Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to put on variation form?

Renegade Master is offline They mostly come at night, mostly

What to put on variation form?

Hi Guys,

I have decided to go ahead and out in a variation for a blackpowder revolver (.44). I have an open slot on my ticket for a .44 Lever Action Rifle so I'm going to ask for that to be swapped for a BP pistol, which I believe should be a free swap.

However, I'm not sure what to put on the form 202. Should I ask for a .44 blackpowder revolver, or a .44 blackpowder muzzle loading pistol? I'm a little concerned that a revolver isn't muzzle loading.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan

Muzzle loading Revolver or Pistol.
    Revolvers that are loaded from the front of the cylinder ARE considered Muzzle-loading.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    A BP revolver is a muzzle loader, but don't ask for a "BP revolver" - this would preclude the use of BP substitutes - ask for a "Muzzle loading revolver" in the calibre of your choice.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Also consider that if you want a Ruger Old Army you will need a slot for a .45. To cover yourself request a slot for a .45 and a slot for a .44.
    Some people will say that a slot names as a .45/.44 will do. I have been advised by a RFD that this is not the case. You need separate slots.
    Seems over the top to me but I just went with the flow and have ended up with two Ruger Old Armies. Would you like one.
    Anschutz 1913. .22lr - Big Nikko. TX200.177 Mk3 Ultimate
    Taurus 357 LBR. Taurus .22 LBR BSA .22 RF Martini International Mk3.
    Marlin 357 original JM.

I also have two ROA revolvers, one is on my ticket as .45 the other is .44/45. When i applied for the 44/45 slot i sent a letter explaining
    the reason and i had no problems. Tim
    ps, the way i understand it, if you have a slot for a pistol you can buy a pistol or a revolver but if you have a slot for a revolver you can
    only buy a revolver. Don't take that as gospel though as its a few years since i got mine and different authorities will have their own rule
    I'm sure.
    pps, just had a look at my ticket and my 44/45 ROA is down as a pistol.
    Last edited by tim56; 09-01-2016 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac42 View Post
    Also consider that if you want a Ruger Old Army you will need a slot for a .45. To cover yourself request a slot for a .45 and a slot for a .44.
    Some people will say that a slot names as a .45/.44 will do. I have been advised by a RFD that this is not the case. You need separate slots.
    Seems over the top to me but I just went with the flow and have ended up with two Ruger Old Armies. Would you like one.
    The confusion about what calibre the Ruger Old Army actually is stems from the fact that the so-called expert advisers to the various firearms licensing departments were confused, poor souls, about the difference between the declared calibre [.44cal] and the ball diameter [.457cal].

Mine, made in 1986, is a .44cal - later versions, in deference to the relatively HUGE UK market for this handgun, were marked as .45cal.

Of course, ALL .44cal BP handguns are at least .451" - the 'hole' is .44" and the grooves are bigger, or else they wouldn't be called grooves.

tac

Thanks for all the advice guys. I would like a ROA, but unfortunately funds won't allow that at the moment. Will probably get a 2nd hand Pietta or Uberti for now and upgrade to a Ruger when I'm in a better financial position.

Please note this is only my opinion, but. You get what you pay for. Yes you can get a second hand Pietta for less money than a worn out .22 rifle but
    in my humble opinion and sad to say, i have often regretted my cheap buys but never regretted my more thought out buys. Yes a ROA is dearer to buy
    but it will always be a Ruger and if you buy right it you will never wear it out. Uberti also make a great revolver as do Euroarms in the Rogers and Spencer.
    Best advice would be as always get yourself to a club that shoots black powder pistols/revolvers and try a few different ones to see which suits you in size
    and feel. My advice would be;
    1; try a few different models.
    2; get the advice of people you know who actually use them.
    3; take someone with you who knows about b/p revolvers to buy. Some people are not beyond selling a worn out pieces of shit to someone who doesn't
    know better.
    4; be warned, it can become addictive. Tim

There's a lot of sound advice been posted so far but just to add my 2 pence worth, I would look for a Pietta Competition, either blued or stainless, they are a lot of gun for the money, accurate, parts readily(ish) available and provided that they haven't been drastically modified they are cleared for most competitions in the UK should you ever want to shoot one.
    As has been stated, it's good if you can get the chance to handle and/or shoot as many different guns as possible, it's not easy to change your mind once your ticket has been varied.
    And yes, it's definitely addictive!!

Note that many of these pistols, mainly those based closely on original pistols, have VERY small grips, especially the Colts. The Rogers & Spencer pistol has a somewhat larger grip, but is still small by modern-day standards. The ROA can be fitted with Hogue or Pachmayr grips to make them better, but the others cannot - there are no after-market grips for the Remington NMA.

Also, please note that if you shoot under the auspices of the Muzzleloading Association of GB you will not be permitted to shoot your revolver in competition if it is fitted with modern-style adjustable sights.

tac

I glued extensions to the grip of my .44 roger and spencer
    http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3848c8be.jpg
    http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...ps14848554.jpg
    The grips can still be removed and the extensions are just glued on with wood glue
    The grips are still 2 pice
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

I must admit I did find that the Pietta I shot had small grips (although I still managed to shoot it well). However, whatever I end up getting I plan on making some custom grips, so if I do end up with a Pietta or Uberti I will just make them slightly longer.

OK, possibly a stupid question, but I take it I don't need to put anything in the ammunition section of the form, as the pistol doesn't use conventional bullets? I assume as long as I have a blackpowder pistil on my ticket I will be able to buy the components?