Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to put on variation form?

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Master View Post
    OK, possibly a stupid question, but I take it I don't need to put anything in the ammunition section of the form, as the pistol doesn't use conventional bullets? I assume as long as I have a blackpowder pistil on my ticket I will be able to buy the components?
    You'll need an explosive licence to buy the Blackpowder unless you use one of the substitutes.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Renegade Master is offline They mostly come at night, mostly

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    You'll need an explosive licence to buy the Blackpowder unless you use one of the substitutes.
    Correct, as well as an approved safety container.

With regard to subs, remember that any of the subs are generally MORE corrosive than basic BP. Clean the pistol as soon as possible after shooting - best on the bench as you stop shooting for the day. Babywipes are a good idea - use them after every cylinder-load to keep most of the glurn off. If you have access to denatured alcohol or cheap vodka, use it to swab out the barrel every couple of dozen shots, too.

Subs are also more energetic than an equal volume of the same grade of BP - that Pyrodex P [for pistol] loads less than an equal volume of black powder, and Triple 7 even less. That is to say, a 30gr load of 3Fg BP = 27gr of Pyrodex P and 25gr of Triple 7. YMMV. Both Pyrodex P and Triple 7 are about the same physical granulation as 3Fg BP. Pyrodex smells a little like BP, but Triple 7 smells like a fire at a beet processing facility.

In any case, unless the OP is going to shoot something really strange, the projectile IS an ordinary bullet - ball or conical. What is is NOT is a metallic cartridge of any kind. As he gets into shooting his new pistol, he might give some consideration to making paper cartridges using cigarette papers - much like the originals did back in the day. Instructions on how to do it from Baláscz Németh on Youtube - capandball - and others.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 13-01-2016 at 09:10 PM.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    I was planning on using a substitute.
    If you plan to use substitutes, why are you describing it as a BLACKPOWDER gun ....it is a Muzzle loading gun.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    If you plan to use substitutes, why are you describing it as a BLACKPOWDER gun ....it is a Muzzle loading gun.
    It's because most F&ELD refer to muzzle-loading firearms as black powder firearms - whether or not you use BP or a sub. When they were invented there was ONLY BP, so the descriptive name has stuck.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    It's because most F&ELD refer to muzzle-loading firearms as black powder firearms - whether or not you use BP or a sub. When they were invented there was ONLY BP, so the descriptive name has stuck.

tac
    That is exactly my experience too. Since 1997 I have had Blackpowder guns of various descriptions on my FAC. At the last renewal my FEO pointed out that this was incorrect and they should correctly be described as Muzzle loaders, and made the appropriate changes. This to comply both with the descriptions in firearms law AND (where applicable) to conform to the wording on the HO approval for shooting clubs. He is quite correct. Note also that it is also entirely possible to hold blackpowder guns which are NOT muzzle loaders (cartridge guns proofed only for BP loads).
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Thanks again for all the advice guys. Sorry if I got the terminology wrong, I am very new to blackpowder/muzzle loading guns.

Variation has now gone off and deposit paid on a 1858 replica, so hopefully I should be shooting soon.

Thanks again for all the advice guys. Sorry if I got the terminology wrong, I am very new to blackpowder/muzzle loading guns.

Variation has now gone off and deposit paid on a 1858 replica, so hopefully I should be shooting soon.
    Now all you need is EVERYTHING that goes along with it.

tac, BP shooter since 1974.

Your not wrong. I've started compiling a list.

Out of interest, any idea if 25 grains of 777 will fit in a 1.75ml phial?? I'm not sure what size to buy.

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    And now for a completely differnt wrinkle you can get muzzle stuffers that use modern propellants and shotgun primers to avoid all that faff with cleaning corrosive junk out of your gun
    Gun control means using both hands.

Quote Originally Posted by urx View Post
    And now for a completely differnt wrinkle you can get muzzle stuffers that use modern propellants and shotgun primers to avoid all that faff with cleaning corrosive junk out of your gun
    Yep, Got a Uberti Anvil in 5" flavour. Cant hit a dam thing with it but at least there on the card now. Er, mostly.

Sir, you are obviously not reading my posts.

If by modern propellants you mean the BP subsitutes, Pyrodex, Triple 7 and Clean-shot, you will know from reading my posts that they are mostly a good deal more corrosive than BP. I have been shooting Pyrodex since 1979, and can tell you that left alone, it will happily much holes in a stainless steel barrel. They are simply more corrosive in a different way than BP.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Sir, you are obviously not reading my posts.

If by modern propellants you mean the BP subsitutes, Pyrodex, Triple 7 and Clean-shot, you will know from reading my posts that they are mostly a good deal more corrosive than BP. I have been shooting Pyrodex since 1979, and can tell you that left alone, it will happily much holes in a stainless steel barrel. They are simply more corrosive in a different way than BP.

tac
    I think urx is referring to nitro proofed muzzle loaders.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    I think urx is referring to nitro proofed muzzle loaders.
    You're right. Such an anomaly in the world of firearms is easy to overlook. Nowhere else on earth......

tac