores added.

Geo

I thought it about time I posted the overall standings for Jan and Feb so you can easily see how you are placed. I find it pleasing that there are very few instances of lower scores on the second round signifying a move to higher scores and competitors competing against themselves and their last score trying to do the best they can. I know of some that have been practicing a lot too!! That's how I became hooked.

Enjoy the brighter weather

George

Quote Originally Posted by thirdwheel View Post
    I thought it about time I posted the overall standings for Jan and Feb so you can easily see how you are placed. I find it pleasing that there are very few instances of lower scores on the second round signifying a move to higher scores and competitors competing against themselves and their last score trying to do the best they can. I know of some that have been practicing a lot too!! That's how I became hooked.

Enjoy the brighter weather

George
    Thanks for producing the stats George. It's fun shooting on NSRA cards again after a break of some 10 years or so. I must admit, I get a lot more pleasure shooting an early Webley in the series than the SAM K11 match pistol I used competitively a decade and longer ago. As good as the SAM was, its near dead firing cycle felt somewhat soulless compared to a recoiling classic. I could never love that pistol like I do old Webleys as to me, it was a tool rather than something to be admired. Not sure if this would make sense to a modern match shooter who places scores above pride of ownership but classic shooters among you hopefully know where I'm coming from.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Thanks for producing the stats George. It's fun shooting on NSRA cards again after a break of some 10 years or so. I must admit, I get a lot more pleasure shooting an early Webley in the series than the SAM K11 match pistol I used competitively a decade and longer ago. As good as the SAM was, its near dead firing cycle felt somewhat soulless compared to a recoiling classic. I could never love that pistol like I do old Webleys as to me, it was a tool rather than something to be admired. Not sure if this would make sense to a modern match shooter who places scores above pride of ownership but classic shooters among you hopefully know where I'm coming from.

John
    I know exactly where you are coming from John - and your feelings are shared with many of us whose enjoyment of using and owning airguns is greater than the need to place holes precisely in a target with every single shot - even when competing in the MPL and other much more serious competitions.

Having said that is also quite nice to shoot a decent card now and again (of course) but for me the value of the target score is always considered against the airgun used to achieve it.

A fairly low score with an air pistol or rifle that has a few problems due to age or wear (or both), that perhaps also has a stiff and heavy trigger, or is of a type simply not noted for its match shooting ability gives me far more pleasure and a greater sense of achievement than a much better score shot with a purpose built match weapon that probably took less effort to achieve.

At the end of the day it's whatever "floats your boat" and with airgun shooting there is plenty of room for all of us to get something out of it.
    Last edited by zooma; 07-03-2016 at 02:39 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    I know exactly where you are coming from John - and your feelings are shared with may of us whose enjoyment of using and owning airguns is greater than the need to place holes precisely in a target with every single shot - even when competing in the MPL and other much more serious competitions.

It is also quite nice to shoot a decent card now and again (of course) but for me the value of the target score is always considered against the airgun used to achieve it.

A fairly low score with an air pistol or rifle that has a few problems due to age or wear (or both), that perhaps also has a stiff and heavy trigger, or is of a type simply not noted for its match shooting ability would give me far more pleasure and a greater sense of achievement than a much better score shot with a purpose built match weapon that probably took less effort to achieve.

At the end of the day it's whatever "floats your boat" and with airgun shooting there is plenty of room for all of us to get something out of it.
    That is an excellent way of putting it Bob. I tend to adapt my technique to accommodate something that would be considered a shortcoming today, such as a comparatively heavy trigger and before long, muscle memory takes over and trigger technique becomes consistent and comfortable.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Scores updated

Geo

Quote Originally Posted by thirdwheel View Post
    Scores updated

Geo
    Thanks George,

I almost completed another rifle round on Saturday but I had been out all day and started late (after 10 pm) and I also wanted to set up my 601 to shoot at 6 yards.

I was using different heights of pillars in the front riser bock to bring the rear sight back into adjustment range and by the time I had done this it was getting very late but I knew I would not be around on Sunday and wanted to complete another round if I could.

Eventually I got everything set up and working well and shot 3 cards but it was well past midnight by then so I abandoned it but will try to pick-up were I left off tonight and get another round completed.

It is quite addictive this shooting from home lark - it can even cause you to miss "Match of the Day" - as I found out

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    "Match of the Day"?

I didn't know they showed the shooting World Cups on TV?

Or were you talking about the alleged sport where strange life forms kick a leather bag of air about?

Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Football is indeed the sport to which I refer and I understand you have a local team of your own in Norwich that you could go and see "live" - although some would argue that there is not too much life in them at the moment

No nasty leather balls anymore - far too dirty and heavy for our current crop of over-paid football celebrities

Up to Date - at least for now!

Finally - I completed my February rifle competition cards last night so I am now up to date with both the rifle and the pistol competitions - at least for now!

I have not shot any March cards yet so I still need to "get on with it' - but for me it makes a change to be at least up to date, even if that may only be for a few days as we get ever closer to the end of this month with every passing day!

My biggest problem is that I like to play with as many options as I can find, and that takes a lot more time than being sensible and using the same rifle or pistol every month.

Setting up a different rifle to shoot at 6 yards can take more time than actually shooting the targets for the month if a rifle has riser blocks fitted.

For February's competition I decided to have a play with an FWB 601 with riser blocks, but the rear sight ran out of adjustment when the shots were still underneath the black spot so I modified the front riser block to regain some adjustment on the rear sight and now it has plenty of adjustment in both directions when centered on the black bit. Very satisfying - but time consuming!

This was a lot of work just to shoot 6 cards but I enjoyed finding a solution - even if the rifle now has the front riser block put back as it was so it can be used at 10 meters again!

I thought I would shoot an FWB 300SU ( this has riser blocks as standard) next time and noticed that it would not adjust down to shoot at 6 yards either! The problem with the SU is that the high front sight casting is a one piece unit that is clamped to the barrel, so any adjustment to regain enough rear sight adjustment would have to be made by making a slightly taller rear riser block - so here comes the next project !

Rifle's without riser blocks seem to adjust down to shoot at 6 yards quite easily, but those with riser blocks often don't adjust down to the shorter distance quite so readily.

I enjoy shooting the more classic air rifles and again this has often led to a search to find or adapt a suitable rear dioptre to fit the rifle, and many of the used springers I have collected over the years have had the power increased by previous owners who fit more powerful springs than the rifle was intended to work with - and this often destroys the accuracy needed for good target shooting - so then I go down the route of changing the spring to make it nicer to shoot at 6 yards.....

Maybe I just enjoy messing about with classic air rifles!
    Last edited by zooma; 15-03-2016 at 12:14 PM.

Football is indeed the sport to which I refer and I understand you have a local team of your own in Norwich that you could go and see "live" - although some would argue that there is not too much life in them at the moment

No nasty leather balls anymore - far too dirty and heavy for our current crop of over-paid football celebrities
    Go to a football match!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!! Its bad enough having them play close to our club, sometimes midweek on our club night, when they do we have to cancel the club night as no one can get in or park! Can you imagine if our sport caused that much disruption!

I think you just enjoy messing about with ANY air rifle, or air pistol!

Have fun
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post

I think you just enjoy messing about with ANY air rifle, or air pistol!

Have fun
    Robin
    This is true - and with thanks to you and your expert guidance, setting up Walther and Feinwerkbau match triggers is something else I now also enjoy doing!

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Go to a football match!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!! Its bad enough having them play close to our club, sometimes midweek on our club night, when they do we have to cancel the club night as no one can get in or park! Can you imagine if our sport caused that much disruption.

Have fun
    Robin
    It could be that your local team (Norwich) and my local team (Burnley) will be swapping places in the leagues if they both keep their current performances going the way they are!!

It could be that your local team (Norwich) and my local team (Burnley) will be swapping places in the leagues if they both keep their current performances going the way they are!!
    It would not bother me if Norwich City Football club swapped placees with Guantanamo Bay facility!!